Riley Out At Qb

What do you think now Javia Hall?

That was one of the first thoughts that came into my head as well. Or, what do you think now Giovanni Vizza?

Like others have already mentioned, this really puts a new level of uncertainty on this season. Regardless of whether or not Thompson turns out to be all-conference, he has three minutes of college football experience thus far. This is Dodge's fourth season and it's also the fourth season there's been instability at, arguably, the most important position in his style of offense. I don't blame either Dodge but, unless you think game-day experience is over-rated, then I don't see how this can be viewed as anything other than another setback. On the bright side, at least the coaching staff will have six months to get the new QB ready.

Best of luck to Riley in making the transition to WR.

• Upvote 4

I think it helps the run game because we now have 2 big arms that can keep the defense on their heels if Canales takes the leash off of the QB's. They are not running threats or at least that is the opinion but with more established routes and use of TE's the running game should flourish.

That's how I see it as well. With two deep ballers we can now stretch the field a bit more. That does nothing but open up the middle for the TE and the RB position. And the fact we will have a fullback/H back at times means we will see more multiple play sets than we have ever seen during the Dodge era.

It's all GOOD and all GREEN!

Rick

I think we already saw what this offense looks like without a viable running threat at QB for the 2 years prior to Riley starting. Vizza and Meager both had good enough arms to stretch the field but we couldn't run the ball to save our lives. We very much looked like Texas Tech. Heck, we even saw the same thing last year in the games that Tune started.

• Upvote 2

I hate to see this happen. Riley took alot of heat in his 1 year starting. I think his injury mainly goes back to his serious seperated shoulder in high school. I think he will be able to get some quality pt at the wr spot.

As far as what it means for the QB spot, I think it does several things. With Thompson you don't have the same running ability at the QB spot. You have more of a Tebow style runner, straight up the middle with his 6'4 225 frame for 3-5 yds. Thompson has a cannon for an arm. You will see him be able to open the field up with the deep ball that RD wasn't able to do.

• Upvote 1

...some things that aren't being considered here.

1. Riley is still here. He IS capable of playing as QB in a pinch. ...so he IS the 3rd string/emergency QB, no need to bring in another.

2. He can still be used as a running threat at QB. Picture the play where he's lined up as a RB next to the QB. Who's gonna get the snap? He only has to throw out of that formation once in a while to keep the other side honest.

I fully support whatever is best for his health, and if he can't make it through a season, the team is better off with a QB who can. Let Tune and Thompson battle until the first game for the starting slot and then hopefully they both can get some time this season.

• Upvote 1

I hate to see this happen. Riley took alot of heat in his 1 year starting. I think his injury mainly goes back to his serious seperated shoulder in high school. I think he will be able to get some quality pt at the wr spot.

As far as what it means for the QB spot, I think it does several things. With Thompson you don't have the same running ability at the QB spot. You have more of a Tebow style runner, straight up the middle with his 6'4 225 frame for 3-5 yds. Thompson has a cannon for an arm. You will see him be able to open the field up with the deep ball that RD wasn't able to do.

I was under the impression that the qb was a big part of the running game in canales' offense. Usually his qb's are pretty quick/elusive, not a power type runner, right? I'm not sure what thompson has yet, but I know tune is neither quick or elusive.

Edited by Green Crazy

While begging for another QB, we already have a HS recruit coming in this fall and get get plenty of reps in practice, also Baine will be ready to go if needed as well.

QB should not be a worry right now.

I don't think QB depth is the question. I think QB quality is the issue, especially in Canales' offense where the QB is relied upon to run a little.

I was under the impression that the qb was a big part of the running game in canales' offense. Usually his qb's are pretty quick/elusive, not a power type runner, right? I'm not sure what thompson has yet, but I know tune is neither quick or elusive.

Matt Grothe set all kinds of records at USF and Big East records as well, and he wasn't the fleetest of foot (words straight from Canales' mouth). If Thompson can execute the Zone Read, we'll be fine. Just to keep LB's and DE's honest, all you gotta do. Texas did it with Colt who ran a 4.7 (though I don't like Greg Davis' offense)...just saying. Thompson has a sound delivery and can make all the throws which will open up the field more for #5. The problem the last few years was that the box would get crowded without the threat of a downfield passing game and that would make it tough to get the necessary yards in the running game. If you look at #5's long runs last year, several came on passing downs when teams had nickel and dime packages in the game. In turn, if this offense can spread the field vertically and horizontally, it will open up things for #5, which is who we all want to have the ball.

