Texas To Play At Wyoming In 2009

SUMG

(FYI: Wyoming's stadium seats 33,000). Info below from the Star-Telegram blog:

Texas officials have completed their non-conference football schedules for 2009 and 2010 by adding games against Wyoming, Louisiana-Monroe and Florida Atlantic.

Texas will play a three-game series against Wyoming, beginning in 2009, as well as home games against Louisiana-Monroe (2009) and Florida Atlantic (2010).

DeLoss Dodds, Texas' athletic director, said one vacancy on the 2009 slate arose when officials agreed to postpone a scheduled game at Arkansas until after the 2013 season, at the request of Razorbacks' officials. To fill that vacancy, Texas will play at Wyoming on Sept. 12, 2009. As part of the three-game agreement, the Cowboys will play twice in Austin _ on Sept. 11, 2010 and Sept. 1, 2012.

Texas also announced one-game agreements to play Louisian-Monroe on Sept. 5, 2009 and Florida Atlantic on Sept. 25, 2010. Both games will be in Austin.

Edited by SUMG

I can't wait to see how some of these 2010-2012 projected schedules wiill begin to get scrambled when UNT unveils a new showcase quality development that includes a multi-use football stadium.

Go MeanGreen, Go UNT, Go Exes Alumni!

We can't wait either. :rolleyes:

Guest 97and03

The thing that you will notice about this game and the Southern Miss deal is that they are 2 for 1 deals, with 2 away games in return for the 1 home game. Rick doesn't want to go for the 2 for 1 games anymore. 1 for 1 or nothing.

Rick doesn't want to go for the 2 for 1 games anymore. 1 for 1 or nothing.

Anymore we haven't even had the 2 for 1 games. The past ten years we've had a 2 for 1 with Baylor and Tech(Texas Stadium) and eventually K-State will come here. I want big time teams coming into Denton I don't care if we are playing 3 for 1 it's better than the 2 for 0 we've been getting.

(FYI: Wyoming's stadium seats 33,000). Info below from the Star-Telegram blog:

Texas officials have completed their non-conference football schedules for 2009 and 2010 by adding games against Wyoming, Louisiana-Monroe and Florida Atlantic.

Texas will play a three-game series against Wyoming, beginning in 2009, as well as home games against Louisiana-Monroe (2009) and Florida Atlantic (2010).

DeLoss Dodds, Texas' athletic director, said one vacancy on the 2009 slate arose when officials agreed to postpone a scheduled game at Arkansas until after the 2013 season, at the request of Razorbacks' officials. To fill that vacancy, Texas will play at Wyoming on Sept. 12, 2009. As part of the three-game agreement, the Cowboys will play twice in Austin _ on Sept. 11, 2010 and Sept. 1, 2012.

Texas also announced one-game agreements to play Louisian-Monroe on Sept. 5, 2009 and Florida Atlantic on Sept. 25, 2010. Both games will be in Austin.

And we care about this because...?

Guest GrayEagleOne

And we care about this because...?

My take is that we care about this because Wyoming has a 33,000 seat stadium and yet is able to attract the University of Texas. That tells me that UT isn't only about the money. If and when we get our 35,000 seat stadium (at least that's what the Master Plan calls for) we should be able to attract a future game with Texas; perhaps also on a 2 for 1 basis.

My take is that we care about this because Wyoming has a 33,000 seat stadium and yet is able to attract the University of Texas. That tells me that UT isn't only about the money. If and when we get our 35,000 seat stadium (at least that's what the Master Plan calls for) we should be able to attract a future game with Texas; perhaps also on a 2 for 1 basis.

Exactly right, Gray Eagle old pal. That's why I think it's relevant to UNT.

Exactly right, Gray Eagle old pal. That's why I think it's relevant to UNT.

New stadium = better competition coming to Denton

But I hate to tell everyone Texas won't even consider coming to Denton unless Texas OU goes to a home and home. SMU has a new stadium and TCU has a stadium that holds 46000 and Texas hasn't been to either since the SWC folded and they won't return to either anytime soon. The already play in Dallas once a year and have a better recruiting hold on DFW than any other school so they have nothing to gain by playing at any of the DFW schools.

