On The Ticket Yesterday Afternoon!

Charlie NT 73

I was listening to the Ticket yestrday afternnon, around 520pm.

George went into a discussion about North Texas football, Coach

Todd Dodge, and the NT players. About 5 minutes worth of his

views on the whole program. Here are a few of points of George's

first hand information. These are not exact quotes but you will understand

what Geroge is saying.

#1: George stated if his son can play college ball, he would want his son

to play for Coach Dodge because of the way Coach Dodge takes care of

the players, and wants the players to be successful, both with earning their

degree and with college football.

#2: Coach Dodge has assembled more high quality D1 talent than ever before.

There are true freshmen, redshirts and sophmores gaining the experience they

need now that will pay off down the road. The new stadium will help the recruiting

efforts tremediously.

#3: George stated he wished many of the NT fans to realize the rebuilding of

North Texas football is going to take time, and that Coach Dodge is the man

for this job. Coach Dodge has a excellent and inovative offensive system, that

is developing the team. Sure we are disappointed not having a win yet, and so

is Coach Dodge. The team has been closer to winning than what we know.

#4: In his first year back, Gary DeLoach is teaching his defense to the young

players. These players are getting better each week, gaining confidence, and

learning the game. DeLoach will get the job done. DeLoach had the NT defense

ranked at #4 in the country, but it took 2 years to do it.

#5: I found this very interesting coming from George. "The cupboard was pretty

bear." Dodge and Deloach are putting the young players on the field because

they are the best they have.

I trust Geroge Dunham and his views. George has seen more NT football than

all of us put together. And I approve of this message.

I have been super critical of the whole football program this season but for some reason after listen to George yesterday, I have somewhat cooled my stance a little and willing to give it a little more time after listening to what he said. Now lets not forget that Jub Jub is the biggest NT homer so maybe all of that was all kool aid and homer talk. I still say this team SHOULD be a lot lot more competitive than what it has shown this season. Just one more season after this and if it is still similar then TD needs to go.

Jub also spent my drive into work explaining why the Cowboys can steal the next two games and be right back in the division when Romo gets back because he has a feeling they'll circle the wagons after the Rams game, so that's nice.

I would say the only problem I have with these comments would be "The team has been closer to winning than what we know." What exactly does that mean? Are they almost scoring touchdowns that we don't see? Or, are players almost getting open for big gains?

All that to say I again feel we're in the right direction and we can't go anywhere but up, right?

All this goes back to us giving the new Regime the time it takes to put things together. Patience and support. That should remain our motto through the construction of the new stadium... I can't tell you how much better things are going to be if we can just realize how things will improve if we just stick to this. Sometimes you just have to ride out the bad times and just try to find something to appreciate out of it.

I think Georgy has done an excellent job highlighting some logical points. UNT was not in a position to overcome even a small downturn in the reloading process...

The future is bright as long as we all contribute and stay patient...consistently each year. Consistent support and interest will correct our football program recession and take us back to where we know we can go. The more we care as a fanbase, the more attractive our program looks to young men coming out of High School.

We can all do our jobs by recruiting back our alumns friends that have lost/never had faith in it. I know I'll be bugging the holy crap out of my friends I will see at Homecoming this weekend. Can't wait!

Glad to see a few folks coming around....as I have said many times...DODGE will get the job done. It's time for the MEAN GREEN FAITHFUL to rally around this coach and this team! STARTING SATURDAY AT FOUTS!!!!

Let's all turn out and have a great time in support of the MEAN GREEN. My wife is out of town (so, I'll really have a great time and she won't be embarrassed or really know what I did!!!) but her ticket WILL be used. If you can't make it ior can't use all your tickets PLEASE PLEASE get them in someone's hands who will/can use them. PLEASE...PRETTY PLEASE...and THANK YOU (my Mom always told me to say that).

GO MEAN GREEN! See you at Fouts Saturday!!!!

Quick!!!!!! Someone refute Jub's assertion that the cupboard was bare! He also stated that when NT should have been in it's recruiting heyday, following all the Conference Championships, Dickey completely dropped the ball.

:bangin:

Edited by Green P1

Yes, way to go Georgie ! That was a great rant yesterday. I was lucky to catch it, because I don't listen to the ticket anymore much these days (due to the lack of actual sports talk).

I think we all expected the team to be further along at this point. But, it is way too early to blow things up. In addition to make some rookie mistakes, the coaching staff has had to deal with an unfair amount of injuries and loss of players. This team will have a lot of young and talented players that will grow together in the next few years (remember early in the DD tenure when he redshirted all those players to make that multi-year run ?) I strongly believe that TD is the right character guy to build this team the right way fron scratch.

