Unt's Dodge Pushes For New Stadium In 2010

UNTflyer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a school as big as NT (30,000 enrollment), 3rd largest school in the state of Texas, a zillion alums, how can this stadium not already have been built? I can't believe there are not NT alums with money? Or do they not care? It has to be something people. It's starting to frustrate me, after watching you people stress over this the last couple of years.

I don't think that will be a problem at unt.

But, if we don't get this stadium going... it most likely isn't because of the school officials.

It will be because of the students.

The students certainly do have an important role, but there needs to be some decisive leadership from Dr. Bataille.

Just 'watching with interest' can be done by a lawn statue. The university needs leadership.

Edited by ADLER

With a school as big as NT (30,000 enrollment), 3rd largest school in the state of Texas, a zillion alums, how can this stadium not already have been built? I can't believe there are not NT alums with money? Or do they not care? It has to be something people. It's starting to frustrate me, after watching you people stress over this the last couple of years.

What do you mean you people?? :angry::D:P

The students certainly do have an important roll., but there needs to be some decisive leadership from Dr. Bataille.

Just 'watching with interest' can be done by a lawn statue. The university needs leadership.

This kind of important roll??

10207.jpg

Or this kind??

Cotton_Roll1.jpg

How can you even say that?

HKS hired to design stadium

Radisson lease canceled

Marketing firm hired to find stadium sponsor

Corporate papers doubled

Head coach demanding new stadium in 2 years

Some big meeting at the Gateway Center last week regarding stadium

To say there is too little action...? Do you expect RV to invite you to lunch to talk lay out the entire plan?

No, I've heard enough talk already...that was the point of my comment. I can pay for and lay out the plans for my 10,000 sq. ft. dream mansion too, but those plans don't provide shelter from the heat, rain and cold....nor does hiring a company to design a stadium translate to being a done deal. How long does it take to design a stadium anyway? HKS got the contract in February. Were their designs in the packet that Vito got? If so, why is it ok to publicize the fact that we hired a prestigious company like HKS but we can't publish the actual designs?

And until a get a phone call from someone in the marketing department inquiring about the possibility of one of my clients becoming a corporate sponsor, I'll have to believe that the marketing efforts are nonexistent.

I don't have much more to add than what emmitt already mentioned. I've been hearing about proposed stadium plans, UNT Master Plans (the latest from Sasaki Associates), proposed land/propery acquisitions, etc, etc, etc, since at least 1998. I've seen some progress over the years but I've also seen a LOT of missed deadlines and heard a LOT of excuses.

The students certainly do have an important roll, but there needs to be some decisive leadership from Dr. Bataille.

You may have a valid point... But, what exactly are you wanting Bataille to do? What makes you think her and/or RV haven't been rubbing shoulders with a few big donors? What makes you so sure there isn't a game plan?

I understand you and anyone else being frustrated with things and how the past has been. But, you are not "in the know" of things. You don't know what they are doing. You are just jaded from the past decade or so of an athletic department making empty dates for a new stadium. I understand anyone feeling that way. but, I believe things are different. I have never seen the effort made now that was never made before... These past 6 months have been full of new stadium activity. I have seen what we have to look forward to... and it looks pretty damn sweet.

Everything depends on the support of the students. I believe it can begin or end with the them.

BTW, in 72 hours I now have 266 members of the Facebook stadium group with 460 more members waiting for a reply. The word is spreading.

So you're the guy that was on Facebook touting the new Mean Green message board. What happened to meangreennation.com?

So you're the guy that was on Facebook touting the new Mean Green message board. What happened to meangreennation.com?

It was intended to be a great website with stats and history and videos and stuff like that. It kinda got put on the back burner and then died with a whimper. Besides, there's no better Mean Green site than GoMeanGreen.com

:D

Everything depends on the support of the students. I believe it can begin or end with the them.

It's getting exciting with all the talk and the activity going on, and I understand that our veteran fans are skeptical. But rest assured, there is a LOT of stuff going on behind the scenes.

There is still a lot of work to do, and I hope to be part of the work this fall. I think the plan is the right plan: Get the design, present it to the students, get the stadium fee passed, and land the big donors.

I received a message on this earlier, and it was also posted over on the Facebook page so I guess it's no secret now...

Final plans are in hand over at the AD.

I wouldn't say "final" (yet i kinda do) so much as there is a fundemental concrete layout... there will be some modifications, and some tweaking here and there. But, essentially the layout, setup, and structure appears to be set. at least, that is the idea i am getting.

but, what do i know. :)

Guest GrayEagleOne

If I read all of the negative posters on this board there is absolutely no need for a stadium, anyway.

1. We have collected exactly ZERO for this project. We have been in the silent phase since Hayden coached here to absolutely no avail.

2. The student body won't support any fees toward a stadium. We have a bunch of commuters and hippies who could care less about football or any other athletics.