But I hate to tell everyone Texas won't even consider coming to Denton unless Texas OU goes to a home and home. SMU has a new stadium and TCU has a stadium that holds 46000 and Texas hasn't been to either since the SWC folded and they won't return to either anytime soon. The already play in Dallas once a year and have a better recruiting hold on DFW than any other school so they have nothing to gain by playing at any of the DFW schools.

Yup.

Once we get a new stadium (god I hate typing that phrase) we'll be able to attract other BCS programs that aren't Texas due to our location in the metroplex. I'd like to see some Pac-10 teams or maybe an SEC team at some point.

However, the ONLY reason they are playing Wyoming at Wyoming is because Arkansas needed out of their game with Texas. It has nothing to do with Wyoming having a 33K seat stadium. Wyoming "attracted" Texas with their open date.

Wyoming Cowboys and Texas Longhorns Agree to Three-Game Football Series Beginning in Laramie in 2009

The Cowboys and Longhorns will meet for the first time since 1978.

April 4, 2008

LARAMIE, Wyo. -

University of Wyoming Athletics Director Tom Burman and University of Texas Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds announced on Friday that the Wyoming Cowboys and Texas Longhorns have agreed in principle to a three-game football series beginning in 2009. The series will begin with Wyoming hosting Texas in Laramie on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009.

"We are extremely excited to bring one of the premier football programs in the country to our fans," said Burman. "Texas possesses as rich a tradition in college football as any team in the country. They have captured four National Championships including their most recent BCS Championship in 2005. We believe this game will be the biggest game in the history of War Memorial Stadium.

"We do not as yet have an executed contract in place, but we have come to terms on all the major points of the agreement and both DeLoss Dodds and I were comfortable enough with the terms to make the announcement at this time."

After opening the three-game series in Laramie in `09, Wyoming will travel to Austin, Texas, twice for road games on Sept. 11, 2010, and Sept. 1, 2012.

The terms of the contract include an exchange of guarantees of $250,000 each for the 2009 and 2010 meetings, with Texas paying Wyoming $900,000 in 2012.

Wyoming and Texas have played only two previous times -- in 1974 and 1978 -- both games were played in Austin, Texas. The first meeting saw the Longhorns win by a score of 34-7 on Sept. 21, 1974, in Fritz Shurmur's last season as head coach of the Cowboys. On Sept. 23, 1978, the Pokes, led by head coach Bill Lewis, faced former Wyoming head coach Fred Akers in a hard-fought game won by Texas, 17-3.

In addition to their BCS Championship in 2005, Texas also won National Championships in 1963, 1969 and 1970.

Texas vs Wyoming deal

Well, if that can be done in Wyoming and in Central Florida, then it should be able to be done in North Texas.

Please, no more selling of games without return dates...ever.

Edited by ADLER

Well, if that can be done in Wyoming and in Central Florida, then it should be able to be done in North Texas.

Please, no more selling of games without return dates...ever.

tU wil NEVER, EVER play NT anywhere but Austin. They already play in the best attended college football game in the Metroplex, when they play Oklahoma. And it will be even better attended when they move the game to Jerry's palace in Arlington. As much as I love NT, that's just the reality. No one is going to play in Denton, unless they don't already play in the Metroplex that season, like Tulsa. They play NT to keep a yearly presence in the area, when they aren't playing at SMU.

tU wil NEVER, EVER play NT anywhere but Austin. They already play in the best attended college football game in the Metroplex, when they play Oklahoma. And it will be even better attended when they move the game to Jerry's palace in Arlington. As much as I love NT, that's just the reality. No one is going to play in Denton, unless they don't already play in the Metroplex that season, like Tulsa. They play NT to keep a yearly presence in the area, when they aren't playing at SMU.

Are you suggesting that UT is playing the Cowboys only to get a recruiting advantage in Wyoming?

Look at it this way, Wyoming is getting a $250K for $250K home and home series from them, and then getting $900K for the second appearance in Austin. That $900K is higher than any guarantee that I have heard a purely whoring school receive.

It's business, and even the most self enamored programs would be forced to play road games if the non-BCS schools would stop whoring out their teams.

And in the future I never want to hear that teams won't play in Denton because of the stadium. North Texas has a blank slate to start with; if the new stadium is not sufficient to host any Division 1 school, then shame on every person in a decision making capacity.

If we're able to play them then we need to be able to host them. That's just sports and ethical competition.