What Changes Would You Make?

mean green d

I don't know why Dodge needs assistants.

touche.

funny-monkey.jpg

Christmas Monkey Czar doesn't need assistants. He rules with an iron fist and a shiny Commie bell.

As to the actual topic at hand, you gotta bring in someone that can coach special teams. But we also need one of those game-breaker return men. An Evyn Roman type.

I might also spend some time in the offseason thinking up a few more formations. Funny we're saying that after Dickey...

Edited by Eagle1855

Preface: I have no idea which coaches are doing a good job and which are not. I am not inside that lockerroom or practices. But, to address the questions that have been raised here this season, that for the second year in a row changes in staff are needed and that Dodge may be a micromanager:

IF a supervisor hires mulitple employees who cannot do the job, does it say more about the employees or about the supervisor?

AND IF that supervisor is micromanaging the employees to the point that it inhibits their work, then what difference will changing employees make?

Preface: I have no idea which coaches are doing a good job and which are not. I am not inside that lockerroom or practices. But, to address the questions that have been raised here this season, that for the second year in a row changes in staff are needed and that Dodge may be a micromanager:

IF a supervisor hires mulitple employees who cannot do the job, does it say more about the employees or about the supervisor?

AND IF that supervisor is micromanaging the employees to the point that it inhibits their work, then what difference will changing employees make?

So true. AND, I have to wonder how many of the aforementioned micromanaged employees will continue to tolerate the situation. <_<

This one is a tough call? We dont know enough about what goes on behind those locker-room doors to know where and why we are failing? TD is here as we all wanted... and we trust him to adjust our play calling to become competitive? Let's ride that one out for year three and see how much improvement we get. No noose yet from me fella's...

1. Assistant coaches: I would add Former NT Asst. Coach Chris Hurd to this defensive coaching staff. I think two brimstone and fire guys (DeLoach and Hurd) could turn this defense around relatively quickly. There would be a "responsibility and accountability" theme with this defense that they havent had in the last few years. I dont know how that would affect recruiting, but the players we have would show immediate improvement. Many of us remember what Chris Hurd was like as an assistant when DD was here. I hve never seen one guy so fired up in practices... and that does translate to the players. They respect it and respond to it. Let a proven winner get out there and make winners out of his players.

2. Defensive schemes: The "Bend - dont BREAK" defense is broke! Coach DeLoach needs more time to get his guys in, but we really need to adjust some things now. NO MORE ten yard cushions and back-peddle away from the WR's.... Corners play up on your man and make him beat you. Sure, you give up a big play from time to time, but we are getting beat badly now. I realize part of that equation is pass rush. Give DeLoach another year to find our next Adrian Awasome or Darrell Daniels. No, those guys dont grow on trees but we have done it before with a far less known head coach than Todd Dodge?

3. Take your shots!!!: I know this is easy for a fan or Alum to say. WE are not coaches, but whether you are leading by ten or trailing by ten at one minute before halftime....TAKE YOUR SHOT. dont give these kids the idea that your comfortable enough with the way things are to not try for more? Good or bad, be aggressive and send our guys into the locker room with a "fight until the last second" mentality. If we are behind (as we have been in just about every game this year) we have nothing to lose?...TAKE YOUR SHOT!

Again, I realize hind-sight is 20-20. I am as frustrated by this year as the rest of you, and we will all have suggestions on how to fix this mess. Chances are that none of us will be right, and Coach Dodge will eventually try to get the ship righted by doing what he has always done. I truly hope he can make some progress next season. I have a sick feeling in my gut from rememberring Coach Dickey pointing to our score-board (where we ran the points up on an opponent) and knowing our opponents are now pointing their fingers at our scoreboard?

Guess we all take our medicine when our time comes... and it tastes terrible!

GMG!!!

You would also have to know the BUDGET that the manager was given to hire mid level management/coaches. MAYBE... JUST MAYBE... after buying out DD's half million dollar contract, the budget was very low for replacing the staff thus the choice was unproven college assistants or very proven high school coaches. In retrospect, maybe you micro-manage high school coaches more than you would qualified candidates. There are way too many variables to make this decision on a fan message board. Obviously we are able to pay for someone like DeLoach now, and that is good... maybe this off-season we will be able to bring in some more qualified coaches so that we can have a more complete staff... and then the head coach will not need to micro-manage (if indeed that is what he really does and not just internet fodder)...