QB Thread (merged)

OldTimer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I am going to say is there was far more to what is going on than simple yards and completions. If a QB isn't going to make the right reads and checkdowns, you don't want him in the game. The wrong decision is going to result in a bad play at best, and someone getting hurt at worst.

Dickey gave both Wilson and Phillips a shot at running a two minute offense at the end of practice yesterday. Phillps drove down to the 10 yard line before he was unable to get a timeout off in time. Wilson struggled, and didn't get even within field goal range.

The rationale here is that if you can give Phillips some protection, he is the guy on the team most suited to making plays downfield and opening it up for Jamario. That said, Wilson will likely get his chance tomorrow, and, if he makes better reads, we'll be seeing more of him.

Now that we know which one of OUR guys are going to be starting, let's do our best to support him instead of throwing him and Coach Dickey under the bus.

Let's talk again after the game.

You are kidding me right?  All he has is a deep ball and that is only if he is on that day.  He is inconsistant at best.

Nope... at BEST he can throw for 240 yards and 3 touchdowns. That is why he's starting.

If he can be sure to make the right reads and checkdowns, the whole offense is better. That, more than even throwing the ball, is the most important thing the QB does at North Texas. All I've heard for the last year is how we need to put Phillips in because he CAN throw the deep ball. Let's give him a chance to do that against similar competition.

Wilson finished with 65 passing yards, completed 5 of 6 attempts and led the Mean Green on a nine-play, 80-yard touchdown drive for their only points of the day.

Phillips threw for 22 yards and completed just 4 of 13 attempts.

Wilson led seven of UNT’s 13 drives against Texas that resulted in 92 yards of total offense and five first downs. Phillips was in the game for six series that accumulated three yards and one first down.

No reason to change???

Someone help me out here, because maybe my math and analyzation skills stink...but isn't "5 for 6, 65 yards, 80-yard TD drive" better than 22 yards, and just 4 of 13 attempts completed (and no TDs)!?!??!? mad.gif

Seriously, I may not be an expert...but something just is not right here! ph34r.gif

Dickey gave both Wilson and Phillips a shot at running a two minute offense at the end of practice yesterday.  Phillps drove down to the 10 yard line before he was unable to get a timeout off in time.  Wilson struggled, and didn't get even within field goal range.

The rationale here is that if you can give Phillips some protection, he is the guy on the team most suited to making plays downfield and opening it up for Jamario. 

That's great...but:

1. How did MP peform during ACTUAL GAME CONDITIONS, not practice

2. Our OL has been struggling, so if that is the condition for MP to perform well, then...

Hope I am wrong here...yes, let's talk after the game...

All I am going to say is there was far more to what is going on than simple yards and completions.  If a QB isn't going to make the right reads and checkdowns, you don't want him in the game.  The wrong decision is going to result in a bad play at best, and someone getting hurt at worst.

Dickey gave both Wilson and Phillips a shot at running a two minute offense at the end of practice yesterday.  Phillps drove down to the 10 yard line before he was unable to get a timeout off in time.  Wilson struggled, and didn't get even within field goal range.

The rationale here is that if you can give Phillips some protection, he is the guy on the team most suited to making plays downfield and opening it up for Jamario.  That said, Wilson will likely get his chance tomorrow, and, if he makes better reads, we'll be seeing more of him.

Now that we know which one of OUR guys are going to be starting, let's do our best to support him instead of throwing him and Coach Dickey under the bus.

Here's my question. Were they both running the first team offense?

All I am going to say is there was far more to what is going on than simple yards and completions.  If a QB isn't going to make the right reads and checkdowns, you don't want him in the game.  The wrong decision is going to result in a bad play at best, and someone getting hurt at worst.

The rationale here is that if you can give Phillips some protection, he is the guy on the team most suited to making plays downfield and opening it up for Jamario.  That said, Wilson will likely get his chance tomorrow, and, if he makes better reads, we'll be seeing more of him.

