New North Texas Uniforms

wardly

It's worked so well thus far. Who out there doesn't know North Texas?

If there's anything even more consistent at the school than changing everything, it's leaving the terrible things the same.

I'm going to expound a little bit, because this is f'ing ridiculous and it's starting to piss me off how ignorant our AD is being about this.

The most common question I receive outside the state, inside Texas, and in DFW is why I support the Philadelphia Eagles when I wear an NT hat. Great. I have to explain to them it's North Texas, to which the response everywhere except DFW is, "who?"

Ok, so then the eagle logo is off limits, because no one recognizes it. So now you're trying to sell merchandise with just "North Texas" or "UNT" on it. No one wants that, sorry. That's one of the reasons (beyond the multitude of other inept decisions and lack of effort) that our merchandise doesn't sell. You have the UT-Austin Longhorn, SMU Pony, TCU Horned Frog, and North Texas North Texas. Yeah, it looks stupid, and even if other schools in other areas of the country get away with spelling out their name, truth is in Texas you either have a logo, interlocked letters, or both.

So until the SOW makes regular appearances on TV in games and score recaps, no one knows what it is. No one wants to buy the gear that just says "North Texas" because, $150,000 font and all, it looks like something that could easily say "Lewisville High School" and no one would think anything of it.

RV is flat out wrong on this, and I think it's time that someone else steps in (Rawlins?) and puts their foot down on the branding. I'm tired of this bush league BS, and I'm tired of the athletic department not being able to get their message beyond Eagle Dr.

i posted sonething simular on "helments". since we are now officialy the "mean green", wouldn't an eagle be confusing on helment or uniform? just asking.

i posted sonething simular on "helments". since we are now officialy the "mean green", wouldn't an eagle be confusing on helment or uniform? just asking.

No, IMO. "Mean Green" is "officially" the nick name. The Eagle is still the mascot...hence the eagle talon hand sign, Scrappy the EAGLE, the fight song including the line "UNT Eagles fight fight fight".

http://www.unt.edu/traditions/

Then again, I guess some might be confused by the Ram (mascot) that the UNC Tarheels(nick name) have.

North%20Carolina%20Tar%20Heels.jpg

It's worked so well thus far. Who out there doesn't know North Texas?

If there's anything even more consistent at the school than changing everything, it's leaving the terrible things the same.

I'm going to expound a little bit, because this is f'ing ridiculous and it's starting to piss me off how ignorant our AD is being about this.

The most common question I receive outside the state, inside Texas, and in DFW is why I support the Philadelphia Eagles when I wear an NT hat. Great. I have to explain to them it's North Texas, to which the response everywhere except DFW is, "who?"

Ok, so then the eagle logo is off limits, because no one recognizes it. So now you're trying to sell merchandise with just "North Texas" or "UNT" on it. No one wants that, sorry. That's one of the reasons (beyond the multitude of other inept decisions and lack of effort) that our merchandise doesn't sell. You have the UT-Austin Longhorn, SMU Pony, TCU Horned Frog, and North Texas North Texas. Yeah, it looks stupid, and even if other schools in other areas of the country get away with spelling out their name, truth is in Texas you either have a logo, interlocked letters, or both.

So until the SOW makes regular appearances on TV in games and score recaps, no one knows what it is. No one wants to buy the gear that just says "North Texas" because, $150,000 font and all, it looks like something that could easily say "Lewisville High School" and no one would think anything of it.

RV is flat out wrong on this, and I think it's time that someone else steps in (Rawlins?) and puts their foot down on the branding. I'm tired of this bush league BS, and I'm tired of the athletic department not being able to get their message beyond Eagle Dr.

Good post. The "North Texas" on the helmets looks rediculous.

Edited by DeepGreen

No, IMO. "Mean Green" is "officially" the nick name. The Eagle is still the mascot...hence the eagle talon hand sign, Scrappy the EAGLE, the fight song including the line "UNT Eagles fight fight fight".

http://www.unt.edu/traditions/

Then again, I guess some might be confused by the Ram (mascot) that the UNC Tarheels(nick name) have.

North%20Carolina%20Tar%20Heels.jpg

i never new they had a ram as a macot, just thought they were the tarheels. in fact, i don't ever remember them being refered to as rams. but then, i don't know what IMO means either.

• Downvote 1

Yeah I really loved those uniforms prior to the Dodge era that were made by the one and only New Balance. What a great brand....psshhhh those uniforms sucked with the numbers that were gigantic. If you want consistency so bad in the uniform dept. of north texas then leave the uniforms alone, period! I get it, nobody wants any connection to the Dodge era but in all reality our uniforms were not the problem, it was the product on the field. And for what it's worth, most uniforms probably resemble some high school uniform somewhere in the country so who cares.

what are you 12?

who cares what brand makes the uniform, as long as that company makes a good uniform and provides merchandise for purchase I'm fine with it

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

what are you 12?

who cares what brand makes the uniform, as long as that company makes a good uniform and provides merchandise for purchase I'm fine with it

Oh yeah I'm the 12 year old. I started going to North Texas in 2004 and for the past 7 years a main topic of discussion has been the teams uniforms. Forgive me for discussing the brand. I guess only color and design are to be debated.

