New Coach = New Uniforms?

mdmeangreen

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to keep this thread going, but......

HelmetBlockNTexas.jpgHelmetViginiaTechNTexas.jpgwhitenthelmet.jpg

OK, 'Nation, look at the "N T" on the white helmet and keep looking, studying and observing it and let it grow on you. :unsure: NOTE: Might tweak it a bit and you might put a little more distance between the N and T but thats just my .02 on that :) .

Phil aka Deep Green, I think the white helmet with the Va Tech version of "N T" is simply superkalafragilisticexpialadocious and would look fantastic with kelly green jerseys mixed in with a lot of black/green/white trimming on the pants and with the stripe on the helmet being kelly green trimmed in black. Who can design such a uniform for public consumption on GMG.com? :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

OK, 'Nation, look at the "N T" on the white helmet and keep looking, studying and observing it and let it grow on you. :unsure: NOTE: Might tweak it a bit and you might put a little more distance between the N and T but thats just my .02 on that :) .

Phil aka Deep Green, I think the white helmet with the Va Tech version of "N T" is simply superkalafragilisticexpialadocious and would look fantastic with kelly green jerseys mixed in with a lot of black/green/white trimming on the pants and with the stripe on the helmet being kelly green trimmed in black. Who can design such a uniform for public consumption on GMG.com? :rolleyes:

NOOOOOOOO!!! White is evil!

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

I have been around North Texas graduates since I was in Jr. High. Through all of my contacts, (and this includes people who graduated recently, and people who attended and graduated back in the 40's) every one of them refers to their alma mater in the same way.......NORTH TEXAS. There is no other major college with our name, and so NT should be on our helmets.

My son (4 years old) looked at my 1967 North Texas mini helmet and

asked what does T N stand for dad?

Obviously you have not taught your child well. (Kidding of course!)

NTHelmet2.jpg

Hell Yeah!! That is a killer look.

What about a black mask & White "NT" with black trim?

BUT, I can't help but think those who are not in the know would ask "What does TN stand for?" :o

How about a side helmet with the USPS Mean Green eagle head or the Son of Worm. Try both in white with black trim.

Edited by Got5onIt

Just for my two cents the White Helment with the NT is great looking with the right uni combination it could be awsome.

Agree, 'GreenN'walinsVet', with the right unis' combinatin the white helmet could be execptional.

Not wanting to over-dramatize all this, but with UNT wearing a white helmet this is just a few things that took place in the past:

(1) While wearing white helmets, UNT had a team with so many NFL draft choices (several of which were NFL #1's) some of us who can't count very high lost count of just how many draft choices the Mean Green did have during the Mean Joe Greene era.

(2) While wearing white helmets, UNT had a team that all but beat the same Frank Broyles-coached Razorbacks who would play DKR's Texas Longhorns in the "Game of the Century" and the NCAA National Championship the following season; I said the, uh................... "National Championship", folks. :blink:

(3) Although our Mean Green team were wearing white helmets, UNT had a player on that same team mentioned in all of the above who would inspire the name, uh, "Mean Green." :rolleyes:

Is now the time and especially with the Dodge Ball era on the way that we give the solid green helmets a much needed rest? :o Has wearing solid green helmets made us all that successful the last 25 years that we are so eternally married to solid green helmts (with whatever logo/letters they put on it and during whoever's regime)? :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I would have no problem with a white helmet and green stripe(s) down the middle, green face masks, and with the right logo. The current North Texas logo is pathetic, almost like an afterthought. "Oh, we have new wordmarks, guess we have to put them on the football helmets."

Also, if we go back to white, let it be a pearly white or metallic, high gloss white.

I would have no problem with a white helmet and green stripe(s) down the middle, green face masks, and with the right logo. The current North Texas logo is pathetic, almost like an afterthought. "Oh, we have new wordmarks, guess we have to put them on the football helmets."

