Whoa!....tcu's Patterson Get's $1.7 Million Base Sala

FirefightnRick

Tiny or big fanbase or not...TCU has commitment and is a CAN DO university. UNT on the other hand......

TCU, surprisingly, is only a Tier 2 Can Do School according to U.S. New and World Reports...though one could argue there is a bit of an East Coast bias

http://www.star-telegram.com/856/story/1130015.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/856/story/1127450.html

What an amazing amount of money such a tiny fanbase has been able to produce just for football.

Rick

Actually they have a very substantial fan base.

Remember their committee of 100? Shocked at being left out of the BigXII, 100 businessmen in the city of Ft Worth united, raised money, promoted the program, sold tickets, etc. Not just a one time effort, a continuing effort. As a result they are in the MWC, average over 30,000 per football game and have the money from the public to enable them to pay big time salaries.

Their story, like Boise's, is an example of what can happen with community support. If TCU is "Can-do" and UNT is not, the difference results from community and alumni support. Not from the Universities themselves.

I've been to two games at Amon Carter in my lifetime and I'll be darned if the sum attendance was 30K.

Maybe things have changed.

Percepion is reality. TCU has done a great job of smoke and mirrors. I went to a game last year where there couldn't have been more than 15K in the stadium (scattered lower bowl)... but the reported attendance was almost 40K. The Ft Worth Bowl had smoke and mirrors, too... but that goes with the amount of tickets that the teams must guarantee. Tickets sold count as "attendance" and when you make the teams particpating buy 12K tix each - that is 24K right there... then you sell ads for "x" amount and throw in 2K tix... than you make all TCU season ticket holders a game ticket holder because it is included... and than you give tix to all radio sponsors.. before even one person actually buy a ticket for the game you have 30K tix sold. I think there was a good showing, and this is not limited to the Ft Worth Bowl, it s ALL bowls... but the attendance is a sham. I watched the sold out Boise Bowl - there seriously could not have been more than 3000 people there, TOPS... realistically, about 1500.

Percepion is reality. TCU has done a great job of smoke and mirrors. I went to a game last year where there couldn't have been more than 15K in the stadium (scattered lower bowl)... but the reported attendance was almost 40K. The Ft Worth Bowl had smoke and mirrors, too... but that goes with the amount of tickets that the teams must guarantee. Tickets sold count as "attendance" and when you make the teams particpating buy 12K tix each - that is 24K right there... then you sell ads for "x" amount and throw in 2K tix... than you make all TCU season ticket holders a game ticket holder because it is included... and than you give tix to all radio sponsors.. before even one person actually buy a ticket for the game you have 30K tix sold. I think there was a good showing, and this is not limited to the Ft Worth Bowl, it s ALL bowls... but the attendance is a sham. I watched the sold out Boise Bowl - there seriously could not have been more than 3000 people there, TOPS... realistically, about 1500.

Yeah very good insight....

I would love to host one bowl game at our new football stadium... It would be great and I think UNT would do a great job overseeing it.

The Golden Triangle Bowl or the Cattle Bowl, I dont know or the GoGreen Bowl....

Yeah very good insight....

I would love to host one bowl game at our new football stadium... It would be great and I think UNT would do a great job overseeing it.

The Golden Triangle Bowl or the Cattle Bowl, I dont know or the GoGreen Bowl....

Playmaker you usually have good posts on this board, but this was not one of them!

:rolleyes:

Percepion is reality. TCU has done a great job of smoke and mirrors. I went to a game last year where there couldn't have been more than 15K in the stadium (scattered lower bowl)... but the reported attendance was almost 40K.

Under the rules, a school reports tickets sold as attendance. Not butts in seats. You know that.

Selling tickets and getting money in return is not smoke and mirrors, it is substantial support. TCU gets substantial support, as evidenced in part by money in the bank from tickets sold. Money in the bank is how TCU, small as its enrollment is, can pay Patterson what they will pay Patterson.

The TCU supporters including the community itself has done a great job of making TCUs program what it is.

False. TCU reports actual attendance figures. What you read as the attendance is the attendance.

The game that I went to was last year (2007-2008) season and there were scattered people in the lower part. That really wasn't the point though - I was talking about bowl games... in which TCU does not run that bowl game. The attendance figures are a sham... The Bouse Bowl had MAYBE 1500-3000 people there, tops. The Ft Worth Bowl, I mean - did you watch it?

What does the far upper deck hold in comparison to the entire lower bowl?

maybe 7,500

lower bowl is approx 36,000

Been going to games for 25 years and I can tell you that the attendance number are correct. Next time you are there you will notice the ticket takers have counters in their hand. Also, the students get in free and are not counted in the attendance #'s.

The bowl game uses tickets sold (corporate sponsors etc.), but TCU does not run that. From watching on TV, almost the enitre East side and endzones wer full (18,000). and let's say the lower west side was half full (9,000) that puts you at 27,000.

TCU has come such a long way from the days of the 1-9, 2-9 seasons. I guess it was Franchionne that righted the ship and the Frogs have never looked back. Give them credit for what they are accomplishing. And yes, I believe those attendance numbers are accurate.

Look for TCU to be the next BCS Buster.

BTW, my daughter graduated from TCU. Go FROGS!

TCU probably recieves the least amount of well deserved and earned respect in the nation than any other program I can think of and Gary Patterson is a direct result of that. But the "Community" that supports TCU is a tiny, tiny group of people compared to the overall City of Fort Worth. The 100 Businessmen who pooled their money together were a small number of businessmen with BIG bucks(Lucky them), compared to the rest of the City of Fort Worth. The only people that can relate to TCU are the wealthy 1% who have the money to spend sending their kids to the three expensive private schools in town or who may can afford to live near what is left of the more affluent parts around Paschal or Arlington Heights HS. And both of those areas have dwindled considerably the past 20 years. I do give TCU credit for being able to draw support from such a small, deep-pocketed portion of the city's population and their marketing people have done a wonderful job over the past 10 to 15 years. But I get a chuckle when I hear and see them referenced as THE HOME TEAM because that is just not true at all.

Rick