The "caw Caw" Scream

stebo

The whole sarcastic "Caw Caw" scream that some "fans" seem to think is funny really pisses me off. First off, we aren't crows - Eagles don't "caw" in any way. Secondly, why make fun of your own team? If you have come out to the game and you are supporting the team - why would you make fun of it? I dunno - I don't hear it as much as I used to but this dude with long (girl like long) hair sitting behind me was doing it the whole game. Every time we screwed up - he would smile and do the "CAW CAW CAWWWWWW" like it was SOOOO funny (yet nobody was laughing except him). I guess that he thought it was really funny - but it really gets on my nerves. Where did that start? Why do people do it? Can you all help me to stop it? I hate it - do you?

My breaking points were:

-People starting the wave on the student side across from me

-The world's worst heckler at the top of section I who would start a topic and full volume, then lower his voice like a woman before insulting Dodge.

EXAMPLE:

Loud: Hey, Dodge how about that new stadium?

Pause

Soft: Too bad you won't be here to see it.

Choke on a fat one, world's worst heckler.

The whole sarcastic "Caw Caw" scream that some "fans" seem to think is funny really pisses me off. First off, we aren't crows - Eagles don't "caw" in any way. Secondly, why make fun of your own team? If you have come out to the game and you are supporting the team - why would you make fun of it? I dunno - I don't hear it as much as I used to but this dude with long (girl like long) hair sitting behind me was doing it the whole game. Every time we screwed up - he would smile and do the "CAW CAW CAWWWWWW" like it was SOOOO funny (yet nobody was laughing except him). I guess that he thought it was really funny - but it really gets on my nerves. Where did that start? Why do people do it? Can you all help me to stop it? I hate it - do you?

Sounds like the guy behind you was just a little too drunk.

I dont understand how doing the "caw" is making fun of UNT? A lot of my friends and I do it all the time just as a rallying cry of sorts.

there are two versions of the "caw"...one is issued by a fan during/after an exciting play. the other is issued by someone after a bad play trying to mock THEIR OWN university. the latter is the one none of us will understand, but those who think this is funny also don't see the issue with wearing a UT shirt to the game.

Guest JohnDenver

How is "caw"ing like a crow - some sort of rallying cry?

When I was a student, I didn't see it as disrespectful. As an alum, I do. I can't rationalize it, but that is how it is for me.

As a student, I didn't really "get" the branding thing. I didn't "get" how the image of the university as a whole matters to the rest of the country. I knew UNT was the bomb dot com, so I didn't really care how it came off to the rest of the country. Once I got it, I didn't like the sarcastic CAW.

I get the feeling that the super loud cannon is really getting on people's nerves. I admit at times i thought they were making it too f'ing loud.

Second, we have 5 dudes on our all-girl flag squad color guard thing.

Third, I now have the runs because of something I ate yesterday.

I never marched in a band that did not have some guys lined up in the color guard. It is nothing unusual.

My girlfriend dragged me to a wedding this weekend so i had to miss the game. ( i gave her hell the ENTIRE TIME) but the point is I had my friend text me updates and everytime the mean green scored i raised my eagle claw and yelled CAWWWWWWWWW. everyone at the reception looked at me like i was an idiot. Out of the 100's that looked, about 30 asked me what the hell I was doing. I gladly explained, and thanks to that scream 30 more people know who the UNT mean green are. So if anything, the scream has added fans and will be what turns this program around! okay maybe not, but at least a few more people in western kansas know who we are when they see us on the K State schedule next year.

As for the people who use the "caw" to mock the team, next time just point them in the direction of the nearest coffee shop where they can listen to their crappy indie music and talk about how cool they are for not liking their schools football team.

They teach it to every student during orientation so obviously the school supports it. I'm sorry I just dont see why it bothers some people so much. Yeah, I understand if some idiot is doing it when something bad happens, but besides that I'm all for it.

The university doesn't even know the difference between an Eagle and a Crow?

Rick