3. We have a faculty that's only concerned with their tenure and fear that any money spent on a stadium will reduce their raises. The football coach makes much more than their top professors.

4. Dentonites are a bunch of artsy-fartsy music lovers who will never bother to attend any North Texas athletic event. Let's not bother them because it's a waste of time.

5. The alumni have long since been disenfranchised from the university and can never be resurrected. Only three or four thouseand bother to buy season tickets and/or give to the Mean Green Club.

6, Rick V and the Athletic Department have done NOTHING towards a new stadium as long as he's been here.

7. We can't even keep a development officer because no one is able to raise a single dollar. Tim Fitzpatrick was the only one capable of doing that and we can't pry him loose from Indiana.

8. We're staying in the Sun Belt Conference where we'll continue to draw 16-18,000 because the two Louisiana schools are the only ones within a day's drive.

9. The administration doesn't have the collective balls to move this program forward.

Did I miss anything? So, if all of the above is true as reported by our faithful on this board, then why should we even attempt to try to gather the funds for a stadium? I guess that I should be ready to go to the house since some of our most vocal leaders apparently already have.

If I read all of the negative posters on this board there is absolutely no need for a stadium, anyway.

1. We have collected exactly ZERO for this project. We have been in the silent phase since Hayden coached here to absolutely no avail.

2. The student body won't support any fees toward a stadium. We have a bunch of commuters and hippies who could care less about football or any other athletics.

3. We have a faculty that's only concerned with their tenure and fear that any money spent on a stadium will reduce their raises. The football coach makes much more than their top professors.

4. Dentonites are a bunch of artsy-fartsy music lovers who will never bother to attend any North Texas athletic event. Let's not bother them because it's a waste of time.

5. The alumni have long since been disenfranchised from the university and can never be resurrected. Only three or four thouseand bother to buy season tickets and/or give to the Mean Green Club.

6, Rick V and the Athletic Department have done NOTHING towards a new stadium as long as he's been here.

7. We can't even keep a development officer because no one is able to raise a single dollar. Tim Fitzpatrick was the only one capable of doing that and we can't pry him loose from Indiana.

8. We're staying in the Sun Belt Conference where we'll continue to draw 16-18,000 because the two Louisiana schools are the only ones within a day's drive.

9. The administration doesn't have the collective balls to move this program forward.

Did I miss anything? So, if all of the above is true as reported by our faithful on this board, then why should we even attempt to try to gather the funds for a stadium? I guess that I should be ready to go to the house since some of our most vocal leaders apparently already have.

Other than those excusing said negativity because "it's July and there's not much else to talk about", I think you've just about covered it!

You may have a valid point... But, what exactly are you wanting Bataille to do? What makes you think her and/or RV haven't been rubbing shoulders with a few big donors? What makes you so sure there isn't a game plan?

I understand you and anyone else being frustrated with things and how the past has been. But, you are not "in the know" of things. You don't know what they are doing. You are just jaded from the past decade or so of an athletic department making empty dates for a new stadium. I understand anyone feeling that way. but, I believe things are different. I have never seen the effort made now that was never made before... These past 6 months have been full of new stadium activity. I have seen what we have to look forward to... and it looks pretty damn sweet.

I really hope that you are right. I really do.

There is so much riding on this referendum. It could be a permanent solution to the most visible deficiency that has haunted North Texas for over 60 years.

A defeat, or insufficient increase, may still get a minimal stadium built, but the results from a low budget will not only prevent North Texas from moving into higher profile leagues, but could eventually lead to North Texas departing the Bowl Championship level along with other under-performing schools.

There are alums with money. That is not the problem. The problem is finding alums with the money AND who care about athletics AND who want to part with their money in tough economic times. It is not that they don't have the money to give. Do you give the money for a new stadium when so many people around the country are hurting? Timing is very important in big gifts, and donors often want to do it in such a way that it enhances their image.

There are alums with money. That is not the problem. The problem is finding alums with the money AND who care about athletics AND who want to part with their money in tough economic times. It is not that they don't have the money to give. Do you give the money for a new stadium when so many people around the country are hurting? Timing is very important in big gifts, and donors often want to do it in such a way that it enhances their image.

Then just give the gift anonymously if you are worried about your image. :D

Yes I have given for at least five years directly to athletic facilities, and sent in my final contribution today to such until I see evidence of a committment from the top. Gretchen should put up at least a thousand dollars of her personal funds as a gesture to show she believes in this and wants to see it done now. If the students turn down a fee increase then they will have collectively said I don't give a rat's about my degree or I'm just a commuter parasite only in school because I'm incapable of making it in the real world. All those who talk of a great MUSIC school, tell me when a music concert has drawn the 15 to 20K people that FB does? One season of FB is probably seen by as many spectators as have ever witnessed all the music school performances in the history of the school. I do agree that the message Dodge is sending is similar to that of June Jones, and he is saying walk the walk or I am walking the premises. UNT will never be considered politically or perceived by the general public as an upper tier research university in Texas without a competitive athletic program that changes the perception of a commuter community college for teachers and musicians, whose student body is generally made up of degenerate weirdos with numerous body piercings and "non-traditional, apathetic, uninspired" hippie throwbacks.

