Dodge Prepares For Life After Vizza

Keith7

He loved UNT enough to pass on a chance to win a national championship at Texas to come here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, now that I'm done peeing myself from laughter. Riley is at NT for one reason and one reason only, he wants to play QB. He would have never, ever, ever done that at UT. Hell, he might not have played anything but slot receiver there...he certainly wasn't as good as the DB's they have/are bringing in.

He may well rewrite the record books at NT as far as passing. Or, he may spend this next year running for his life as his daddy's tenure draws to a close. Either way, to imply that Vizza left because he was afraid of competition is ludicrous. Kinda hard to fear competition on a team that hasn't known the meaning of the word "competitive" in two years.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I thought I had tired head about all the man love/hate of past, current, and switching (from other positions) UNT quarterbacks. Just a thought; is it possible maybe Riley likes it at UNT because he has a girlfriend here? I know it's kind of lame, but hey, just a thought.

I'd be happy if I had a girlfriend that was currently attending UNT

Edited by UNT90

Ok, now that I'm done peeing myself from laughter. Riley is at NT for one reason and one reason only, he wants to play QB. He would have never, ever, ever done that at UT. Hell, he might not have played anything but slot receiver there...he certainly wasn't as good as the DB's they have/are bringing in.

He may well rewrite the record books at NT as far as passing. Or, he may spend this next year running for his life as his daddy's tenure draws to a close. Either way, to imply that Vizza left because he was afraid of competition is ludicrous. Kinda hard to fear competition on a team that hasn't known the meaning of the word "competitive" in two years.

If you only knew the real story, then you would understand why people are saying that. The Vizza's wanted certain things promised that were unable to be by the coaching staff.

Edited by UNT Mean Green

If you only knew the real story, then you would understand why people are saying that. The Vizza's wanted certain things promised that were unable to be by the coaching staff.

Oh noes! References to something with no sourcing - someone attack him and make him identify his name and social security number! Show yourself, demon!

Did Riley have a scholly to Texas? Is Texas in the running for the national title every year? You are disillusioned if you think UNT was the only D1 school to offer Riley a scholly as a QB. There were Big 12 schools offering Riley as a QB. But Riley loved the opportunity at UNT enough to bypass all those other options and come here.

Did Riley have a scholly to Texas? Is Texas in the running for the national title every year? You are disillusioned if you think UNT was the only D1 school to offer Riley a scholly as a QB. There were Big 12 schools offering Riley as a QB. But Riley loved the opportunity at UNT enough to bypass all those other options and come here.

According to Rivals, he loved us more than Mizzou, Tulsa, Rice and SMU!

FROM VITO

January 28, 2009

UNT mailbag

12:35 AM Wed, Jan 28, 2009 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

There was a good question posted on the blog today concerning Chase Baine, a former Lake Dallas quarterback.

With the departure of Giovanni Vizza and the graduation of Daniel Meager and Matt Phillips, it looks like the door is going to be open for Baine to jump into the race for the starting quarterback job.

Baine turned down a couple of scholarship offers to walk on at UNT. He is a good athlete who showed some signs of promise as a slot receiver. I can see him contributing at wide receiver and on special teams, but to be honest I just don't see much of a future for Baine at quarterback at UNT.

Baine is listed at 5-11 and he hasn't played quarterback since high school.

I think we all know who is going to start at quarterback next season. Riley Dodge didn't come to UNT to play wide receiver. He said so when he backed out of his commitment to Texas. If anyone needed any additional clues as to where this is headed, the highlight video at the UNT football banquet ended with Riley Dodge clips and some encouraging words about the promise the future holds with a quarterback who is intimately familiar with Todd Dodge's system running the show.

I wonder who they were talking about. ... Ok, no I don't.

Baine could be in play for the backup job, but my guess is that gig goes to the official player of the Mean Green Blog -- Nathan Tune. The former Celina standout has the size to play the position at 6-4 and is familiar with the system.

UNT could also bring in a JC player, if it can find one to take the bait with the head coach's son coming into his redshirt freshman year with the savior tag already written on white tape across the front of his helmet like in junior high when the coaches don't know everyone's name.

"Hey, Savior, over here. Let's see if you can throw the ball in the big net basket."