We hired a young coach with a lot of potential. It was a risky move. But, IMO hiring TD has a potentially higher ceiling than some other options (yes, I like Carthel too).

Two years down the road, I have a feeling that the few people asking for a change now will be glad that RV held firm in his support for Dodge.

I agree 100% with the comment regarding the Ticket. At one time is was great sports talk...now, too much "other stuff" and way to much talk between the TICKET folks themselves...it really is not much of a sports station any longer...thus I listen very little...once in awhile in drive time after work, but not much else. Every time I tune in they are talking about some re-tread Rock and Roll group or some personal experience or something...where did the sports talk go????

I agree 100% with the comment regarding the Ticket. At one time is was great sports talk...now, too much "other stuff" and way to much talk between the TICKET folks themselves...it really is not much of a sports station any longer...thus I listen very little...once in awhile in drive time after work, but not much else. Every time I tune in they are talking about some re-tread Rock and Roll group or some personal experience or something...where did the sports talk go????

I defy you to find this kind of hard-hitting, all encompassing, football coverage anywhere else on the radio dial.

Cowboys Round Table

Thats one star studded Cowboys discussion.

Edited by Green P1

I have switched to Mike And Mike in the morning (ESPN). I do thank George for everything he has done for NT football. But, The Ticket no longer does it for me outside of Norm's show, which is still sports related.

My #1 beatdown is the "emergency break of the week". This was funny for a while. But, it has gone on for several years now.

I love The Ticket. It is the best radio station in America. I hate Mike and Mike and just about everything about ESPN.

The Ticket could be a bit more sportsy...BUT atleast they talk about stuff relevant to this area instead of everything that appeals to the biggest markets accross the country... Mike and Mike are ok, but they are going to appeal to those markets. It is just basic strategy to achieve national ratings... Therefore, I'm a P1 by default... The goofiness is fun sometimes, but it can get old. The stuff that really bugs me is when they talk about american idol(aka american anthrax) or dancing with the stars(aka dancing with sars). that is when I truley turn them off and spin some tune-age

I have switched to Mike And Mike in the morning (ESPN). I do thank George for everything he has done for NT football. But, The Ticket no longer does it for me outside of Norm's show, which is still sports related.

My #1 beatdown is the "emergency break of the week". This was funny for a while. But, it has gone on for several years now.

Bob and Dan are my favorite show because they are the only ones that still balance sports and comedy the way all of the shows used to. Plus, they are the only ones who understand hockey, which is a second plus.

The ESPN shows just kill me...Cowherd, the Mikes and all the others can eat a plate of fluffy kittens.

I understand people's gripe about the lack of pure sports only sports talk, but I don't understand how anyone can stand ESPN radio. Every single show on that station sticks to the formula of forced arguments and loud talking. It never fails that one person or the other will take a ridiculous stance only for the means of arguing with their co-host. If its a one man show then the host takes a ridiculous stance in order to argue with the callers/listeners. It drives me freaking nuts. All the loud talking arguments and forced emotion are just too much for me to take.

The only show I've ever enjoyed on ESPN radio was the Big Show with Coop and Newey. Didn't really care for Newey, but Coop is greatness.

Edited by Green P1

I understand people's gripe about the lack of pure sports only sports talk, but I don't understand how anyone can stand ESPN radio. Every single show on that station sticks to the formula of forced arguments and loud talking. It never fails that one person or the other will take a ridiculous stance only for the means of arguing with their co-host. If its a one man show then the host takes a ridiculous stance in order to argue with the callers/listeners. It drives me freaking nuts. All the loud talking arguments and forced emotion are just too much for me to take.

The only show I've ever enjoyed on ESPN radio was the Big Show with Coop and Newey. Didn't really care for Newey, but Coop is greatness.

Didn't coop(aka the higher authority) start off as drive time for the ticket on day one? I remember he was drive time for a while atleast... I think. I've killed a lot of braincells since then...

I trust what Georgio has to say because I figure he's much more informed that I'll ever be, but you summed up my feelings as well, in that I think there is no reason that the team shouldn't be more competitive than they are now. I wouldn't be surprised at an 0-12 season, but I think we should have been able to stay a bit closer to teams at least for a quarter or half of the game. However, it does look like we may be getting some improvement in the last couple of games, so maybe the young ones are starting to get better with more time/experience.

gk

I have been super critical of the whole football program this season but for some reason after listen to George yesterday, I have somewhat cooled my stance a little and willing to give it a little more time after listening to what he said. Now lets not forget that Jub Jub is the biggest NT homer so maybe all of that was all kool aid and homer talk. I still say this team SHOULD be a lot lot more competitive than what it has shown this season. Just one more season after this and if it is still similar then TD needs to go.