So basically b/c Woody did not follow DD/RF's instructions and improvised and scored a TD, he gets benched while MP stays in the pocket to long and takes sacks, makes less than 33% of his passes and that is the reason he gets another start. Must be the same logic that kept Meager in the starting role for 12 games last when the offense was very offense to watch.

Great news. dry.gif

That is why we will never win an OOC game and only win SunBelt games b/c of attitudes like that. Phillips did not step up against UT and Woody did, pure and simple.

A lot of that touchdown drive (and you don't have to take my word for it, this is coming directly from the coaches) was getting lucky: many of the plays that were made were done so in spite of bad decisions. You can't just look at yards and completions when you are judging a quarterback. So much of what the quarterback does is not visible on the stat column, and that is probably why we, as fans, have such a tough time understanding some of the coaching decisions.

In many ways, that's why Scott Hall was so big for the program. He knew the right play to call at the line, and that was worth more than a ton of yards and completions. Just look at the trophy case full of conference championships.

I am a huge Darrell Dickey supporter, you guys know that. But jeesh?, it's hard to ignore an 80 yard scoring drive against the National Champions? I dont know what coach Dickey is looking for in a QB, but I would think Woody has already seperated himself from the others. UNLESS... he is injured or other issues are there. DD knows things we dont, so I'm trusting that he knows what he is doing.

If we get beat by SMU while running this QB carousel crap, I will have a huge problem with the ole ball coach. DD wants this game bad... I can promise you guys that. There has to be something here. Let's see what MP gives us before we panic. I watched the SMU-TTech game. Phillips has a strong arm and the SMU secondary is horrid. DD has to be thinking about that.

God I hope that's it...if not, WTF??????????

GMG!!! blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

Andrew had a trophy (actually two with the bowl) and he was in the dog house the next season anyway. So if it's not yards, not completions, and apparently not wins and losses, what is it? Calling the right play? RF calls the plays, and I thought I remembered it coming up a few years ago (Hall's 5th year) that the most our QBs can do at the line is flip the play. Maybe I remember wrong.

**I don't have that big of a problem with the playcalling, I don't have a problem with not having audibles at the line, I know that the coaches spend hours upon hours every day with this and someone who just watches a game can't see the whole picture, and I know that a coach is not likely to make a decision that he knows is not the best, because it's him that's on the line...I'm just trying to sort this out.

I prefer to have Woody play qb and improvise his way to points then trust our O-Line to give Phillips the time he needs to do what he does best. If we must have rotating qb's, then make them Wilson and Meager. This way the defense will have to account for the qb running, whereas a Phillips play is either a hand off or a pass.

El Guapo thinks he has a solution to this problem.

When ever El Guapo is faced with deciding between several promising young bandits, he sends them off to raid seperate border towns. El Guapo expects these bandits to return with bags of money, and possibly, a new sweater for me.

For those who succeed, El Guapo lavishes them with engraved pistols, beautiful women,and tequila. El Guapo shoots the ones who fail.

El Guapo has never had a "quarterback controversy".

El Guapo knows who would have been lavished after the UT game.

Edited by ElGuapo

So basically b/c Woody did not follow DD/RF's instructions and improvised and scored a TD, he gets benched while MP stays in the pocket to long and takes sacks, makes less than 33% of his passes and that is the reason he gets another start.

No, no, no. I know this is going to take a while to change this culture of thinking, but it has nothing to do with Woody (or any of the QBs) not following DD/RF instructions. It has to do with how they can read the defense at the line, check into the correct play, and make the right read once the play has started.

And THAT has nothing to do with completions, yards, or even touchdowns, but all of those things will come often and regularly if one of our guys learns to read and checkdown.

Yes, WW scored a touchdown, and it was a great throw. But the coaches want more than a lucky touchdown. They want a guy who can consistently do the right thing and lead the team, because then you can put up points, and lots of them, against ANY team in the country.

Neither guy has meaningfully seperated for a long period of time... thus the "no change in rotation" comment.