Wind Turbines At New Stadium

cdizzle86

This stuff is so stupid and overblown. Please keep the environmental boondoggles away from our new stadium. Even T. Boone Pickens is backpedaling on the cost effectiveness of wind power these days.

Just keep that crap as far away from the stadium as possible. And, the neighborhood should be concerned:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/18/AR2006041801188.html

"Along the coast of Nantucket, Mass. -- the only sufficiently shallow spot on the New England coast -- a coalition of anti-wind groups and summer homeowners, among them the Kennedy family, also seems set to block Cape Wind, a planned offshore wind farm."

The cost benefits have never been proven. They are noisy. They look like crap. Even leftist biologists complain about the effect on birds; and, in another study, whales...although, that wouldn't be a problem in Denton (or, would it :ph34r: ).

Look, if a solution seems too simple, it usually is too simple.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

This stuff is so stupid and overblown. Please keep the environmental boondoggles away from our new stadium. Even T. Boone Pickens is backpedaling on the cost effectiveness of wind power these days.

Just keep that crap as far away from the stadium as possible. And, the neighborhood should be concerned:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/18/AR2006041801188.html

"Along the coast of Nantucket, Mass. -- the only sufficiently shallow spot on the New England coast -- a coalition of anti-wind groups and summer homeowners, among them the Kennedy family, also seems set to block Cape Wind, a planned offshore wind farm."

The cost benefits have never been proven. They are noisy. They look like crap. Even leftist biologists complain about the effect on birds; and, in another study, whales...although, that wouldn't be a problem in Denton (or, would it :ph34r: ).

Look, if a solution seems too simple, it usually is too simple.

...And stay off my lawn you young whipersnappers! Do you live in Denia, Fake?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

$2.2 million awarded for UNT for the stadium site. All necessary measures were obviously taken, otherwise the State of Texas would not have awarded $2.2 million to UNT.

Read more about the wind turbines at the stadium here: http://www.seco.cpa.state.tx.us/arra/sep/renewable/renew_awards.php

Pretty cool...thanks for the info.

I have to disagree with you FLF...I've always thought wind farms looked cool.

I think it will look cool to have 3 wind turbines towering over the stadium...a very unique feature of our stadium (even more so than the awesome "wings" in the endzone :huh: ).

• Upvote 1

This was a big part of selling the stadium to the students. For some reason, 18-20 year olds have these pie-in-the-sky dreams of running one of the world's biggest economies on sunshine and unicorn farts. And UNT administrators are buying into it as well.

The students voted for a $5 environmental impact fee charged to all students and to appoint a student committee to decide how to spend the money. They proposed building organic farms to provide food products to the cafeteria, as if the food couldn't get worse. They also campaigned on the idea of putting wind turbines on top of some of the buildings on campus.

Ahh, to be young and idealistic.

Yes, but some don't outgrow it. They grow up and use others people's money to fund the unicorn farts, such as with this project.

• Upvote 4

College students are responsible for most major changes in the American world. Womens rights, Civil rights, Retreat out of Vietnam, MicroSoft, Apple, Napster, Facebook, etc. I'm excited to see what today's youth can come up with. A green investment fund and wind turbines?? What will they think of next??

Uhhhhhhh...NO!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

College students are responsible for most major changes in the American world. Womens rights, Civil rights, Retreat out of Vietnam, MicroSoft, Apple, Napster, Facebook, etc. I'm excited to see what today's youth can come up with. A green investment fund and wind turbines?? What will they think of next??

Don't forget XHamster

Yes, but some don't outgrow it. They grow up and use others people's money to fund the unicorn farts, such as with this project.

+1 for you this morning. You are 100% CORRECT and spot on!

On the other hand, I am not opposed to using private industry and private funding for such projects. It's not so much the wind turbines that I oppose, it's the use of taxpayer dollars to force this stuff on the country. It's another "agenda" that seems to be gathering steam because it's a "feel good" agenda thought up by those same folks who "never grow up" and think it's great as long as "other people's money" is doing the funding. Much easier to spend "other people's money". Just ask to Bozos in D.C.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A good spot to watch the Clemson game in Houston?

• Upvote 2

To sort of quote the press release:

"The University of North Texas (UNT) will install three (3) 100 kW wind turbines on the site of the new LEED Gold Certified football stadium. The site was selected because the 40-meter tall turbines will become an eyesore on the University campus."

• Downvote 1

There that is more accurate now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was referring to the anti-Vietnam war protesting that started because the National Guard killed a bunch of college students at Kent State. As a result, college student across the country rallied in protest, including UNT students. Ending slavery and establishing civil rights are about 100 years apart. Do they not offer history classes at UNT anymore??

Not sure about the history classes... When I was at North Texas, I was too busy inventing the cotton gin and programming a crude precursor to Pong to actually go to any classes.

• Upvote 1