Unt Stadium Update

Brett Vito

stadium news from mg blog on recruiting day

12:40 p.m. - We promised an update on the new football stadium progress and here it is. Athletic department and North Texas System officials interviewed last week, five firms that submitted bid proposals for the job of construction manager at risk. The five companies that were interviewed were Austin Commercial, Beck, Hunt, Manhattan and Turner. Athletic department and North Texas system officials have discussed the applicants and will make a recommendation to the Board of Regents at an upcoming meeting. From a funding perspective, we don‘t need to tell anyone here that today’s economy is taking a toll on all of us. The athletics development staff has been diligent in its fundraising effort and is making calls and setting up personal visits with potential donors every day.

it is my understanding that in order to get the green light from the state that we must have $5+ million cash in hand by may to gain approval, and that we are a few $million short. this is as per ann clinkscales, senior director development, intercollegiate athletics. i would encourage all of us who plan to pledge and are finanically able to make your contribution now. as a retiree on a fixed income i realize that our timing could not have been worse due to the economy, but if we don't get this stadium done i fear it is the end of football at unt. i for one don't want to go back to 1aa. if you would like to discuss personally with me , call 214/417/9735 or e/mail wardly@tx.rr.com. every $ counts. thanks, ward white

it is my understanding that in order to get the green light from the state that we must have $5+ million cash in hand by may to gain approval . . .

That's the first I've heard of that. Why would they not do all they could to make alumni aware of that? It wouldn't have been very hard to raise 2-3 million from the time the students approved the stadium vote, but between now and May?

That's the first I've heard of that. Why would they not do all they could to make alumni aware of that? It wouldn't have been very hard to raise 2-3 million from the time the students approved the stadium vote, but between now and May?

My sentiments exactly. Are they waiting for all UNT Alumni to simply visit the development page of MeanGreenSports.com and make dollar committments with the click of a mouse? Gosh, the university spends lord knows how much in printing and postage for the "Emerald Ball Goes Wild" event, or whatever it's called. Can't they spend some money and send out an official request for donations to build this beautiful, much needed stadium at UNT? How freakin' hard can that be? UNt has been talking about this stadium funding for how long now? Please, some of you younger Alums, correct me here if I'm missing something.

Well, we are going for a 'green' stadium and their experience with that may have also contributed:

http://www.manhattanconstructiongroup.com/...2/11/news-1-mcc

I truly wished we would drop the LEED certified mess. It's an added expense that isn't worth paying for. One current local "LEED" certified stadium is proving that already. No sense in making the same mistake with our stadium. Does anyone know who is serving on the "Stadium Committee"?

Rick

it is my understanding that in order to get the green light from the state that we must have $5+ million cash in hand by may to gain approval, and that we are a few $million short. this is as per ann clinkscales, senior director development, intercollegiate athletics.

so why doesn't ann send an email to mgc members or post on this board or announce on the official site that they need such money by such date? are we supposed to be mind readers? there has been no direct communication to the fans about the stadium funding needs since the fee passed, none. typical unt way of doing things.

Edited by LoveMG

If you build it, they will name it! I hope that some big $$$$ donor comes forward soon and UNT can "break ground". Man, that will be a great day in the life of the Mean Green Nation. Let's call it "The People's Stadium" in honor of the new administration in Washington. JUST KIDDING! :huh:

Seems fitting that we chose the firm designing our stadium that we choose the firm that is building the Cowboys new stadium.

This is an impressive group. Not only are the constructing Jerry's World, they have done Reliant Stadium in Houston, the expansion at Oklahoma State, Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, the New Orleans Sports Arena, and others. It looks like many of the HKS designed ideas get completed by Manhattan.

Would everyone have to wear white shoes?

Okay, now I have to google him and see if he is still alive.

Are you kidding? Of course he is, or was as of September 3, 2008:

Pat Boone Interview

By the way, there's a guy in our church choir who was in publicity for Columbia Records; he's old enough to remember going to Pat Boone's club in Denton.

Are you kidding? Of course he is, or was as of September 3, 2008:

Pat Boone Interview

By the way, there's a guy in our church choir who was in publicity for Columbia Records; he's old enough to remember going to Pat Boone's club in Denton.

Hell, I never went there, but I remember when it opened. It's now a Bank.

Speaking of construction....

http://www.star-telegram.com/arlington_new...ry/1202472.html

Some of the details.

Special-events center Cost: $73 million, with the money coming from $35 million in university funds; $28 million in revenue bonds; and $10 million in private money the university plans to raise

Hell, I never went there, but I remember when it opened. It's now a Bank.

Speaking of construction....

http://www.star-telegram.com/arlington_new...ry/1202472.html

Some of the details.

Special-events center Cost: $73 million, with the money coming from $35 million in university funds; $28 million in revenue bonds; and $10 million in private money the university plans to raise

They need a special events center in a huge way. As I understand it, Texas Hall is an unsafe place to play college basketball. Compare Fouts withTexas Hall and I'll take Fouts any day.

BTW...my Dad is the guy who turned Pat Boone's restaurant into a bank...the design and construction work that is. I recall eating at Pat Boone's more than once before it closed and was turnede into the bank. I do not recall it being a "club", but i was a bit young to worry about which beer was served at that time. Too bad...I like beer.

I wonder if Pat Boone is a member of the Mean Green Club???