A Proven Name Or A Rising Star

Harry

First let me qualify this post by saying I know we all hope that Dodge and staff can get this ship righted but even the most optimistic fans are starting to realize the odds are against it. Dodge has been a class act and I know we all wish him the best.

I know that there are many who say we should get a name coach to help drive interest in the program. It makes sense and we need credibility to help build out the revenue possibilities the new stadium provides. However upon further review I bring up the name of Kevin Sumlin.

Clearly we won't lure Sumlin away from UofH. But we should consider what UofH did in their hire because it seems to have been a very good decision.

Sumlin was an assistant at OU before he took the job at Houston. Prior to that he had a very good career as an assistant at several quality programs under big name coaches. He learned how to win at this level and he paid his dues. He is also an outstanding recruiter.

We are hearing names like Franchione and Bower and they have done it before no doubt. But if there is another Sumlin type of candidate out there, a rising star that has a burning passion to be a successful head coach, it would be wise to consider him at UNT. Neinas is an expert on these types of searches and his ecperience will be invaluable.

I think it is important to start thinking about these things now and here's why. We are moving into a new stadium and time is of the essence! This does not need to drag on until January. We need to recruit. The BOR needs to understand the days of let's keep our compensation package in the middle of the Sun Belt are over. If you want a quality coach you will need to pay him and you will need to pay his assistants. Let's get creative, if it means we have to put up some wind turbines around the stadium to help or together the cash we should. RV can only do so much, he needs the financial support necessary to get a good coach and staff. We can't hold RV accountable if he doesn't get an adequate budget to hire the right guy.

One last point, TCU has Patterson and SMU has Jones. We should look for a coach that has unique differences that can help us recruit against them.

First you have to decide if you favor an offensive-minded coach or defensive guru. Then younger coach or older coach?

I vote No to just an upcoming assistant, unless they've had previous head coaching experience too. We tried that with Jerry Moore, Matt Simon, and DD. Not too good of results overall. As we've seen, there is a huge learning curve being a head coach on the college level vs just an assistant. Some coaches are Xs and Os guys only and not good at the multi-tasking, managing people, selecting staff, and PR stuff.

Factors that will also be important (not by priority)

1. salary requirement

2. Texas connection

3. recruiting and Texas high school connections

4. Good PR guy, will talk up the program

5. BCS level experience, multiple stops

6. mentors

7. likes green helmets with logos only

Neinas suggested "rising star" Chuck Long to San Diego State as well.

There is no person who will make the decision easier. But, if this season continues to tank, we'll be in the pooper. Our 2011 roster is going to be thin enough already thanks to some awful recruiting and personnel decisions by the current fellow in charge.

This thing needs a proven entity. Chuck Long was a heck of an offensive coordinator at OU. But, that didn't mean he would be a great head coach.

We are in dire need. To me, a rising star is too much of a gamble at a point where we don't even have the chips to be in the game.

Look, John L. Smith is the freaking Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers coach at Arkansas, for crying out loud! He wouldn't jump back in the game for a couple of hundred thousand? There are a couple of dozen guys out there like him. We need to get one.

A couple of years ago, I'd have said go with a rising star. Now, I'd rather see and experience, proven entity leading this thing out of the ditch.

Look, John L. Smith is the freaking Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers coach at Arkansas, for crying out loud! He wouldn't jump back in the game for a couple of hundred thousand?

I'll take a double dose of that sort of attitude and passion from our head coach.

And, super extra bonus - He managed to keep himself from cursing! It's the best of all worlds.

We have got to have a proven coach with a track record of turning around programs and someone who can energize the fanbase. I have been a Dodge supporter and think he has done wonders for some parts of the programs ( cleaning it up, getting students to class, being a class act ect...) but in the long run wins and losses are what determanis a successful football program and nothing else. I would personally like to see us hire Dennis Franchione, though im not sure we could get him here. He was successful at of all places, Pittsburg State, Texas State (back when it was SW Texas State), New Mexico and TCU....if he can do it at those places...he can do it here at a growing Univeristy of 36,000 + with a brand new stadium and a dedicated athletics fee. Plus he has experience recruting in Texas and would be a name that would get us some national attention (something we are needing.) I hope RV makes a list of former college HC's and calls them all untill he gets one, an up and coming OC or DC is just not what this program needs right now.

Go Mean Green!

1. how much to buy out TD.

2. then ask RV how much NT has to spend on a new coach.

3. why not Canales if RV pulls the plug.