Also, if we go back to white, let it be a pearly white or metallic, high gloss white.

I like your statement you put in quotes, DG, because that is exactly how many of us felt. In fact, I thought they might have come out of a clip art book to be honest. :rolleyes:

Pearly white with that VaTech-stylized "N T" you've come up with would be very nice IMO. And no, I don't think VaTech has a corner on the market with such letters, either. We'd be the only school in the Southwest with anything similar.

I also think our entire unis' (including a possible white helmet) would still have about 85-90% green and that's still a whole bunch of green. The kelly green will also stand out more than any green we've had since Fry's apple green (which really stood out)! :blink:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm so proud of this thread. It is 166 posts strong with 4000+ views.

Way to keep a North Texas tradition going strong by throwing in your differing views on our uniforms. :thumbsup:

Not to throw in a wrench in this well-oiled machine ... but how many think that the athletic department will actually consult the fans on what the uniforms look like? Even if they did, do you think there would be any concensus on what that ensemble should be, given the many, MANY suggestions thrown around?

Now, keep up the good work--I'm sure there are plenty more suggestions that some of you are holding back on us. I see no reason for this to thread to reach 200 posts and 6000+ views.

/sarcasm

Not to throw in a wrench in this well-oiled machine ... but how many think that the athletic department will actually consult the fans on what the uniforms look like? Even if they did, do you think there would be any concensus on what that ensemble should be, given the many, MANY suggestions thrown around?

I think they listen, but I think the whole branding program is going to take precedent. They're going to use the kelly green, not the darker green, and they're going to use the new logo and fonts. I think that leaves out the interlocked NT and the Virginia Tech-style NT.

If you want to build tradition, you have to settle on a logo, font, and color scheme and stick with it. I expect the uniform and helmet to be some combination of those spirit marks.

Frankly, the only tradition I care about is winning.

Way to keep a North Texas tradition going strong by throwing in your differing views on our uniforms. :thumbsup:

Now, keep up the good work--I'm sure there are plenty more suggestions that some of you are holding back on us. I see no reason for this to thread to reach 200 posts and 6000+ views.

/sarcasm

REVISED ON CHRISTMAS DAY.......................w/more sarcasm... :rolleyes:

For certain we probably won't change a darn thing as far as our new Dodge Ball era unis', the color of our helmets or what logo or letters would be on those new Dodge Ball era helmets, but this thread sure as hell beats some from over 2 mos. ago when quite a few posters were trying to extol the virtues of a UNT HFC who had a 42W's and 62L's career at UNT with a program that even college football novices could figure out was not going anywhere but south. While at the same time trying to make some posters who actually had the audacity to think we could do better at UNT with a high profile hire (because they had seen better in the past with another high profile hire) sound like a bunch of pipe dreamers.

end of sarcasm...

Now about those white helmets with the VaTech looking letters... :rolleyes: Except for one thing, they are not the VaTech letters, they are the "N T" letters. How many of you would have even know they would be similar to VaTech had it not been mentioned on this board?:)

As another alum said today, we would no more be copying VaTech than some of our "N T" letters directly on top of each would be copying other schools who've done the same in the past or even pro teams (Minnesota Twins) who have put letters on top of other letters. BUT...........what we do use if we use letters at all should not create any semblance of confusion to anyone as to what they mean. Letters on a helmet should not be creating questions from non-North Texans as to what they stand for.

PS: Actually as I presently watch the Southlake Carroll/Austin Westlake 5A state championship game the Dragon's white helmets with the green/black unis' just don't look bad at all. :) And it would be apparent to most television viewers that green would also be the predominant color of Southlake Carroll HS, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Way to keep a North Texas tr adition going strong by throwing in your differing views on our uniforms. :thumbsup:

/sarcasm

The athletic dept's. final say is what's scary. In an attempt to come up with a final uni. design, we will not be the ones they turn to. We COULD end up with a design that would scare the hell out of all of us(OREGON).