Why Is Rv Immune From The Firing Line?

How does the man who does the hiring and firing get so immune from the consequences of his decisions?

His roaming the sidelines recently, posing in front of the cameras with his heading shaking and angry posturing, strikes me of a person who is looking for a scapegoat and will be making some moves soon.

• Upvote 4

How does the man who does the hiring and firing get so immune from the consequences of his decisions?

I don't think he is immune...

When attacking RV, most appear to want to focus on only the negative aspects of T.Dodge.

What about Johnny Jones, Joe Dykstra, Jim Pyrch, Sujay Lama, the stadium, and the positives (already gone into in other posts) that Dodge brought? Don't those count?

I like what RV has done...

I think Dodge gets his contracted 5 years. If he doesn't produce a winning season by then, I have to believe RV will make the right call whether people think he's tied at the hip to Dodge or not.

When attacking RV, most appear to want to focus on only the negative aspects of T.Dodge.

What about Johnny Jones, Joe Dykstra, Jim Pyrch, Sujay Lama, the stadium, and the positives (already gone into in other posts) that Dodge brought? Don't those count?

Definitely a valid point. But RVs reality is that football and mens bball are the two money makers. Our athletic department cannot survive without them.

I think Dodge gets his contracted 5 years. If he doesn't produce a winning season by then, I have to believe RV will make the right call whether people think he's tied at the hip to Dodge or not.

He HAS to be dumped if he doesn't produce a winning season by then. If he isn't, even the bands won't bother to show up for the games. With an empty stadium, at least we could fire the yellow shirts and save a few bucks for the next hire. :lol: OOps! I forgot that I banned myself from posting on the football board.

But RVs reality is that football and mens bball are the two money makers. Our athletic department cannot survive without them.

Good point!

Dodge brought in more season tickets and some good attendance numbers, which is in the + column in regards to money...

I'm as worried as the next that if the product does not get better, the numbers (and money) will start to dry up.

However, I don't see the the house that RV and Dodge (and Flyer) built not opening with Dodge at the helm, albeit his last season in a 5yr contract (if my math's right).

Good point!

Dodge brought in more season tickets and some good attendance numbers, which is in the + column in regards to money...

I'm as worried as the next that if the product does not get better, the numbers (and money) will start to dry up.

However, I don't see the the house that RV and Dodge (and Flyer) built not opening with Dodge at the helm, albeit his last season in a 5yr contract (if my math's right).

If so, then RV needs to realize everyone is watching when he throws his tantrums on the sidelines......home or away games.

If so, then RV needs to realize everyone is watching when he throws his tantrums on the sidelines......home or away games.

It is getting more and more like he is the clown from the Apollo.

His sweater vests are getting tighter and more colorful.

His hair is getting bigger and whiter.

The next step is to sport a broom during the Army game.

It is getting more and more like he is the clown from the Apollo.

His sweater vests are getting tighter and more colorful.

His hair is getting bigger and whiter.

The next step is to sport a broom during the Army game.

Perhaps you need prospective.....RV has brought more to this program than everyone before him....this means facilities and a new stadium.....coaches come and go...some good and some bad and the AD's prior to RV have hired some pretty bad ones....and a few good ones. RV had done a great job with what he has had....I for one have been surprised that UNt has been able to even field a football team with the crap stadium we have had for some many years, I have been around since the Fry years and I can say you should be thankful for RV....everyday.....this is why you are getting a new stadium...this is why UNT will be able to compete in a few years even if today we look like crap....this too will not last....TD will have to prove himself and I mean soon....will he be around next year?...I don't know, if it was up to me the answer would be NO....well see what RV does. But I have seen good and bad AD's and he is not in the BAD category.

I like what RV has done...

Part of the reaction on the board is just whiplash, RV has done a great job overall getting money and coaches, Todd Dodge was a gamble that at the moment is not paying off on the field, I do think it will be next year before the axe falls on Dodge and company. Saturday's game was really hard to take. I imagine Dodge will pull all the stops next year that his philosophy may have wanted but has not worked. To me its bowl eligible or gone.

But if the pressure is right that decision may get moved up on RV. I guess we will see.

also remember in RV tenure we have gone from just about the worst university in title 9 to #1 two years running. That plus the tremendous facilities he has/will build on this campus, to me signals that he has done a great job as AD. RV is not the problem.

I think the Title 9 moves are his biggest accomplishment IMHO.

An honest memory will tell you that the new AC was poorly funded from private money and was given a loan by the University to cover the shortfall. Much of that money came from Dickey's peoples and not RV's. I may be behind times, but I think the new Stadium isn't by the AD's fundraising as much it is the student body vote and the willingness of the University to shoulder a big debt to build the stadium. I haven't seen much publicly about private funds and the stadium. I think RV needs to take flyer to lunch every week for his entire remaining tenure, because this stadium wouldn't see the light day without the SG.