Yes I have given for at least five years directly to athletic facilities, and sent in my final contribution today to such until I see evidence of a committment from the top. Gretchen should put up at least a thousand dollars of her personal funds as a gesture to show she believes in this and wants to see it done now. If the students turn down a fee increase then they will have collectively said I don't give a rat's about my degree or I'm just a commuter parasite only in school because I'm incapable of making it in the real world. All those who talk of a great MUSIC school, tell me when a music concert has drawn the 15 to 20K people that FB does? One season of FB is probably seen by as many spectators as have ever witnessed all the music school performances in the history of the school. I do agree that the message Dodge is sending is similar to that of June Jones, and he is saying walk the walk or I am walking the premises. UNT will never be considered politically or perceived by the general public as an upper tier research university in Texas without a competitive athletic program that changes the perception of a commuter community college for teachers and musicians, whose student body is generally made up of degenerate weirdos with numerous body piercings and "non-traditional, apathetic, uninspired" hippie throwbacks.

You know Jim, I was afraid that you might make some vague generic post, where no one clearly understood where you might stand on the subject. :rolleyes:

And while I'll ignore the "parasite" comment (since I was a commuter myself), I will tend to agree with you about the general slacker mentality of a noticable portion of the student body.

However, to put it in terms of parenting, a child grows up a slacker only because their parents do not set standards, and consistently stand behind (and enforce) those standards.

The North Texas administration has traditionally been slack (and inconsistent) in their attitudes about athletics. When they did start taking bold action during the Hayden Fry days, they quickly retreated after he left. You've privately told a story that illustrates that attitude regarding our first 1-AA play-off game. And how it should have had a much different outcome, were it not for a lack of nerve and vision on the part of administrators. ;)

Care to share the story in print?

Edited by SilverEagle

All those who talk of a great MUSIC school, tell me when a music concert has drawn the 15 to 20K people that FB does? One season of FB is probably seen by as many spectators as have ever witnessed all the music school performances in the history of the school.

We can talk all day about how there are other facets of the school that are worthy of attention besides athletics. I agree that you can be attached to your graduating department, your school organization, or even your old dorm.

But you are exactly right that Athletics is in a class by itself. There's is simply no other department, organzation, or club that generates as much passion post-graduation like athletics, specifically football. It isn't even close. Until I see the music program, or the school of education, or even my beloved MPA program generate 20,000 fans, who give up entire Saturdays, donate hundreds of dollars, AND spread the good word, I will be fully convinced that Athletics is at the top of the list.

Show me a message board for another UNT interest that gets half or even a quarter of the traffic of gmg.com. Show me another interest where you are literally cheering for your school. Show me another interest that competitively weighs itself against opposing schools, and does so in a format that the masses take seriously. The first person to show me another UNT interest which matches these criteria I'll award a six pack in September.

But the fact is, it just can't be done. Athletics isn't just an outlet for school passion. It generates passion. It also happens to generate publicity and dollars on a scale that other interests can only dream about. It isn't just a window through which our university is viewed, it is THE window.

Me: "Hey, did you hear that our MPA program is ranked 9th in the country?"

Joe on the street: "Ok."

Me: "Hey, do you know we have the premier music program in the country?"

Jane on the street: "Yeah, I think I heard about that."

Me: "Hey, did you hear that North Texas beat Oklahoma last week?"

Jordan on the street: "Man, I sure did. I can't believe it. Did you know that I actually graduated from North Texas?"

Me: "Cool. You should get season tickets!"

Jordan on the street: "You're totally right. And, as it turns out, I also happen to be an anonymous billionaire who is really looking for a place to donate this pesky $10 million that's been cluttering up my bank account."

Exaggerations aside, THIS is how you build interest. Even if you don't care a thing about sports, you can't help but hear about it. Whether it be around the water cooler, or sports radio, or the local news, a committment to athletics pays dividends that can't be matched anywhere else in the university.

I'll close with this: if you could place $30 million dollars anywhere in the university, where could you best leverage that to eliminate apathy, generate school interest, attract a higher quality of student, and improve alumni donations? Anyone?

I'll close with this: if you could place $30 million dollars anywhere in the university, where could you best leverage that to eliminate apathy, generate school interest, attract a higher quality of student, and improve alumni donations? Anyone?

Well said.

Why are you not employed as a stadium fundraiser?

Well said.

Why are you not employed as a stadium fundraiser?

Probably because he has a UNT degree and not a USM degree. Seems to unfortunately be the norm these days, unlike at most other universities who would love to hire Alumni who would fight for their University.