Woody Wilson, Position Change?

Dodge2007

Hope some of ya'll can call in with questions. Let's let them know that UNT has a big following.

Coach Dodge, from what I am reading on this board and from Media, declares the QB position to be the toughest Competition this August ( I don't get that). Wasn't Meager head and shoulders above Wilson, Tune, and Phillips? Wasn't that question already answered in spring ball? Meager will lead us to many victories this season. He justs needs to forget about all the past sub-par poor performances and get on with the new regime. Although he struggled in the spring game with the exception of two deep balls:......... in practice, Meager was miles ahead of the others. I am not sure Woody Wilson will play QB this season, I believe he might compete with the new WR's for playing time.

Wilson is a weapon when he is on the outside making plays with his feet? Do you see Woody moving over to WR?

Wilson had a fantastic scoring drive at the beginning of the spring game, and made some big plays with his feet. It's an element Dodge values in his QBs. I do relate to how you feel about Meager. Sometimes I speculate that Dodge is biting his tongue until Vizza gets here and shows everyone what he can do.

The last that I heard, Coach Dodge had declared Daniel to be in the lead, but the QB position was still open. I thought that Woody Wilson looked good during the spring game. I find it hard to fathom that any freshmen out of HS can come in and pass up a group of experienced QB's. I think that Mr. Vizza will get a shot, but I believe that he will redshirt this year.

If Coach Dodge was seriously thinking about moving Woody Wilson to DB, then why did he sign that DB out of the California community college?

Guest GrayEagleOne

While Meager was clearly the best quarterback in spring training, I don't think that he's head and shouldders above the rest. I think that the reason it's the toughest competition is because no one is dominant.....at least not yet.

I see Wilson as the fastest and best runner. Phillips has the stronger arm. Meager has the best mechancs and knowledge of the game. I think that we'll find that Vizza is the more accurate of the passers but we don't know about the mental aspects or his ability to avoid the rush. I thought that Tune was a fast learner but he seemed to have problems this past spring so I have not idea where he stands in the mixture.

One thing is certain to me, we'll have two of the better quarterback coaches around to determine who should start. I will feel much better about the decision than anytime in the last two years.

Meager will lead us to many victories this season. He justs needs to forget about all the past sub-par poor performances and get on with the new regime.

Really? What in the past several years leads you to believe that when the big lights come on Meager will show up? Or, to be more specific, what leads you to believe he will step up any better than the rest of the QB's? I know he looked the best in spring ball but nobody was allowed to hit him for real and we were basically running a passing clinic to get accustomed to the system. And, if it's the poor coaching of the last regime that held him back, can't the same be said for all of the other QB prospects?

Not saying I don't think Daniel can do it...I think he has it in him. Just playing devil's advocate and wondering what you've seen that gives you such confidence that he is far and away the best option.

I think that Mr. Vizza will get a shot, but I believe that he will redshirt this year.

From everything I have heard, Vizza was recruited with the intent he would play this year. He was told he would have a shot at being a starter and contributing right away. That was one of the reasons he chose us over Nevada, so I'd be surprised if he was red shirted. Dodge thinks pretty highly of him... he was the only QB he went after this past year.

Really? What in the past several years leads you to believe that when the big lights come on Meager will show up? Or, to be more specific, what leads you to believe he will step up any better than the rest of the QB's? I know he looked the best in spring ball but nobody was allowed to hit him for real and we were basically running a passing clinic to get accustomed to the system. And, if it's the poor coaching of the last regime that held him back, can't the same be said for all of the other QB prospects?

Not saying I don't think Daniel can do it...I think he has it in him. Just playing devil's advocate and wondering what you've seen that gives you such confidence that he is far and away the best option.

I'm doubtful about Meager. He looked good at the Spring Game, but I'm worried about what's going to happen to him on gameday. It seems like he gets really jumpy on under pressure and overthrows or underthrows the ball, or just gets hit. I'd almost rather that the QB try to run the ball and gain or prevent lost yards if he can't read the coverage or if he gets jumpy. I'm still behind Wilson here.

I'd like to point out that there is no way coach Dodge is going to make a final decision on something as important as the QB position based on Spring Football. 2 a days is were that determination will be made and even after that it will still be open because he doesn't know how the QB will be in real game situations. We may be a couple of games into the season before we have a starting QB for the season. Running a spread offense is a tough thing to handle for a QB the first time in a real game situation. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Don Giovanni will lead NT to the promised land. I look for him to see significant playing time this season. No one will touch Don Giovanni.

Does he have Sicilian roots?

Coach Dodge stated "the starting QB will not be looking over his shoulder".

Even though Maegar had a good spring, Coach Dodge still declared the QB battle is far

from over. I beleive the coaching staff will put all the candidates under more pressure

during 2 a days. Some how, one of the candidates must seperate from the others.

Looks like a big battle for the QB position is brewing!

I beleive Coach Dodge wants Vizza to be far and above the other QB's-if not,

Megar will be the guy. If the offense does not go-then Coach Dodge may be forced

to play one or the other QB's. The QB battle may be going on into the season.

Woody Wilson--is too good to keep off the field- so if he does not become the starting

QB, I hope he will be open to play another position like slot WR. Even at Slot-WR,

I can see the staff being able to use Woody's skills for other aspects of the offense.

Heck, why not punt/kick returning?

One thing to remember is that Giovanni Vizza is from a highly successful spread offense. He will need to adjust to the speed of the college game. That is where Meager has a huge advantage that he will use; Experience, being three years older and more mature, going through spring ball and being with Dodge. Feeling Giovanni's presence, Meager will feed off that and win some games? That is what my mind is telling me.

However, I have heard that the Freshman is already making his presence known and supposedly quite the competitor. Daniel will just rise to another level and ultimately make Dodge ball a hit.

Meager had two long passes and everyone wants to say he was head and shoulders above the competition. Woody Wilson makes plays, and throws the ball just as well as Meager...the knock on him is he doesn't have the best head and frequently let the play clock expire (he even managed to do it twice in the hurry up spring game). If Matt Phillips never throws another pass for UNT, I doubt that I'll shed a tear. Tune strikes me as a pure pocket guy, and that doesn't fit well in Dodge's system. Also those who feel that simply because Vizza is a freshman he couldn't possibly be more capable than any of the quarterbacks on our roster may be giving Phillips and company too much credit. Vizza is one of the best quarterback recruits we've landed and he's familiar with the system. If he proves to be the most capable following two a days, the job should be his...nothing better for a rebuilding/reloading project than to expose Vizza to D1 game speed than against the likes of Sooner and Roothog.

My support is behind Woody...but I also like the idea of using him in a Kordell Stewart like role.

The biggest thing is that we name a QB...and unless he's just absolutly horrible...he remains the starter for the entire season.

However, I have heard that the Freshman is already making his presence known and supposedly quite the competitor. Daniel will just rise to another level and ultimately make Dodge ball a hit.

Where do you keep getting this stuff from? Does Daniel work out for you in private and show you talent that we have yet to see? (They could be taken waaaaay wrong, and it wasn't intended that way)

Before we start talking about him taking it another level can we please see a consistently serviceable level first?

My support is behind Woody...but I also like the idea of using him in a Kordell Stewart like role.

Do you mean Randle El?

Either way, I agree with your assessment. Im not sure what anyone has seen out of Meager in the last couple years that makes them think he's going to magically turn awesome this year. Dodge is a QB guy... I feel good having him evaluating the QBs.

I'd love to have a guy like Wilson run the offense. His athleticism is a huge asset. That being said, my money's still on Vizza to be the starter.

Edited by Eagle1855