But still, it has *all* happened on RV's watch; the good and bad. I guess the response to why he isn't accountable is mainly two words: The New Stadium. :phear:

I, too, have questioned some of RV's personnel decisions. Overall, he has made some great contributions to the UNT athletic department and, for that, I am grateful. However, the face of most college athletic programs is football. UNT is no exception. The blame for allowing DD to run this program into the ground (as many have claimed) and hiring an entire staff of HS football coaches (save one or two) has to fall squarely on the shoulders of RV. Despite his prior success at the high school level, Dodge was about as risky a hire as we could have made. Now, I'm not willing to go as far as to say RV should be fired, but he definitely needs to be held accountable the current state of our football program. I haven't seen anything this season to make me believe this team is going to suddenly wake up and start dominating the SBC...and that's where we need to be.

One thing I did enjoy Saturday was seeing the bball team at the game on Saturday. JJ and most of the team was in the concourse talking with fans, signing autos, and joking around with the kids. My kids received signed letters for their Mean Green Bball buddies last week. The players were out and available.

One of my kids has not even met her fball buddy and the other has not had a chance to get the "Buddy Ball" signed - which has the buddies from the last 6 years on it. It has always been signed after home football games. But apparently, there is some concern by the coaching staff that the players might talk to fans so they are run off the field immediately after the band finishes playing.

It's night and day between the two programs. Which one do you think is going to get more support?

Are these minor issues? Yes. Do they make a difference in a person's perspective of the coaches and programs? Definitely.

All administrators should be held accountable, but I don't want to lay this mess at anyone's feet. RV has done a terrific job. Perfect? No way, but I wouldn't want to try his job on for size. We will never know what it has been like to walk in his shoes for the last few years...and that is as it should be. There are things that go on behind the scenes that are just plain none of our damned business IMHO. He has coached and is capable of knowing when to pull the plug, but none of us know what constraints on him might be in place, financial or otherwise.

It wasn't RV that was burned for at least three long plays last Saturday (like one player I could name but would not) and it wasn't RV that coached the kid. There was a general lack of effort last weekend, which is why everyone is pissed and looking for people to be accountable. It is not RV's place to go into the locker room and give the "win one for the Gipper" speech. It IS RV's job to keep a current short list in the event he is forced to pick up the phone...and I would bet he has one.

Problem I have with RV and staff is that the fans have no idea if he has been able to go out and fundraise sufficiently to cover the private side of the stadium cost since the students can only go in 50%. Where is the big announcement or are we waiting to turn dirt with a 25% winning coach and team? A little risky? Maybe cut RV slack for the first Athletics Fee boondoggle, but I think he gets to much credit for the new stadium. Yes he has got new facilities for most teams, but I think they were out of necessity. We have constant issues with APR standards, the first Softball coach was a boondoggle, we are not competitive in most sports outside of men's basketball and Women's Soccer within the Sun Belt, much less nationally.

RV needs to figure it out quick or fundraising $$$'s will be drying up quick with the constant beating the fans take watching the game live, listening on the radio, or following on TV.

Good post, bowler. Some of what you say fits with my "behind the scenes" / constraints thoughts. He may be forced to keep his lips zipped because (I merely speculate) some donors/sponsors are verbals and not on the dotted line, some are on the fence and still need to be petted, and some may be getting cold feet for the reasons you state.

Lets all hang tough and gut this out. Someday, we'll look back and laugh at our posts. :)

The terror alert just went from Yellow to Orange.

God help us if Mean Green Engineer chimes in.

What about El Guapo? He might start burning down villages as a show of displeasure regarding the performance of our football team.

• Upvote 1

I applaud Rick V for this hire of Dodge because it was risky as he**ll! I mean talk about thinking out of the box and getting huge pub the first 2 seasons! But I know Rick bleeds Green now and he is frustrated as heck like we are. I love the fact he feels our pain unlike Helwig did. Helwig didn't even care about UNT at the end and Rick V is determined to turn this ship around. He has not been perfect but I love a risk taker and he has taken us through the good and bad. Most importantly what we will see at 11:00am in less than 2 weeks has made me appreciate his time at UNT forever!

Thank you Rick and GMG!

based on recent results rv gets passing marks for facilities, gender equity, and hiring in men's basketball, swimming, soccer, tennis

marginal results in communication, and hiring in softball and golf

poor grades for metroplex advertising, hiring in women's basketball, track, volleyball, and football.

Grade = B-

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RV isn't going anywhere. He landed the new stadium and outside of football the state of UNT athletics is good. You wouldn't want to drop an AD in the middle of the stadium project, and it's probably a reason why Dodge will be the first coach to lead a team in it. This would be a lousy time to start over.