I would say too dirty... if more people were clued in.

I'm amazed it has lasted this long.

I even lobbied Lorenzo to have my title changed to "Mean Green Facepainter," but sadly, the request goes unheeded.

Also, what's so dirty about liking Mario Bros. villains and cake? Think it was a coincidence those ghosts covered their faces and froze every time you faced them directly?

Edited by Quoner

I was listening to the Ticket yestrday afternnon, around 520pm.

George went into a discussion about North Texas football, Coach

Todd Dodge, and the NT players. About 5 minutes worth of his

views on the whole program. Here are a few of points of George's

first hand information. These are not exact quotes but you will understand

what Geroge is saying.

#1: George stated if his son can play college ball, he would want his son

to play for Coach Dodge because of the way Coach Dodge takes care of

the players, and wants the players to be successful, both with earning their

degree and with college football.

#2: Coach Dodge has assembled more high quality D1 talent than ever before.

There are true freshmen, redshirts and sophmores gaining the experience they

need now that will pay off down the road. The new stadium will help the recruiting

efforts tremediously.

#3: George stated he wished many of the NT fans to realize the rebuilding of

North Texas football is going to take time, and that Coach Dodge is the man

for this job. Coach Dodge has a excellent and inovative offensive system, that

is developing the team. Sure we are disappointed not having a win yet, and so

is Coach Dodge. The team has been closer to winning than what we know.

#4: In his first year back, Gary DeLoach is teaching his defense to the young

players. These players are getting better each week, gaining confidence, and

learning the game. DeLoach will get the job done. DeLoach had the NT defense

ranked at #4 in the country, but it took 2 years to do it.

#5: I found this very interesting coming from George. "The cupboard was pretty

bear." Dodge and Deloach are putting the young players on the field because

they are the best they have.

I trust Geroge Dunham and his views. George has seen more NT football than

all of us put together. And I approve of this message.

I think it's great that George pumps our program up as much as he does, but keep in mind, he said the same of DD and anyone else that has coached here. He actually made some of the same comments about Trilli. AND it is the reason most of the guys pay little attention to UNT and what he says about them.

I think it's great that George pumps our program up as much as he does, but keep in mind, he said the same of DD and anyone else that has coached here. He actually made some of the same comments about Trilli. AND it is the reason most of the guys pay little attention to UNT and what he says about them.

Dig, ding , ding, we have a winner. I like George and occasionally listen to his show. However, he's the biggest NT homer in DFW. He was against the DD firing. You guys need to look at where he's coming from and his position with NT football. The guy is the radio personality of NT and gets up close & personal with the coaching staff. This fact alone compromises his opinions, IMO. Knowing Dodge & Dickey on the personal level is totally different from what general NT fans can say. I'm absolutely sure DD & Todd Dodge are two of the greatest guys to know - Could they/can they take NT football to where it needs to be? Dickey could not, and Dodge is heading down the same path.

Edited by Got5onIt

Look at this way, we barely had a program when Todd Dodge got here. Yes, we had 4 conference championships, many agree it was in the weakest conference in Div.1 but still we won Div. 1 Championships. If we are building a program for the long term, where we have a solid program year in and year out, then I am willing to give Dodge some more time. I look at it in that we are no different than say South Florida starting its program accept we are fielding a team in our first couple of years in building a program. I don't accept losing if its just one game, but I am just trying to be positive. I think that George's post has a lot of insight, and I do think we need to be patient. We need to give the stadium a chance as a recruiting tool for at least a couple of classes. Many on this board have said this is what was needed. I think now that it looks as if it is going to happen, then we need to give man who was brought here to help us get to this position a chance. 2 seasons with what he has been asked to do is not enough. That said, our comments can be critical, and everybody in the athletic department should know we expect this pain to get us a lot of gain.

I'll put it this way in regards of playing so many young players.

If you pitted a Varsity High School program against a JV football team, The Varsity team is going to be more competitive because of experience and they would be more developed physically than the JV squad.

So, since we are playing so many young players, we are going to be less likely to win because very other team we are playing have Junior's and Senor's going up against our Freshman and Sophomore's.

That is how I rationalize it, and it makes me feel better because we should be pretty good next year and the years beyond. But right now, we are going to have to play mistake free and have a little luck if we are going to pull out any wins this year.