IMHO, I hope TD gets his 5th year.....because the man has been plauged with adversity since signing the dotted line. It is almost taking a two legged dog to a Del Rio dog fight.

Plagued with adversity??? How abut pulling your TD glasses off and seeing that most of that was brought on by himself. Even with the injuries, it's his fault this team has no viable option at QB. Tune, a DD walk on, is his starting QB with nothing but walk-ons (other than Thompson)down the depth chart???? They aren't stupid, there's a reason Riley was moved to WR from QB.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IMHO, I hope TD gets his 5th year.....because the man has been plauged with adversity since signing the dotted line. It is almost taking a two legged dog to a Del Rio dog fight.

What adversity that was not his own choosing? He has not done a damn thing on the field, he has made some questionable personnel moves that have failed glaringly, he had a ton more to work with than previous coaches, he recruited many players who either left the program or never even qualified. So again what adversity has he faced that the other 119 coaches have not faced every season as well. I will give you the injuries this year, but that would be it.

_40052338_faith_203_scopfeatures.jpg

I'll take a double dose of that sort of attitude and passion from our head coach.

And, super extra bonus - He managed to keep himself from cursing! It's the best of all worlds.

WOW! That's such a Corkey Nelson moment. It felt great watching that. I'm with you Greek....I'll take a double dose of that ATTITUDE!

I vote an up and comer who has been part of building/re-building a program.

How about someone who is in the decision making role giving Hayden Fry a call and asking his opinion. After all, he was the most successful in turning things around here at North Texas. Ask him if there is another Hayden Fry out there wanting to get his chance.

Does anyone doubt that someone like Charlie Weatherbie could come in here and win 3 or 4 games next year with the returning talent?

I obviously think we need a bigger name hire, but ole Charlie always impressed me with the way he coul pull DFW players to that stinking pile of turd known as Monroe, La. Also impressed me with how he developed players.

I watched the NT vs Army game and was not happy with the outcome even though rooting for NT the whole game. I wanted TD to win both Rice and Army games because of what he has done off the field to clean up the program. Even before the season began B. Vito predicted a 3-9 season with wins over FAU, Ark St., and WKU in Dave Campbell's 2010 Texas Football and he further indicated that the two games of the year are Rice and FAU.

I will still be pulling for NT in all the remaining games and would like the team to run the table so that TD will get 7 wins. Many people are looking at woe is me with the injuries. I think that is bolony stuffing. These young men were recruited to play for NT and have the skills to do so the only issue is will the coaching staff give them the opportunity to play and put them in what would be their most effective position on the field.

Now for the decision as to the type of coach my guess is that RV has by this time gotten the report from the consultant (Neinas sp?)and will probably contact the consultant if TD can not win 7 games. I trust RV because of what he has brought in to NT in terms of coaches as there have been only two that have yet to produce, the women's BB coach and TD. I figure this season should be a breakout for the women's BB even though there has been a turnover in staff. Football it depends can TD win 7, if yes then great, if not then at the point in the season when it becomes apparent that 7 wins can not be achieved then RV will have some decisions to make. The biggest is do you temporarily promote from within and remove TD or let him finish the season then remove him as HFC.

Also given the uncertainity of all the conference realignment it would probably be a coach who has the skills to recruit effectively and would probably cause a big splash with the hire. NT in my opinion will need someone who understands that you can bring in quality student atheletes who have solid character and can play along with a solid reputation of running a clean program but can win!!

That is my $0.02

How about someone who is in the decision making role giving Hayden Fry a call and asking his opinion. After all, he was the most successful in turning things around here at North Texas. Ask him if there is another Hayden Fry out there wanting to get his chance.

I have wondered why Dodge has never done this, and had this thought over the weekend. It is quite obvious that Fry wants to see NT succeed, and I am sure he would embrace this type of involvement with the program. He did so much with so little during his time here, that I am sure he would have a million ideas considering the facilities now available to a head coach.

Heck, hire me for half of TD's salary. I'll stand on the sideline with direct connection to Coach Fry in the pressbox and just do what he says.

• Upvote 1

For every Kevin Sumlin there are two Chuck Longs so we need to pare the odds as much as we can.

Either of the Bowdens would be a great choice because not only have they done it on their own they also have their dad's great reputation and name identity. Even though it's unlikely that either has recruited in Texas the Bowden name would draw some great prospects. A Bowden would increase ticket sales and MGC membership and pay for itself in rather short order.

A proven name can easily be sold to the Metroplex and alumni whereas they may take a wait and see attitude with a coordinator.

