Unt Football Needs To Bring The “mean” Back To Mean Green

mgsteve

Pegasus News

When Todd Dodge became the new head football coach at The University of North Texas, few people doubted that he would put up big offensive numbers. Some even believed he would be successful leading the Mean Green to be a top program in the Sun Belt Conference. Others, however, doubted his ability to be successful at the college level. Dodge’s previous stop was at the high school level, head coach at Southlake Carroll High School in Southlake, TX.

Dodge proved both sides right, and wrong. Dodge’s offense was good. Freshman Giovanni Vizza was Freshman of the Year in the Sun Belt Conference. He threw for over 2300 yards with 17 touchdowns as a starter in 8 games. Wide Receiver Casey Fitzgerald was a 1,000 yard receiver for UNT, including a game against SMU where he caught 18 passes for 327 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Mean Green moved the ball well, but struggled to score a lot of touchdowns in the red zone. The big problem was their defense. Dodge and his defensive coordinator, Ron Mendoza, seemed to be overmatched at the college level.

At the end of the season, Dodge made a defensive coaching change. Dodge brought former UNT Defensive Coordinator Gary DeLoach. DeLoach’s defenses at UNT were spectacular. During the spring practices, it seemed as if the UNT defense is already making progress. This move may have been a college level move by Dodge. If DeLoach can make the UNT defense significantly better, then UNT will be a dangerous team in the Sun Belt Conference.

For the Mean Green to be successful, Dodge, DeLoach, and UNT has to put the mean back into the Mean Green. They have to force turnovers like they did against UL Monroe, their lone conference win in 2007. They will need more depth at the defensive line. There is enough talent in the DFW area to recruit and find the defensive skill players, therefore, it is the defensive line they have to find talent to help make the front 7 better. If we remember Terry Bowden’s characteristics of a champion, we will recognize the need to stop the run. A good, a better, defensive line is key to stopping the run. The highlight of UNT’s ineptness against the run was against Navy when the Mean Green gave up 572 yards on the ground.

Keep an eye on UNT this fall to see if they put the Mean back into the Mean Green.

[url=http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008/may/28/unt-f

For the Mean Green to be successful, Dodge, DeLoach, and UNT has to put the mean back into the Mean Green. They have to force turnovers like they did against UL Monroe, their lone conference win in 2007. They will need more depth at the defensive line. There is enough talent in the DFW area to recruit and find the defensive skill players, therefore, it is the defensive line they have to find talent to help make the front 7 better. If we remember Terry Bowden’s characteristics of a champion, we will recognize the need to stop the run. A good, a better, defensive line is key to stopping the run. The highlight of UNT’s ineptness against the run was against Navy when the Mean Green gave up 572 yards on the ground.

Keep an eye on UNT this fall to see if they put the Mean back into the Mean Green.

I feel the MEAN will be back in the UNT lineup this fall. Dodge brought in DeLoach, he has six returning starters, several redshirts Russso, Desoto, Nwigwe, Warren, Garden, and transfer players Horton, Hill, Adams, and a slew of mean freshman. With a good showing this year this could easily double.

I feel the MEAN will be back in the UNT lineup this fall. Dodge brought in DeLoach, he has six returning starters, several redshirts Russso, Desoto, Nwigwe, Warren, Garden, and transfer players Horton, Hill, Adams, and a slew of mean freshman. With a good showing this year this could easily double.

Same here. DeLoach did great things when he was here, and here he is again, years later. I got a feeling DeLoach is a better coach now than he was under Dickey, and that'll mean something incredible should be in store come September.

I epect to see a much improved MEAN GREEN defense this year. I am looking forward to sitting in Fouts to see that first home game this year and the "new" attitude on defense. I can only imagine waht the record would have been last season with the defense I expect to see on the field this season...go get your season tickets now because this year is going to be a fun time to be in Fouts.

GO MEAN GREEN...buy season tickets...if fans do not show up at Fouts why should anyone want to give big bucks for a new stadium when it seems no one cares enough to show up for games? Think about that a bit while you decide to buy or not buy season tickets. If you want a new stadium sooner than later you can do your part startuing right now by sitting in a seat at Fouts for every home game this next season. Just ponder on that idea for a moment or two. GO MEAN GREEN.

I epect to see a much improved MEAN GREEN defense this year. I am looking forward to sitting in Fouts to see that first home game this year and the "new" attitude on defense. I can only imagine waht the record would have been last season with the defense I expect to see on the field this season...go get your season tickets now because this year is going to be a fun time to be in Fouts.

GO MEAN GREEN...buy season tickets...if fans do not show up at Fouts why should anyone want to give big bucks for a new stadium when it seems no one cares enough to show up for games? Think about that a bit while you decide to buy or not buy season tickets. If you want a new stadium sooner than later you can do your part startuing right now by sitting in a seat at Fouts for every home game this next season. Just ponder on that idea for a moment or two. GO MEAN GREEN.

