Does Coach Dodge Get Mulligan?

MeanGreenSig

When I play golf I don't give mulligans, TD is lucky he was not playing with me because I felt last year was his last chance third strike and your out. No 4th strikes in MLB, no mulligans in the PGA so welcome to division 1a.

Metaphors mixing is fun.

It's a gutterball that ought to earn someone a trip to the penalty box, that's for sure.

SHUTTLECOCK.

• Upvote 1

The inconsistency at QB is Dodge's fault. Vizza quit (after throwing 5,146 yards and 32 touchdowns no less) because "the program is just not what I expected." Riley Dodge turned out to be the wrong choice for QB. Dodge has only been snakebit this year, but even then, Riley's his Plan C?

Ok, what is the status on Thompson's fibula?? What another QB down and maybe out for most of the year or season? That is being snake bit.

Emmitt, I would love to be your supervisor. Would make sure you could make all the games, give you a cush desk job until I get COPS to film in Garland and make you the ride around guy.....you will be famous.

Ok, what is the status on Thompson's fibula?? What another QB down and maybe out for most of the year or season? That is being snake bit.

Emmitt, I would love to be your supervisor. Would make sure you could make all the games, give you a cush desk job until I get COPS to film in Garland and make you the ride around guy.....you will be famous.

Emmitt.... HE KNOWS YOU'RE BLACK!!!! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!! #stormfront-a-comin

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No. Other teams are expected to deal with these issues. We can not make excuses.

Would you live up to such high standards? Would any of us? Is Dodge supposed to turn the water boy into a winning QB? Good grief, some of you need to get real. This is not an NFL team. This is not an upper-tier D-I program with an 80 million dollar football budget. This is laughable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Would you live up to such high standards? Would any of us? Is Dodge supposed to turn the water boy into a winning QB? Good grief, some of you need to get real. This is not an NFL team. This is not an upper-tier D-I program with an 80 million dollar football budget. This is laughable.

Get real? What's laughable is thinking a 5-34 coach should get another three years to prove himself! You don't have to be an upper-tier D-I program not to suck. There are plenty of teams with UNT's resources -- or less -- that are not as consistently awful as UNT has been under Dodge. Barring some miraculous run through the Sun Belt that starts next weekend, Dodge is compiling a record of futility that future UNT coaches will have trouble meeting. He has been historically bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here's my problem:

Most of you who read this board work and I'm sure make a decent amount of money. If your subordinates are slackin, you as the boss need to pick up the slack or youre going to get canned. Plain and simple. You also need to adapt. I'm sure the majority of you dont have 4 years to do a crappy job because frankly, people need to make money/run an effective organization.

So I think that's what it comes down to. Stuff happens. You need to adapt. Dodge has had four years to improve- he went from 2 wins to one win to 2 wins. That's not improvement. When you are making $250k, I expect something of you. Plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

Oklahoma lost a ton of people last year and still managed an 8-5 in a much tougher conference and a much tougher out of conference schedule.

We've got no dadgum depth, and that's the coaching staff's fault.

Just look at the QB situation:

-Nathan Tune: a Darrel Dicky walk-on

-Derek Thompson: a kid with offers from us and...Eastern New Mexico

Those are the only two big enough to play QB at this level. The rest:

-Riley Dodge: Too small to play QB at this level

-Chase Baine: A walk-on without the ability to play QB at this level

-Derek Teegarden: Also too small to play QB at this level, moved to WR until all of the injuries

-John Dodson: Another walk-on who won't have the talent to play at this level

This whole thing went wrong in Year One when Dodge screwed over Daniel Meager for the sake of playing Giovanni Vizza. Then, he brought in his son and played up the fantasy that he was a college QB, running off Vizza.

This guy Todd Dodge was supposed to be some sort of QB Guru/Genius. My backside. He's no such thing. He's a high school coach that got on a win streak.

And, here's the worst part for us - because he's a local hero, many of our fans and supporters won't admit his faults just because he's a "nice guy." It has made it that much harder for Rick Villareal to wake up and end this thing.

Never, never, never, never, never, never again hire (1) a high school coach, or (2) a guy with a cult following!

If Rick Villareal didn't start lighting up some coaches' cell phones after Riley's second play turnover, then why is he still our AD? This thing is over. Every objective person who still bothers to glance our way out of pity can see it. Just end it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This whole thing went wrong in Year One when Dodge screwed over Daniel Meager for the sake of playing Giovanni Vizza.

I agree with this. Especially after the SMU game at Ford. Meager should have finished out that season. Bad decision by Dodge.

Then, he brought in his son and played up the fantasy that he was a college QB, running off Vizza.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Vizza saw someone coming in with all kinds of accolades, got scared, cut & run. The guy is a tiddy-sucker and I'm glad he's gone. Vizza was not "run off" by anyone but his own cowardice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I couldn't disagree with this more. Vizza saw someone coming in with all kinds of accolades, got scared, cut & run. The guy is a tiddy-sucker and I'm glad he's gone. Vizza was not "run off" by anyone but his own cowardice.

Ridiculous. He threw for 5,000 yards in two seasons and decided he didn't want to warm the bench behind Riley Dodge. Looking at the product we've put on the field, who can blame him?

No, Daddy ran off the QB to make room for the kid "we" wanted.

Besides we hold the head coach accountable for the depth chart.

Dickey didn't have anyone after Smith died and he didn't get a mulligan.

I still contend that if Andrew Smith doesn't die, OR Joey Byerly does his homework, OR Daniel Meager gets healthy fast enough to actually participate in practice and use his full arm strength in his freshman season... We never go off the cliff and none of the past 6 years of misery ever happens.

If it hadn't been for the series of tragedy/stupidity/disaster at QB, we wouldn't have collapsed. We probably wouldn't have gone undefeated again, but we damn sure wouldn't have dropped to 9 losses.