If we had a fine recent history then I'd go for the rising star but our back's to the wall and in my opinion only a proven name can bail us out.

Does anyone doubt that someone like Charlie Weatherbie could come in here and win 3 or 4 games next year with the returning talent?

I obviously think we need a bigger name hire, but ole Charlie always impressed me with the way he coul pull DFW players to that stinking pile of turd known as Monroe, La. Also impressed me with how he developed players.

Joking?

Well, if TD gets his 5'th year that means he would have taken a tremendously injured football team and (most likely) won th Sun Belt Conference to get to a bowl. It would be a miracle for one who has done everything right in Denton except have enough "W's--the most important criteria to boot. Many of us have prefaced our Mean Green football future posts with..."if TDodge does not have his miracle of 7 wins..."

Many of us never dreamed after the Iowa Hawkeyes hired Hayden Fry that this football program (and athletic program truth be told) would go through so much freakin' non-stop adversity as we witnessed a cast of thousands Fry "wanna'be's" go through the UNT Athletic Department turnstile-like front door. Many of us said "this too shall pass" but it really never seemed to.

Even Fry's successor (Jerry Moore) who in 2 years only had a .500 W/L record was never fully accepted in Denton because of leftover talent Fry left that Moore tried to put his brand on by virtually taking that talent and changing the offense to one that did not fit the talent; that is, his non-success at trying to put a square peg in a round hole pissed off most of our elect. North Texas alums/fans were literally shocked when Texas Tech took him as their HFC after only 2 years and a .500 W/L record at UNT. FWIW, I think they eventually sufferred a little shock of their own.

GMG!

Our Next Coach? IF WE NEED TO HIRE ONE, THAT IS: A known name who may have a wart or 2 (like Fry did post-SMU firing) but one who wants our job so bad to prove himself that he will accept our salary (which I think will be higher than most of us now would ever believe)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It is hard to say what the best choice is. I don't think you really know until you interview these guys and whoever you hire...you will know within a season or two if it was the right choice or not. I think Franchione would be a great hire since I think he wants to redeem himself after what happened in Aggie Land. What makes him more intriguing is the fact that he was at TCU and made them into a damn good team so he can apply those skills to NT.

This is where RV makes a lot of his bucks. I realize you have your hits and misses on occasion but I don't think he has any room to make a bad or wrong hire so whoever he chooses...whether its a proven coach or up and comer...it damn sure better be a good one.

I have wondered why Dodge has never done this, and had this thought over the weekend. It is quite obvious that Fry wants to see NT succeed, and I am sure he would embrace this type of involvement with the program. He did so much with so little during his time here, that I am sure he would have a million ideas considering the facilities now available to a head coach.

Heck, hire me for half of TD's salary. I'll stand on the sideline with direct connection to Coach Fry in the pressbox and just do what he says.

This, this, and this all day long.

Look, I guess we don't know whether or not Dodge has personally contacted Fry. But, you have to wonder whether Dodge even believed he needed advice for anyone.

Remember, this is a guy who in his first game apparently approved a game plan that included trying to man up on an OU team with three WRs who would soon be in the NFL (and, coincidentally, the QB and TE and some OLs from that squad are also now in the NFL). It's as though he hadn't seen a college football game in more than a decade. No cognizance at all of the impending talent difference.

If there was ever a guy who believed in his own press clippings, it was Todd Dodge. How else do you explain coming on board with so few assistants with college experience? That's having no respect for what college coaches do day in and day out, year after year. There's a fine line between having confidence in your system and pure foolishness. We've seen a lot of pure foolishness.

Then, he believe in his son's press clippings. I was never sold on Riley as a QB; many of you were. I took a lot of heat for saying Riley was too small and could get hurt.

In the private, secret, VIP section of GMG.com, I wonder last year about whether Dodge should forget about the coaching angle and take up the dad angle on how much damage Riley was absorbing in so short a time period beginning with the broken collarbone against Abilene in his final high school game. I said then, and still say, you've got to think about the after-football life of these kids. You'd think fellow UT alum Earl Campbell would come to mind to Dodge.

I guess if you want to take the long view, you could say, "Dodge was a gambler"..."High risk, high reward." But, dadgum. You'd think he'd have bent the ear of someone a little longer in the tooth once things really started going south in 2008. It's not like Darrell Dickey left us with much wiggle room to begin with on getting this thing to true respectability. What little cache he may have had, though, is now gone.

• Upvote 1