I am with you, I paid for tickets in March.

I thought this story was alot better than some of the other pre-season stories

I have read. The author, Todd E. Jones, had a pretty fair analysis of last years

team. The one point that makes me cringe, is hearing over and over, about the

45 points per game average the team gave up last year. At least Jones did not

bring that point up. It is no secret the defense last year was really pushed around.

With Gary Deloach back, there will be a good improvement in the defense vs last

years defensive team, but, there are a few pieces of the puzzle not in place for

the 2008 defensive team. DeLoach only had spring training to install his system,

a new defensive backs coach installing pass coverage, new players-new positions,

and now, only fall 2 a days to put it all together and get ready for the season opener.

The defense will take time to develop, but will play much better than last years

defensive team. DeLoach will need another year, maybe two years, to recruit the

players he needs, and to develop the dominating defensive teams he is known for.

The improved offense should help rest the D.

Yes, the offense has improved under Dodge, at least the passing offense. It is much more explosive than DD's "three yards and a cloud of dust" offense. But the flip side to this is that Dodge's offense typically scores much quicker than DD's, thus not giving the defense as much rest.

I think the defense will be much improved under Deloach, but depth could be an issue. It would be nice to be able to rotate players in along the D-line, but I don't think the depth is there yet to allow this to happen.

Yes, the offense has improved under Dodge, at least the passing offense. It is much more explosive than DD's "three yards and a cloud of dust" offense. But the flip side to this is that Dodge's offense typically scores much quicker than DD's, thus not giving the defense as much rest.

I think the defense will be much improved under Deloach, but depth could be an issue. It would be nice to be able to rotate players in along the D-line, but I don't think the depth is there yet to allow this to happen.

I went to most of the spring practices. DeLoach was really changing the attitude of the defense. He was always the loudest coach on the field, and really spent a lot of time teaching the players about being in the proper position, understanding their responsibility, and trusting in their team mates. The D had the attitude that the ball was theirs and they wanted it back. Of the LBs, Toby was the most intense. His motor was always on, and was the hardest hitter in the unit.

Dodge spent much of the practices focused on scoring in the red zone. WRs worked on breaking off routes to find the soft areas in the coverage. QBs worked on accuracy and throwing the deep ball. The O-line was missing too many players to know where they will be in the fall, and RBs looked ok, but we need more speed. Cam will probably push Mosley for playing time. Points will not be a problem in the fall. The offense will not leave points on the field. The kicker Knot has a very strong leg. When we get the ball inside the 30 to 35, we should at least get 3 most of the time.

This fall the "Mean" will be back in the Mean Green defense, but I don't think it is fair to expect too much from the defense in DeLoach's first year back. This defense is short on the depth, and speed needed to really give us a chance to upset the teams like LSU.

That being said, a 4 or 5 win season is a safe bet, but few key injuries could turn it into another 2 and 10 year. But that's not what I think will happen, because I'm a fan. NT goes 7-5 beating Rice, FIU, ULL, ULM, W. Kentucky, Mid Tenn, and Ark. St.

That's my best guess from what I've seen anyway.

I think that's a very fair assessment SSJ. My only concern is that they have not done well in terms of recruiting the defensive line and they knew that was an area that needed improvement. I think they have addressed the other areas pretty well. This program had gotten fairly "light" from a size and weight perspective in Dickey's last couple of years. I hope that in 2009 Dodge will spend at least half of his schollies on down linemen (offensive and defensive).

Does anyone else ever get tired of all this waiting--giving it four years and such? Corky Nelson, Matt Simon, and need I say Hayden Fry never got that long a leash--Why can't we EXPECT TO WIN NOW????? This program has been on a steady downward spiral since 2002.

No, as we have faith in TD. We do grow tired of your attitude; and negative shots at the program in your posts.

My concern is that our defense "practices" against a spread offense. During an interview, Howard Snellenberger(?) brought this up as to why he dislikes the spread offense. Paraphrasing his comments, "practicing against the spread just doesn't toughen up your defense enough to go against good running teams". Based on our defensive performance last year, there could be some truth to Snellie's comments. That and coach mendoza.

My concern is that our defense "practices" against a spread offense. During an interview, Howard Snellenberger(?) brought this up as to why he dislikes the spread offense. Paraphrasing his comments, "practicing against the spread just doesn't toughen up your defense enough to go against good running teams". Based on our defensive performance last year, there could be some truth to Snellie's comments. That and coach mendoza.

So, Troy, Texas Tech and a number of others have the same problems because they practice against the spread ? Don't think so. Our main defensive problem was the Mendoza factor.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Since when did Texas Tech start playing good defense?

they play well enough... for the players they get, they do a good job. I'd take their D.

I see your point, it's not an elite D, but is there a spread offense team that DOES have an elite D? I think you just ask your D to do ENOUGH, and hold on... if we can just marginally improve our defense (and turn it over a whole lot less) we should be much improved this year.