Fau's Schnelly Is At It Again

GMoney

LONGHORNS FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK

Florida Atlantic coach: Horns aren't tough

By Suzanne Halliburton, Alan Trubow

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Florida Atlantic coach: Horns aren't tough

Texas officially has been called out, and the Longhorns' opener has suddenly become a much more interesting game

That's because Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger told the University Press, Florida Atlantic's student newspaper that the Longhorns "aren't tough."

"Once we step out on the field with Texas, the only ones who can help us is ourselves. Texas always has a very polished team that has great talent, but they aren't tough. They aren't a physically tough team," Schnellenberger said.

"My defense will get to a point where they will be mean, nasty and ornery bastards, and that's what you need for Texas. Texas will move the ball with tit-for-tat screens and options, but we'll make them pay a price whenever they catch one of those dinky passes. We'll put three hats on them and make them not want to get up. That's the way to beat Texas."

The Owls were 8-5 last season and beat Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl.

Schnellenberger and the Owls will find out if Texas is tough or not at 6 p.m. on Aug. 30.

There is a man that is not afraid to speak his mind!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ease up on ol' Howie...he played for Bear Bryant in the days before facemasks. He's sure to have taken to damage from those days that is just now surfacing.

My guess is UT responds by going deep on play one one so FAU can't get "three hats" on the screen and bubble passes too soon. Then, Howie will see it doesn't matter how hard you hit if you don't have the speed to catch the player you're trying to hit - lessons Todd Dodge learned at OU and Arkansas last year.

Howard is brilliant.

95% of coaches start poor-mouthing about hoping no one gets hurt and you can't tell me the team doesn't hear that crap.

Howard is out-gunned and knows it but he's doing his best to not let his team know it.

If Texas blows FAU out of the water, no big deal, same old crap when the little guy goes on the road.

But if they win...

It's a freaking called shot home run, the stuff of legend.

Howards just fighting fire with fire.

Earlier this summer Texas assistant coach Major Applewhite responded to a question about who would be this season's starting quarterback by saying "We won't really know until the 3rd game, since we don't play anybody in our first 2 games. We play Florida Atlantic and UTEP, and since we're going to kick their asses we won't really be able to tell for sure until we play some actual competition."

Edited by ADLER

I like Howard. He's done everything he has said he would do. The entire program is, what, 6 or 7 years old, and he's already gone to, and won a bowl game.

And, we haven't beaten them yet.

I've always been a UT fan, but a Florida Atlantic upset would be great for the conference and for college football.

GO MEAN GREEN

I liked the Corky Nelson approach. He talked about how his team would need to play a good game to win, but no matter what the "Big Name" opponent would know they'd been in a game after they played NT.

This guy is nuts. FAU will get dominated by UT.....DOMINATED.

I just can't wait to read his response after it happens.

ps I am not a UT fan either and usually root for the opposing team, but you have to draw the line somewhere (between insanity and reality)

I agree...the UT third teamers can beat FAU any day. He's certainly a certified idiot.