Predictions Vs Expectations: 2007 Season

shaft

The goal for the team is always the same; win your conference, win as many OOC games as you can.

In 2005 my expectation for the team was another bowl game.

In 2006 my expectation for the team was a winning record and a must win game against SMU.

In 2007 my expectations for the team are 6-6 and a must win game against SMU.

What are your realistic expectations for Dodge and the team next season?

I want the team to play with intensity and emotion.

I want the coaching staff to instill a winning attitude in the players.

I want the team and coaches to beleive that we can compete against OU and Arkansas not that "We are lucky to be on the same field".

I want the coaches to try to win games instead of trying to stay close and get lucky at the end.

I want TD to embrace the fans and community.

I am not concerned with the win/loss record next year. I just want some Kaizen

My expectations are simple:

- Expect a team that is trying to win instead of trying not to lose

- Expect an offense that isn't the worst in the SBC

(and continues to improve) ;)

- Expect an attitude that every game can be won

The rest will take care of itself over time...

The goal for the team is always the same; win your conference, win as many OOC games as you can.

In 2006 my expectation for the team was a winning record and a must win game against SMU.

If Dodge is as good as a coach as we think that he is we should be in the hunt for winning the Sunbelt. I must admit that I am a little anxious to find out who we sign that can be an instant impact player. Also have 1 friend who was a starter last year who is not sure if he will be back. Dont read into that comment that he was a DD supporter or that he is unhappy with the Dodge hire. Unrelated issues means that he may not be back.

OOC will be a struggle a win over SMU will be HUGE. My personal feeling is that the SMU team we played early in the season is not the same team that finished the season. With that being said I probably will not sleep for a solid week before that game. Not in worry, but rather looking forward to the "I told you so..." and "see last season was not a fluke" comments I will be able to share.

NT only lost 1 starter on defense, Pruitt; and four on offense, Quinn, Lineberry, Davidson, Foster. NT could have as many as 50 lettermen return. I think even with DD at the helm that NT would have been a better team. Problems are that the radical conversion of the offense could take a while to jell and the offensive personnel don't fit the new system. Wonder what TD is going to do with 5 pretty good TE's (Collins, Seidle, Brown, Ross, Gill) an offensive line contructed to, primarily run up the middle, and few experienced wide receivers.

I think NT should get a big emotional lift from the coaching change and I think TD will be much more successful developing the QB position than DD and crew ever could. My expections are that NT should certainly be in position to strongly contend for the Belt championship but OC could be difficult during the conversion process. My overall expections are that NT plays to win ever game and I hope I never hear that the objective is to play it close until the fourth quarter. Losses to Arkansas and Oklahoma are almost certainties, but I expect NT to be in every other game and win most of them.

I tend to think longer term in coaching situations, and I judge things over the long haul, not on any one particular season, much less a single game.

Conventional wisdom holds that you give a new coach a 4-5 year overall evaluation phase. That way, at the end of that time period, he has all his players and plenty of time to install, polish, and perfect his system. Now, during that time, I'd like to see some Kaizen, and any backsliding with no apparent cause would definitely send up a red flag. But I'm not going to bail unless the wheels are totally off.

My expectations relative to the next few seasons are as follows (assuming a 12 game season):

2007:

Best case - 9-3. I don't see a first year system transitioning from a power run offense to the spread with a new head coach fresh from the high school ranks going any better than 9 wins.

Expectation - 6-6. I think .500 is a reasonable expectation for a first year coach and a new offense.

Wheels are off at - 1-11. There's always FIU to keep the 0-fer at bay.

2008-

Best case - 11-1. With a year of the spread under their belts, coaches should really know who can play and who can't. This would also see the first full recruiting class for Dodge ball. If everything clicks, I think this could be a one-loss team and play in a real bowl.

Expectation – 7-5. I figure the second year should show a marked improvement, even if that doesn’t mean a stellar season.

Wheels are off at - 3-8. There could always be the sophomore slump, and players might suffer as coaches entrust them to make more and bigger plays.

2009-

Best case - 11-1. You always think there'll be a screw up somewhere along the way, but that's about it for the top end.