• Upvote 3

I think we already saw what this offense looks like without a viable running threat at QB for the 2 years prior to Riley starting. Vizza and Meager both had good enough arms to stretch the field but we couldn't run the ball to save our lives. We very much looked like Texas Tech. Heck, we even saw the same thing last year in the games that Tune started.

Yeah, Alabama and Troy are great representations of the average defense we faced last season. Tune's lack of speed isn't what killed the offense last season. Defensive coordinators knowing that we could only throw outs and 15 yard routes is what allowed defenses to "sell out" against the run...and that was regardless of QB.

I don't know why anyone is fretting. From all reports we now run an offense that utilizes TE's and throws the ball downfield. And, we will have a QB who can get the ball there. Riley will add matchup problems galore also. Do you put a LB on him? Do you put an extra CB on the field?

Everyone put your fears to bed. Running a real college offense we will be better than ok.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, Alabama and Troy are great representations of the average defense we faced last season. Tune's lack of speed isn't what killed the offense last season. Defensive coordinators knowing that we could only throw outs and 15 yard routes is what allowed defenses to "sell out" against the run...and that was regardless of QB.

I don't know why anyone is fretting. From all reports we now run an offense that utilizes TE's and throws the ball downfield. And, we will have a QB who can get the ball there. Riley will add matchup problems galore also. Do you put a LB on him? Do you put an extra CB on the field?

Everyone put your fears to bed. Running a real college offense we will be better than ok.

Agreed 90%. The only problem is that in this make or break yrear for Dodge, he either has to do it with a career back-up or a True So. with 3 minutes of experience.

Agreed 90%. The only problem is that in this make or break yrear for Dodge, he either has to do it with a career back-up or a True So. with 3 minutes of experience.

So... Three minutes well spent after all?

Yes, be prepared for a 1-3 start AT BEST. That is what happens when a young QB is your starter. The good news is that Thompson will improve as the season progresses, and I think he will be a better college quarterback than Riley 2 games into the conference schedule.

For those of you that think Tune or Baine will beat out Thompson, that is a pipe dream.

Emmitt, I want to... I just don't see how starting a carreer backup or Thompson (or Baine, etc...) will help the new offense click. I think just about everyone can agree that with Canales running the show, we stand a better chance, but the QB position is the most important on the field. I think the concerns there are valid. I really hope you're right though.

Eye uh gree.

The offense was horribly predictable over the past three seasons. Folks complained about Dickey's last two teams having predictable offenses. But, the past three seasons have taught us that you can have an overly predictable passing game as well.

That is all gone.

It's like I've awakened in some sort of strange dream land since Christmas:

-All assistant coaches are now 100% from the college ranks

-We're one year into having a full time strength and conditioning guy for the football team

-Todd Dodge has relaxed and handed the keys of the car to Chico Canales

-We're going to have tall guys with strong arms at QB

-We're going to have motion, tight ends, fullbacks, and snaps from under center

-We're going to have depth along the lines

-We're going to have Riley in a position to use his speed without getting killed

-We're going to have GREEN HELMETS again!

-And, we're going to have a new stadium in 2011.

Man, I was depressed, literally, when the season ended and Coach Dodge announced no changes. I took my little family up to my other alma mater and watched them dismantle Oklahoma State on the basketball court. The next day, I wrote them a check. I wrote a horribly depressing piece about it and posted in on my miserable little site.

Then, things began to change. Coaches began to mysteriously get jobs in other places. Other coaches were out of jobs due to their head coaches unexpectedly being fired or hired in other places. Suddenly, we had real coaches on board!

Then, we signed alot of good depth for the future. Then, we learned of the green helmets. Then, Riley and Todd decided to move him to a position that I've argued for the better part of three years that he should be playing in order to give himself a shot at real college stardom and the NFL.

The only thing I haven't seen is Riley returning punts and kickoffs. If that happens, I'll begin to wonder if Rick Villareal or the Football Fairy isn't sleeping under my bed at night and catching my dreams like so many Drew Pearson-like Hail Mary hauls.

I know this one thing. My attidue is now 164% different. And, I'm pledging now that, even in this piss poor economy which is daily being wrecked by Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Barack Obama, and Barney the Dinosaur, I will tithe the proceed of every tenth sale I make to the UNT athletic department.