It's not that Baine isn't a good player and won't contribute. I think he will. But it might take two or three injuries for Baine to find his way under center next year.

Come to think of it, with Alabama looming on the schedule, Baine playing quarterback isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Comments (0) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | E-mail entry

The entry "UNT mailbag" has no entry tags

The UNT football program would trade places with any of those schools right now.

Whoa...slow down, big fella. That's an extreme idea you've just presented right there. Identify yourself and prove why.

Stop jumping on Riley for goodness sake. What has he done to cause so much "negativity" with some folks on this board? Oh, I see, he turned down an offer from Texas to play for his Dad at UNT. Yep, that's a great reason to spew so much negativity on the kid. If I were the coach father of a D1 athlete I would love for him to play for me. I think it does say something about the type of father T Dodge is and the type of son Riley is that he would play here and not Texas to play for his Dad and to help build this program. Someday, some of the folks on this board might just know from first-hand experience what that kind of relationship is like...I truly hope they do.

Whty be negative...Gio left for whatever reason he and his Dad have, so be it and don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out. No hard feelings, and I wish you both well, but you do not want to be part of this program, so adios, see ya! Now, let's get behind the kids left.

Riley is doing what he can to help. If he wins the QB battle outright he will start, if not, he will back-up and perhaps continue to play a little receiver. I look forward to hearing the comments when the next UNT QB leads this team to its first win in 2009. I am sure there will a lot of "jumping on the bandwagon". Come on...enough alreday with the anti-Riley garbage just because you might be a bit "unhappy" with the last two season's w/l record. As I recall, Riley had very liitle/nothing to do with either.

As for UNT2012, and his closeness to the program...stop posting. It is a "mistake" of the higest proportions if you want to keep the job you described as a great one on "Bonnie Brae". Not a good decision at all if you are, in fact, "real". Good luck to you. Now shut up on the board and do your job and maybe, just maybe you will keep it.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Stop jumping on Riley for goodness sake. What has he done to cause so much "negativity" with some folks on this board? Oh, I see, he turned down an offer from Texas to play for his Dad at UNT. Yep, that's a great reason to spew so much negativity on the kid. If I were the coach father of a D1 athlete I would love for him to play for me. I think it does say something about the type of father T Dodge is and the type of son Riley is that he would play here and not Texas to play for his Dad and to help build this program. Someday, some of the folks on this board might just know from first-hand experience what that kind of relationship is like...I truly hope they do.

Whty be negative...Gio left for whatever reason he and his Dad have, so be it and don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out. No hard feelings, and I wish you both well, but you do not want to be part of this program, so adios, see ya! Now, let's get behind the kids left.

Riley is doing what he can to help. If he wins the QB battle outright he will start, if not, he will back-up and perhaps continue to play a little receiver. I look forward to hearing the comments when the next UNT QB leads this team to its first win in 2009. I am sure there will a lot of "jumping on the bandwagon". Come on...enough alreday with the anti-Riley garbage just because you might be a bit "unhappy" with the last two season's w/l record. As I recall, Riley had very liitle/nothing to do with either.

As for UNT2012, and his closeness to the program...stop posting. It is a "mistake" of the higest proportions if you want to keep the job you described as a great one on "Bonnie Brae". Not a good decision at all if you are, in fact, "real". Good luck to you. Now shut up on the board and do your job and maybe, just maybe you will keep it.

GO MEAN GREEN!

GOOD THINGS ARE NOT HAPPENING FOR UNT2012's FUTURE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Let me be clear about how I stand on this situation. Please read my whole presentation, and please do not cherry pick words that you think prove your contention that I/we are all being negative and "picking on Riley".

In this situation, I do not blame Riley, I blame his dad Coach Dodge. Riley is going to try as hard as he can to do the best job of competing for the starting QB position. It is my feeling/belief that Coach Dodge will not judge the competition fairly. It is my feeling/belief that Coach Dodge always intended for his son to be the starter at the QB position, regardless of what anyone did. And I have no quotes from him, nor have I talked to him, but I also feel/believe that this is one of the main reasons that GV left the program.

I believe that GV saw himself eventually suffering the same fate as Daniel Meager. And so he decided to take matters into his own hands and leave the program rather than be sent to the bench.....and given the silent treatment like Daniel got.