Expectation - 9-3. Third year, the excuses would be dwindling. If success is possible with this coach, we should start to really see it around now.

Wheels are off at - 5-7. By this point, a losing record is unacceptable.

2010-

Best case - 12-0. Four years means almost all players on the team will have been recruited. First recruiting classes should now be in a position of leadership, and this could be a defining season for the Mean Green.

Expectation - 10-2. For the same reasons as above, this should be a landmark year.

Wheels are off at - 6-6. Anything less than a conference championship (assuming SBC still) and a bowl berth now should be looked at as failure.

All of that said, I think situations can rapidly change. With better recruits and marquee wins, expectations will go up. Other situations, like B.O.R. grandstanding, academic ineligibility or (God forbid) a tragic loss of a key player, or even “good” things like players leaving early for the draft could cause expectations to go down. All of this is for right now, before even seeing a second of Dodge Ball in action.

There is no reason we shouldn't go 78-1 in his first 79 football games since he has done it already. anything less only proves he was just coaching at a school that already had the talent and just came into a successful program. Don't F up dodge! We have our eagle eyes on you! :blink: One of my eagle eyes is bigger!!!

I predict Todd Dodge will kill the first born of every women in Denton to make sure that the true heir to the coaching throne is never found. He will also buy gorditas for the wide receivers, but forget to get one for Zach Muzzy, who will get pissed and quit the team. Meanwhile, Dickey will buy a sailboat and name it the SS Dickey.

I think this is a great topic.....

My expectations for this year are that this team plays hard, with intensity and never gives up. I expect that this team will finish 5 - 7. My prediction would be that we finish at least 7 -5, but I don't much think that will happen as I believe there is a real chance that this team will finish with no more than 5 or 6 wins. I am afraid that we will see this year just how bad the last couple of recruiting years that DD had.

Sorry to change the subject here, but I have to wonder, had we kept Dickey, do you [shaft] honestly believe, given the results of the past 2 years, we would have posted even a 6-6 record in 2007?

I don't and I'm glad there is at least one other person out there that feels the same way.

Edited by UNTFan23

What about the expectations for fans?

I expect:

a renewed interest in mean green football

at least 20k average for each game

at least 10 more cars in the parking lot during tailgate

at least 4-5,000 at Gerald Ford Dump when we play the trust fund babies

Football-wise

5-7 to 6-6

at least 20 points game (please, how hard is it? we only average 11.5 or something last year)

coaches and players to actually have a passing interest in the game... and not to beat each other up

for our QB(s) to have at least 15-17 TDs

is that reasonable?????

What about the expectations for fans?

I expect:

a renewed interest in mean green football

at least 20k average for each game

at least 10 more cars in the parking lot during tailgate

at least 4-5,000 at Gerald Ford Dump when we play the trust fund babies

Football-wise

5-7 to 6-6

at least 20 points game (please, how hard is it? we only average 11.5 or something last year)

coaches and players to actually have a passing interest in the game... and not to beat each other up

for our QB(s) to have at least 15-17 TDs

is that reasonable?????

Perfect! except for the only 10 car improvement during the tailgating. I say at the VERY least a 25 car increase.

Perfect! except for the only 10 car improvement during the tailgating. I say at the VERY least a 25 car increase.

Well I now have a parking pass and a new SUV with power outlets all over the place. I'm going to buy tailgating gear and will be there every week under the green Texas flag. DIRECTV will be available at Flyer's Place.

I think a lot of our losses will come as a result of an inept offense, that is by no means Dodge's "fault". The adjustment will take time & we'll have two of our best WR's gone next year, plus a big ? at QB. I'd expect us to go 4-8 or 5-7 with a lot of 17-10 & 21-7 losses.

I may be an optimist but even with a new coach and a transition to the spread offense, I still can't see how it could be worse than the Dickey/Flanigan offense that we've seen the past two years.

Im not saying we're be 12-0, heck I be happy with anything better than 3-9.

I expect 10-2 with a trip to the Texas Bowl..

I also expect to find a man who really loves me for who I am!

This was not written by the BIG DAWG. RETSO hijacked my computer while I was playing in our anual NCAA 2007 College Football tournament.

I am predicting big things in the 2007 season however. 9-3