Thanks To All Of You!

Harry

As we get closer to two-a-days and the start of the football season, I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for all their support of the site over the years.

It's been a great run (15 Years damn I'm old now!!), and we appreciate everyone for helping us to make this such a fun place to talk everything North Texas!!!

Now that the stadium is becoming a reality before our eyes, it is hard not to be optimistic about the future and what it holds for the Mean Green.

We have been running this site since 1995. During that time we have experienced many highs and lows. I've stated this before but part of what makes this site so special to me is all of the Mean Green friends that I have made along the way. It's been a lot of fun. I know when we stand shoulder to shoulder in the new stadium it will be a special moment for all of us. I also see the last game in Fouts as being emotional as well. That is the stadium I attended when I was a student at UNT. I went there when my wife was my girlfriend and when my kids were running around in diapers. A lot of great moments were had there. It ain't pretty but it is ours and a lot of our history will remain there.

GoMeanGreen.com is an independent site that represents the Mean Green fans and as long as I have anything to do with it it will remain that way. We all share a passion for UNT. While we also maintain a positive can do attitude because we are fans but we also want to be realistic and call a spade a spade. The reason for our success over the years is you, the fans who have brought your unique insight and passion here for all to see.

I want to thank RV, Eric Capper and the entire AD, who has been very supportive of us. RV has come to this board many times to address the questions and concerns of the MG Nation and he has always been willing to help us with podcasts and interviews. I also want to thank our sponsors who help us keep the lights on.

In the future, you will begin to see other people start to tie their sails to UNT. This is to be expected, just look at the size of the enrollment, the location and the investment in facilities that have transpired. I think that with the new stadium, people who doubted Mean Green Athletics in the past will be hard pressed not to jump on board. It will be much easier to see UNT as a viable player and that is a good thing.

I still want to take a moment to thank the die hard fans who have been here with us through the tough times. We also welcome new fans with open arms. It's you, the community of Mean Green fans that we have here that has made this site so special. We will continue to do everything we can to make this site the best that it can be now and what I expect to be a very bright future. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!

Go Mean Green!!!

Harry Miers (UNT BBA '90)

This post has been promoted to an article

Harry thanks for everything you've done for GMG. Although I'm not gonna lie, I still really miss your in depth coverage of 2-a-days back in the GMG Premium club. You gave excellent indepth write-ups that totally out covered what Vito and Meangreensports are doing now. It was well worth the $$$.

• Upvote 1

Harry thanks for everything you've done for GMG. Although I'm not gonna lie, I still really miss your in depth coverage of 2-a-days back in the GMG Premium club. You gave excellent indepth write-ups that totally out covered what Vito and Meangreensports are doing now. It was well worth the $$$.

Hey H-Town, thanks for that I'm glad you enjoyed it. We will be covering two-a-days much more closely this year. Part of the problem has been access. Dodge has not allowed media to be as involved as in the past years. Not saying that is good or bad, but trying to cover the team through the fence is a challenge. There is a difference between looking at practices with your own eyes and making evaluations as opposed to just getting the coaches perspective. Of course getting both is the best.

How big was the community in 1995? When I found the site in 2001 or so I'd guess there were only around 100-150 total members.

Not as big that's for sure, maybe 40-50 in the first couple of years. Maybe even 10-25 that first year. But there were some doozy threads back then. First everyone was shocked that there actually were other diehard mean greeners (i know i was glad not to be alone and crazy) and there were always new people finding the board with some hot opinions. There should be a thread with names from over the years that got things stirred up. Soilent Green and Tic Vanilla are two i remember. It's been a soap opera (yeah i've played my part) for sure but the good times and good friends always made it worth it. Thanks Harry!.

It's been 15 years for GMG.com already, Harry?!? And you think your old? LOL! I'm going to have to start going to church to study for finals myself! :innocent:

Great job, though, Harry to you and all who have made this forum a mission of devotion for dear ol' alma mater.

15 years? :blink:

PS: One of the things I've always observed on GoMeanGreen.com is how our alums all seem to have expectations and bars set for Mean Green athletics (seemedly) based from the eras each respectively attended UNT.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Same here

Congratulations to you, Harry! This board has been one of the prime reasons that interest in North Texas Football has the following it enjoys. Well done!

I am proud to say that I have been here since the beginning. I think I found the site through "Webcrawler". (Anyone remember that?) If I recall, this is the fourth or fifth generation of the actual site.

What is interesting is how the posters come and go in waves. A few people take control of the board and post vigorously for a few years and then they are gone. Posters pop up in their place and the process repeats.

Besides Cerebus and Harry, of course, I recall Silver and Gray Eagle. Stebo was TOTG (It took me some time to figure that out1). Tic Vanilla was great! What happened to Whitman Mayo, Rowlett Eagle? The others?

It has been some trying times. What year was it when the basketball team and football team won a combined six games?

For an out-of-towner like me, this is my prime connection to our Mean Green. I don't post much as I don't have the same sort of access to you that are in Denton and I have long learned to keep my mouth shut when you don't know what you are talking about.

Harry, if I but wore a hat, I'd doff it to you.

For an out-of-towner like me, this is my prime connection to our Mean Green. I don't post much as I don't have the same sort of access to you that are in Denton and I have long learned to keep my mouth shut when you don't know what you are talking about.

My feelings exactly. Thanks Harry!

Harry, thanks for the hard work. I can remember back in the day surfing the 'net looking for places like this and coming across Lee's Mean Green Board and then the first incarnation of this board. Though I don't know any of the other posters on this board personally, I consider all of us friends. GMG!!

Harry

I am one of the folks that are out of town and do appreciate you and all the contributors on the board. The forum you began has grown and offers a unique perspective. How many boards do you know that gets the AD on a pod cast to give us an update on the Mean Green.

Keep up the good work and can you advise when we will get an update from RV on the football team and when we can expect to find out about when the out side consultant will arrive and then complete his work.

GMG

Thank you, Harry.

I'll toast you and your creation that keeps me tied to the Mean Green Nation with a cold Shiner in a few minutes. Hell, I'll even save one for you for when we meet again and start another season of "Mr. Todd's Wild Ride".

Harry, I totally agree with the others! Thanks to you...GoMeanGreen.com has brought us lots of fun, excitement and MeanGreen information. Ofcourse, I have cussed others....as they have cussed my over-optimism at times. But, you have to be congratulated for the time and the investment you have made to make this work. This is an important part of UNT Athletics!!!! THANKS H-Man! Rick "ParksAndRecRick" Herold

Edited by ParksAndRecRick

I joined this site about a week after i moved on campus as a transfer student in 07...i didn't know a dam thing about UNT or its sports teams, i am now a fully passionate crazy mean green wig wearing nut. Its all because of this site and the friends i have made. Thank you Harry and everyone else running this site. I may not know or have been around for the history of north texas, but as a student and soon to be alum (graduating dec 2010) i hope we have some great new history with the new stadium and a bright future for the mean green nation. CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 1