Key Play Of The Game.........gosh I Hate That Rule

calvin

We score right at the end of the half and i thought for sure we would be going in at 14-7 and getting the ball back to start the third. But we cross arms and get a stupid 15 yard penalty for it. He crossed his arms, big effin deal. Man college football wears me out sometimes with this rule. Now we give them the ball inside our 50 and the momentum swings back their way after it takes them no time to score to make it 21-7. That call, to me, was the biggest play of the game. The game is totally different if it is 14-7 at half, with us going in with the momentum.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't agree with you more. I bitched the rest of the game about that game changer. The thing that really chaps me is that the act could barely be seen. On one or two of Clemson's touchdowns most of the team went into the end zone to celebrate and nothing is called in the way of excessive celebration.

• Upvote 1

I did not have a problem with the call. I had a problem with the behavior of the player. Apparently Coach Dodge felt the same way because he was quoted in the Denton newspaper as having said "It is something we worked on all through the off season. When you score, act like you have been there before and hand the ball to the official. Don't be selfish and try to bring glory to yourself". Go down to the bench and celebrate with your teammates.

I did not have a problem with the call. I had a problem with the behavior of the player. Apparently Coach Dodge felt the same way because he was quoted in the Denton newspaper as having said "It is something we worked on all through the off season. When you score, act like you have been there before and hand the ball to the official. Don't be selfish and try to bring glory to yourself". Go down to the bench and celebrate with your teammates.

I don't like the rule but we know it exists, and we need to play like we have been there before. I think it was a good time to have this penalty and the result it had. I bet the coaches will use this example to really hammer it home.

That was one terrible and huge call!

I agree this was a crappy "lets help the home team when we get the chance" kind of call. Although it may have been by the book "Legal", it was a reeeeeal reach. Had it NOT been called, I dont think there was one Clemson fan out of 75000 that would have noticed or cared. I would like to call this ref out and see if he has any integrity concerning this matter. NOW that he has established HIS standard for this infraction....will he continue to call it every chance he can 'Legally" use it !!! I dont think so !!!!

Changed the entire game. Could have been 14-7 going into half, with us getting ball to start the second... instead, momentum shifted, blah blah blah.

Oh well. I didn't expect to win the game, but I saw a lot of things that give me hope for the season. Seeing our guys sustain long drives and control the clock made my NT pants go crazy.

• Upvote 1

I think it was considered more of a taunting of the fans because he sort of made the motion towards them - which to be fair I have seen called elsewhere before.

I saw him give a a salute (military style) to the fans. Is that excessive celebration by NCAA rules?!?

I agree this was a crappy "lets help the home team when we get the chance" kind of call. Although it may have been by the book "Legal", it was a reeeeeal reach. Had it NOT been called, I dont think there was one Clemson fan out of 75000 that would have noticed or cared. I would like to call this ref out and see if he has any integrity concerning this matter. NOW that he has established HIS standard for this infraction....will he continue to call it every chance he can 'Legally" use it !!! I dont think so !!!!

the ref doesn't make the rules, he enforces them. our player was wrong, and deserved the call. it was a bush league grandstand from a player who showed no class and acted as if he had never see the end zone before. his action was a selfish play, which cost us a td. sit him down for a game and maybe he will grow up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

"the ref doesn't make the rules, he enforces them. our player was wrong, and deserved the call. it was a bush league grandstand from a player who showed no class and acted as if he had never see the end zone before. his action was a selfish play, which cost us a td. sit him down for a game and maybe he will grow up."

I strongly disagree. Our player did nothing wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the ref doesn't make the rules, he enforces them. our player was wrong, and deserved the call. it was a bush league grandstand from a player who showed no class and acted as if he had never see the end zone before. his action was a selfish play, which cost us a td. sit him down for a game and maybe he will grow up.

Give me a break. The Clemson players celebrated after TDs, as did every red-blooded American who scored a TD in college football. It was UNT's first TD of the season, against a tough opponent, on a big stage, and a 19-year-old kid scores a TD--to say his celebration afterward showed "no class" is way out of line on your part. Looking back, do I wish he hadn't? Sure. But your reflections on his character are way out of line.