New North Texas Head Coach Poll

Harry

Due to the overwhelming response, I've added Jim Leavitt to the poll.

My first choice would be Mike Leach. I had an extreme dislike for the guy at Texas Tech but I can not deny what he did for that program. He united a student body that had become largely disenfranchised under Spike Dykes and he had unprecedented success. However, he comes with a lot of baggage and he's almost certainly well out of our price range. His ego is second to none and I believe he created a hostile, disrespectful fan base with a bad attitude...albeit a very loyal fan base.

My second choice is Jim Leavitt. He's already done everything we need our new coach to do: build a program from the ground up (we're in the cellar of, arguably, the worst conference in the FBS), recruit in a state with multiple top 20 programs, help lead his program into a more prestigious conference and, last but not least, WIN.

Someone enlighten me. What's the "skinny" on Jim Leavitt? What happened at USF?

Wikipedia... it's an amazing thing... Google helps too.

From Wikipedia (if you do not want to click or type):

On January 8, 2010, Leavitt was fired after an investigation by USF officials found that he had struck a player in the locker room during halftime of a game against Louisville the previous November 21. Leavitt claimed he was merely trying to console the player and never struck him. School officials found that Leavitt was not truthful about what happened, and also found that he had interfered with the investigation.[7] ESPN's Ivan Maisel reported that Leavitt's interference, which included telling several players and coaches to change their stories, was the biggest factor in the decision to fire him.[8] The Tampa Tribune reported that school president Judy Genshaft and athletic director Doug Woolard felt they had no choice but to fire Leavitt after he refused to admit he had done anything wrong.[9] Running backs coach Carl Franks was named interim coach of the Bulls[10] until January 14, 2010, when Skip Holtz was hired as head coach.[11]

Someone enlighten me. What's the "skinny" on Jim Leavitt? What happened at USF?

He got fired for grabbing a player by the throat. (after the player screwed up in a game). When ousted USF used the word "choke". There's a big difference, to me.....between grabbing someone by the throat and choking someone.

Anyway, it was weird.....because at one point, the player in question said this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4749780

Anyway, I wasn't there.....don't know what really happened. The man will be given a second chance by some school. What he didn't wasn't career ending. Whether we will take a chance....who knows? I doubt it.

I'm surprised Fran is leading this poll and there is little justification of why in the thread itself... so I'll give my vote a little defense:

Fran has coached teams at all levels of play - from sub D-I through AQ BCS schools. All have winning records and very little off-field flack

(I think the last thing I want is to be successful, yet be known as "The U. part 2").

The guy is a great recruiter, plain and simple.

He has enough pull, that he could bring in an amazing staff to coach under him (if the funding is there), including his son Brad who is the Head Coach at 2 time NJCAA National Champion Blinn College.

He leaves programs in better shape than when he found them. If he has to leave, then that will certainly mean that UNT will be an attractive place for the next coach.

Those of you who don't like him based off of his Alabama departure (which I would agree was very dishonest and crappy), I don't know that I would not have done the same. Texas A&M is a great place to coach and Alabama was going to be saddled with heavy sanctions.

As for his A&M departure due to his "newsletter", I think that maybe some of us on here would subscribe to this! Don't throw rocks in the glass house!

Go get him Rick!

Dick Bumpas-TCU-Defensive Cordinator

I would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on board with this hire, but in talking with some TCU alum it seems he has no interest in a head coaching gig. He's a defensive guy and likes it...kinda the college equivalent of Jim Johnson.

It will take the moxy and confidence of a name coach whose had some success in the FBS to turn UNT around; otherwise, with "up and comers" we are nothing but a low goals setting program as well as a coaches graveyard and in your hearts you know that is right. Hell, just look at our past 2 plus decades if you need proof of that.

Coach Fran could be the man but lets see who also wants to come check out our new stadium that also has skins on the wall, too. That level or pedigree of a name coach with FBS success will all say we initially built our stadium (if its the same seating as Fouts) too small (or at least think it) because they will have to recruit against that fact. Yet we may all be surprised who wants to come visit the Mean Green Village because we have been before with those who have inquired about our job in the past.

Leavitt is an interesting choice, too. Whats the high and low on him?

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Please add to the poll "None of the above"

thanks!

I don't mean this in an argumentative way, but really? None of the name guys OR a coordinator/assistant from another program OR potentially retaining the interim guy?

Who would you want to see us bring in? Is there someone else you've got in mind?