New Coach = New Uniforms?

mdmeangreen

Yeah, funny that the refs cheated and were one was paid Oregon staff...

Otherwise - its an official win!  But everyone really knows OU  won that game...

Now you know what it is like to be a non-BCS playing in a BCS stadium. Or prior to the BCS, when NT would play the likes of UT with SWC refs. Check the film of the 1988 game for reference. Fortunately for OU, it was only one call. Now go back to Norman and cry in your $80 million athletic budget.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st of all I cannot wait until our Football team is soo good that we dont care what the uniforms look like. Lets face it Bama, Penn St, Ohio St...etc.. these uniforms are not cool but the teams win so we say that they are cool. Michigan - that is a cool helmet. Notre Dame, really is that a cool uniform? No. But who cares... They tend to win.

The reality is that we need something that says who we are. That is the only reason that I like our helmet (for now). And if you want to feel good about our font then just look at So Miss, or Tulsa or UCLA.

You know what will be great???? When we are soo good that people turn the TV on and see Green and Hear Mean Green and Watch. And regardless of the uniform they watch because they know who we are and that they are going see some good football.

1st of all I cannot wait until our Football team is soo good that we dont care what the uniforms look like.  Lets face it Bama, Penn St, Ohio St...etc.. these uniforms are not cool but the teams win so we say that they are cool.  Michigan - that is a cool helmet.  Notre Dame, really is that a cool uniform? No.  But who cares... They tend to win. 

The reality is that we need something that says who we are.  That is the only reason that I like our helmet (for now).  And if you want to feel good about our font then just look at So Miss, or Tulsa or UCLA.

You know what will be great????  When we are soo good that people turn the TV on and see Green and Hear Mean Green and Watch.  And regardless of the uniform they watch because they know who we are and that they are going see some good football.

I'm for you on that! I liked the eagle logo and I do respect your team. I liked Dickey and sad to see he was fired. I just hate it when people change uniforms to mix things up. I mean, how can you be buying up new gear all the time?

As far as whining about the loss. I was there, most of the duck fans were stunned that the calls (there were 2) were not overturned. Then the debacle about the replay booth started trickling out...The fact that we lost to a ref call (if it was on the field) wouldn't be so bad, but several field refs knew the correct call was not made and did nothing to question the replay booth call "as it was supposed to be the true call". Karma is good (just like a Flying Tomato Pizza - mmm), it eventually evens out. Hence OU in the Fiesta and oregon in the whatever Las Vegas Bowl...

Look forward to a good game next year, and I HATE those spread offenses. Dodge was one of the few recent UT quarterbacks that beat OU...

Edited by BigOUFan

It was a world class screw job, but last year's NBA Finals really showed me the importance of letting stuff go no matter how ridiculous it is. I applaud OU's players for not letting an early gut punch give them an easy way to bail on this year and wait to make a run next year.

If I was a Sooner fan I'd take pride in that and not dwell on an incident that everyone knows was a horrible travesty - which it sounds like you are now doing (it just didn't come across that way at first.)

Now get your buddies to drive faster on I-35 and we can be friends. tongue.gif

Edited by Quoner

That would be the kelly green that folks keep describing. I agree that the helmets/jerseys should match the school color. I think a kelly green with metallic flecks would look just fine for a helmet. But now that you mention it, every team that I can think of that wears kelly green wears a white helmet. blink.gif

Who knows. I'm NOT a fan of three colors between the pants, jerseys, and helmet.

That would be the kelly green that folks keep describing.  I agree that the helmets/jerseys should match the school color.  I think a kelly green with metallic flecks would look just fine for a helmet.  But now that you mention it, every team that I can think of that wears kelly green wears a white helmet.  blink.gif

Who knows.  I'm NOT a fan of three colors between the pants, jerseys, and helmet.

I like the kelly green and black which is helluva' lot better looking than a purple and black combo; you know, like the FW Paschall HS football team wears? rolleyes.gif

As said before, the kelly green will show up better in the stands when the TV cameras pan our huge crowds. I hope Todd Dodge will talk Rick V into unis' similar to the above photo in GreenTiger's post (with variations, of course). smile.gif

And the white helmet just really look better, too, and will show off whatever font we (hopefully) change over to on a "new look" helmet in our new era of Mean Green football.

Many of us will never forget watching Fry's first team come out for the first time in that apple green (which amazingly enough was a very popular color fashion-wise back then) but using it for football unis' was a bit of a stretch for most even back then.

Sorry for the quick "cartoonish" mock ups...there is a good image of the new eagle on a helmet floating around here somewhere. I would take either of these over what we currently have.

I think the wings of the son of worm logo could curl around the back and almost meet at a point with the wings from the other side.

user posted image

user posted image

I might try a white helmet variation...but I just think we'd look too much like SLC or Marshall.

I vote we keep what we currently have.  Why reinvent the wheel?

I am not really advocating any of the proposed submissions by saying this. But many times people wonder why we always try to "reinvent the wheel" with our logo, uniform, etc. It is because everytime we have an opportunity to create something great - we blow it. The helmets DO look bad, For some reason there is a black outline around the logo, making it VERY hard to read at a distance. another oddity is the word "Texas" is shifted over to the right on the helmet compared to the other logos in the typestyle. Wonder why.........seriously, I don't know.

Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel? Because everytime we are asked to do so it comes out square and we try to pass it off as round for a few years. Then we go back to the drawing board and come up with a triangle.........and the cycle continues.

I totally agreed before. We change every few years. I've got three different "mini-helmets". I sort of like the dark almost pearl look of the Phil. eagles helmets(but i hate THOSE eagles), but some convincing cases have been made for us to go with the school logo. It would seem odd to run out on the field, where you see all the light green logos, dressed in dark green(it would be like TBBuccaneers sticking with the old look while their stadium and fons are dressed in the new colors).

The Eagle with the wing tips touching is GREAT. But with k green jersies and helmets, it could be too much of that color.

At least were not trying to figure out how to make that white tree rat look good.

UNTFan23, to many (and I know on this forum not everyone) smile.gif but that "wheel" you speak of reminds many of the last 2 years (and particularly the last 3 weeks of this last season) coupled with 9 years of 42W's and 62L's (or something close to those numbers). sad.gif

I would hope we would not strap the new Todd Dodge Era at the University of North Texas with the old look of all those years. I just cannot see that happening even at UNT. I believe Todd Dodge will have some input with all this as many D1-A HFC's want their team to dress out well (so to speak).

For certain there is something to say about continuity, but only when it represents something positive and the last 2 years were not positive to many; but what the heck, "new look" Mean Green gear with our official colors of kelly green will mean more Collegiate Licensing commissions for UNT and I'm sure we could use the extra bucks.

Who has been designing our most recent unis' anyway? sad.gif I know we wouldn't dare use anyone from UNT's highly reputable and nationally respected school of fashion and design to make color/design suggestions now would we? rolleyes.gif

Someone posted a Seahawks picture so I played aroung with it?  What do you think?

Good Job.

That's what I was talking about. Our eagle head should touch at the back of the helmet like the Seahawk's helmet does.

Now, the green your using needs a little more green and a little less puke.

tongue.gif

Edited by Got5onIt