I'm even going to dust off my old FTC Do Not Call number and start cold calling people to drum up new sales directly. I now seriously see this thing taking flight with a trajectory none of us could have ever imagined - least of all after Arkansas State had just pissed in our Thankgiving turkey. And, I want to be at the tippy top forefront of it, riding on a wave of perplexing Mean Green insanity!

You will rue the day, you damn RedWolves, that you permanently turned Riley from quarterback to receiver! And, the rest of the Sun Belt will rue it as well. Your Interception-Return-Stiff-Arm-of-Death will be your curse for the next three seasons as Riley weaves his way through your secondary like a new born Galloping Ghost and farts victory all over your heathen ashes on the way to the end zone! Time after time after time.

I haven't been this giddy since 1980 when I went to see Flash Gordon in the movie theater at Richardson Square Mall and my eyes beheld that Italian actress wearing her tight red thingy and straddling our hero as he tried to guide the secret escape craft to the secret moon of pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg1pfksRRF0&feature=related

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I haven't been this giddy since 1980 when I went to see Flash Gordon in the movie theater at Richardson Square Mall and my eyes beheld that Italian actress wearing her tight red thingy and straddling our hero as he tried to guide the secret escape craft to the secret moon of pleasure.

Chico - A-AH - saviour of the universe

Chico - A-AH - he'll save everyone of us

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Chico - A-AH - he's a miracle

Chico - A-AH - king of the impossible

Chico - A-AH - saviour of the universe

Chico - A-AH - he'll save everyone of us

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Chico - A-AH - he's a miracle

Chico - A-AH - king of the impossible

I liked Queen, but that song was awful. However, I will admit it sounds a little better with "Chico" in place of "Flash."

Eye uh gree.

The offense was horribly predictable over the past three seasons. Folks complained about Dickey's last two teams having predictable offenses. But, the past three seasons have taught us that you can have an overly predictable passing game as well.

That is all gone.

It's like I've awakened in some sort of strange dream land since Christmas:

-All assistant coaches are now 100% from the college ranks

-We're one year into having a full time strength and conditioning guy for the football team

-Todd Dodge has relaxed and handed the keys of the car to Chico Canales

-We're going to have tall guys with strong arms at QB

-We're going to have motion, tight ends, fullbacks, and snaps from under center

-We're going to have depth along the lines

-We're going to have Riley in a position to use his speed without getting killed

-We're going to have GREEN HELMETS again!

-And, we're going to have a new stadium in 2011.

Man, I was depressed, literally, when the season ended and Coach Dodge announced no changes. I took my little family up to my other alma mater and watched them dismantle Oklahoma State on the basketball court. The next day, I wrote them a check. I wrote a horribly depressing piece about it and posted in on my miserable little site.

Then, things began to change. Coaches began to mysteriously get jobs in other places. Other coaches were out of jobs due to their head coaches unexpectedly being fired or hired in ohter places. Suddenly, we had real coaches on board!

Then, we signed alot of good depth for the future. Then, we learned of the green helmets. Then, Riley and Todd decided to move him to a position that I've argued for the better part of three years that he should be playing in order to give himself a shot at real college stardom and the NFL.

The only thing I haven't seen is Riley returning punts and kickoffs. If that happens, I'll begin to wonder if Rick Villareal or the Football Fairy isn't sleeping under my bed at night and catching my dreams like so many Drew Pearson-like Hail Mary hauls.

I know this one thing. My attidue is now 164% different. And, I'm pledging now that, even in this piss poor economy which is daily being wrecked by Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Barack Obama, and Barney the Dinosaur, I will tithe the proceed of every tenth sale I make to the UNT athletic department.

I'm even going to dust off my old FTC Do Not Call number and start cold calling people to drum up new sales directly. I now seriously see this thing taking flight with a trajectory none of us could have ever imagined - least of all after Arkansas State has pissed in our Thankgiving turkey. And, I want to be at the tippy top forefront of it, riding on a wave of perplexing Mean Green insanity!

You will rue the day, you damn RedWolves, that you permanently turned Riley from quarterback to receiver! And, the rest of the Sun Belt will rue it as well. Your Interception-Return-Stiff-Arm-of-Death will be your curse for the next three seasons as Riley weaves his way through your secondary like a new born Galloping Ghost and farts victory all over your heathen ashes on the way to the end zone! Time after time after time.

In every generation, a citizen comes forth to pen the grand poetic epic of their times. Walt Whitman, Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, scoot over and make room for the Finch. Whether it comes to pass or not, it was a hellavuh good read.