As Of This Moment, One Week Away From Game Day...

eulessismore

I'm a little bit apprehensive, anxious and excited. My nuts are on the line as I am hosting a game-watching party including some Longwhorn sympathizers for whom I have also bought tickets to the Army game. This is my attempt at converting souls! If we stink it up, I will never hear the end of it.

Caution!!!!! I did that with some Texas X's for the UNT Tulsa game at Fouts....very embarrased...last time I have gone to Fouts...not likely to return to the dump...will wait for the new stadium to be built....I don't know....maybe Army game this year, but i will not be bringing anyone to fouts ever again.

these buyouts are so much BS....I say if you are a failure....fire you and make you take it to court....you failed to perform your job. Anyway, you can't afford to keep a failure around another year or two...just can't.

Nope, just re-assign to a small office in the back corner of the Athletic Department, and then the reassigned coach would quite due to pride.

Nope, just re-assign to a small office in the back corner of the Athletic Department, and then the reassigned coach would quite due to pride.

I promise you that the "reassigned coach" wouldn't quit unless they have the financial sense of a doormat--especially during these fun economic times. Hell, Franchione won't even look at taking another job for years because A&M is stuck paying him for something like the next four years--unless he gets another job. And that doesn't even cover the minor little tidbit of paying a new coach. This is why I feel like Dodge keeps his job for next year unless he wins 2 or less. The university will get one more cheap year of coaching, and as we enter into a new facility, will be able to use that as bait for a new coach, while only buying out one year of a remaining contract, if needed.

Hell, Franchione won't even look at taking another job for years because A&M is stuck paying him for something like the next four years--unless he gets another job.

Actually, Fran has been angling for a new job since shortly after his separation from A&M. He was a finalist for the San Diego State job that wound up going to Brady Hoke. So, y'know... Money isn't his main concern and he's willing to take a job at a non-BCS school. Also, his buyout runs out next year, so he's probably extra motivated to find a new job and start rebuilding his image.

Y'know... Just saying. In case any of that winds up being relevant someday.

I am still scared to death of our special teams. They KILLED us in almost every game last year by giving up the big momentum shifting play. I hope the new approach of putting regular starters on that unit and the new coach will turn that unit around. It cannot continue to be an afterthought.

I am scared of the fumble....we do it far too often....both on special teams returns and by the runningbacks. Seeing Cam fumble again in the scrimmage scares me. As good as he is, continuing to put the ball on the ground in the redzone has got to open a door for someone else to start.

All that said, I don't know....we played a decent game to finish last season. Thought our defense played hard and actually made a few stops. Hopefully with another offseason under their belts and more depth on the dline, we'll just pick up right where we left off and continue to get better from there----which really wasn't all that bad considering how the rest of the '08 season went.

Actually, Fran has been angling for a new job since shortly after his separation from A&M. He was a finalist for the San Diego State job that wound up going to Brady Hoke. So, y'know... Money isn't his main concern and he's willing to take a job at a non-BCS school. Also, his buyout runs out next year, so he's probably extra motivated to find a new job and start rebuilding his image.

Y'know... Just saying. In case any of that winds up being relevant someday.

VERY interesting--I forgot about his buyout ending next year.

Don't be so sure about that--two years of buyout isn't cheap, especially when you have to hire someone else, too. Remember that having to pay off Dickey made us have to find a low-cost alternative. I think the same scenario would be at play if Dodge was to be fired after only his third season.

I don't think cost had much to do with hiring Dodge. NT could have easily hire the usual assistant coach looking to move up a la Nelson, Dickey, and Simon. Remember Dodge came in about the top of the Belt in salary. NT would not and probably couldn't have hired a $500k plus coach no matter who they were paying off.

If Dodge does well so does UNT. I am rooting for the guy. He seems like a class act.

GMG

Dodge is a class coach and I hope he does well this year. Likewise Trilli was a fine person but just never got results. As RV recently said, we need to start seeing results.

Dodge is a class coach and I hope he does well this year. Likewise Trilli was a fine person but just never got results. As RV even said, we need to start seeing results.

I would love to see Dodge conquer his learning curve this year and see some great results.

I would love to see Dodge conquer his learning curve this year and see some great results.

I saw the Euless Trinity head coach, Steve Lineweaver, over at the local Home Depot this morning, and stopped to talk football for a few minutes. He said he expects Trinity to do alright after the first 3 or 4 games, "which are water moccasins". I then told him I'm always hopeful at this time of year, even for my college, North Texas, which I have hopes will do better. He said yes, they NEED to do better this year, and I do agree...with him, and the others here hoping for the success we ALL need!

And, I'm sure you all know that as far as Lineweaver, I'm like so many here in Euless, in loving the man. He's so humble; as I was walking away, he said, "thanks for stopping to talk".