Oh yeah I'm the 12 year old. I started going to North Texas in 2004 and for the past 7 years a main topic of discussion has been the teams uniforms. Forgive me for discussing the brand. I guess only color and design are to be debated.

actually i really don't understand the whole fascination about the uniforms... I could care less if they play in pink tutu's so long as they are winning

guarantee you that if we are winning, no one would care what we are wearing

call me too "new school" but i love all the Nike stuff for TCU and Oregon. Give us something really cool and wild like that but keep the same green. Nike, while you're at it, make some really sweet Nike pullover polos in our beautiful green color.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

To be fair, North Carolina hasn't ever had the Ram logo on its helmet. Nor has Alabama that I know of, since they've kept their helmets old school forever. And there's solid reasoning not to have an eagle plastered all over when building the brand as Mean Green. So I think the SOW works best as a secondary logo. Put it on the field, some other small location on the uniform, use the wings somewhere, etc.

But I agree that I don't think it's confusing to have a nickname (Tarheels, Crimson Tide, Mean Green) that differs from the mascot (Ram, Elephant, Eagle). I just think you have to be careful where you use a mascot as a logo when it's not the official nickname.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

• 3 months later...

I know alot of people are gonna hate me for saying this but North Texas needs a rebranding on their uniforms. I personally hate the basic uniforms that Bama, Texas & Texas A&M use. North Texas uniforms should be Oregon esque (sp?). Let's be honest outside of northern Texas no one has a clue who North Texas, Mean Green or the Eagles are. So why not go with a modern day look?! As far as a helmet goes why not a UNT or interlocking NT logo, better than just writing North Texas. That's so f*cking lame. Gotta have a black alternate jersey.

Like these unis:

Oregon-Ducks1.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 15

I know alot of people are gonna hate me for saying this but North Texas needs a rebranding on their uniforms. I personally hate the basic uniforms that Bama, Texas & Texas A&M use. North Texas uniforms should be Oregon esque (sp?). Let's be honest outside of northern Texas no one has a clue who North Texas, Mean Green or the Eagles are. So why not go with a modern day look?! As far as a helmet goes why not a UNT or interlocking NT logo, better than just writing North Texas. That's so f*cking lame. Gotta have a black alternate jersey.

Like these unis:

Oregon-Ducks1.jpg

Many of us feel Oregon's are lame, besides, I would much rather be recognized as a winning team than a school with tricked up uniforms. Nobody knew who Boise State was or what they looked like until they started winning. I prefer to go that route.

• Upvote 1

Find the perfect eagle logo (Worm or SOW), put it on the helmet and leave it alone for the next 50 years and threaten any new future AD with a good ol' fashioned slobber-knockin' if they or some future new football coach wants to change it for "THEIR" tenure at North Texas.. That goes with the shade of green as well.

Words, ie, "North Texas" will never have the right font that will make all the people happy all the time.

UT and SMU have done quite well leaving their helmets alone most all my life which will be 61 this November; so have many, many other D1 football programs who didn't change their helmet look with every directional change of the wind or with every new regime (of which we've all seen a few at North Texas).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Many of us feel Oregon's are lame, besides, I would much rather be recognized as a winning team than a school with tricked up uniforms. Nobody knew who Boise State was or what they looked like until they started winning. I prefer to go that route.

I knew them for the blue field before they starting winning. Just sayin'.

Edited by biggiejerseys
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I would rather not contibute to our society (specifically the sports realm) spiraling even faster towards idiocracy (which I know is inevitable) and thus making me more insane. For the record I am 21 so don't worry old timers, not all of us youngsters our in support of the "new age" unis.

• Upvote 2

Find the perfect eagle logo (Worm or SOW), put it on the helmet and leave it alone for the next 50 years and threaten any new future AD with a good ol' fashioned slobber-knockin' if they or some future new football coach wants to change it for "THEIR" tenure at North Texas.. That goes with the shade of green as well.

Words, ie, "North Texas" will never have the right font that will make all the people happy all the time.

UT and SMU have done quite well leaving their helmets alone most all my life which will be 61 this November; so have many, many other D1 football programs who didn't change their helmet look with every directional change of the wind or with every new regime (of which we've all seen a few at North Texas).

Let's be honest, North Texas needs an iconic helmet logo that they'll have for the next 20, 30, 40, 50 years. Like what Miami has. The U on the helmet. We all know who that is when we turn the TV on and see the helmets.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Let's be honest, North Texas needs an iconic helmet logo that they'll have for the next 20, 30, 40, 50 years. Like what Miami has. The U on the helmet. We all know who that is when we turn the TV on and see the helmets.

ahh, new to the board i see

allow myself to introduce..... myself

• Upvote 1

ahh, new to the board i see

allow myself to introduce..... myself

I came across this board via google.

Let's put a "U" on our helmets. It doesn't look like any other team will be using that logo for a while.

GO MEAN GREEN

North Texas needs something but copying the U is a slap in the face. Miami has 5 Nat'l chips & 10 conference titles. And North Texas sucks. Face it. And Miami is one of the iconic football programs. Smh.

Edited by biggiejerseys
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Like these unis:

Oregon-Ducks1.jpg

That's because this forum is full of a bunch of OLD GEEZERS, who resist any change. You guys know its true, whats the average age of this forum's posters? Some where in the 40's?

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3