Texas Tech season tickets sold out this year

• cousin oliver changed the title to Texas Tech season tickets sold out this year

I'll be at the game but I have Tech season tickets through my father-in-law.  I'll be the lone one on the home side in green.  Plus the game is the day after I get back from Alaska so I'll be ready for some heat to thaw out if it's a day game.

• Upvote 3

This is what happens when you put effort into the program.  I live in Tech country.  I am worn out hearing from Joey McGuire, Kirby Hocutt and the Red Raider Club on the radio and television.  They even have their spring game in Midland where many wealthy boosters live.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, GreenTroubadour said:

I'll be at the game but I have Tech season tickets through my father-in-law.  I'll be the lone one on the home side in green.  Plus the game is the day after I get back from Alaska so I'll be ready for some heat to thaw out if it's a day game.

Thaw from Alaska in August?  Go check the temps.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This is what happens when you put effort into the program.  I live in Tech country.  I am worn out hearing from Joey McGuire, Kirby Hocutt and the Red Raider Club on the radio and television.  They even have their spring game in Midland where many wealthy boosters live.

To be fair they are the only game in town 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

To be fair they are the only game in town 

Don't care.  They sell their program to their alumni, students and people in the region

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't care.  They sell their program to their alumni, students and people in the region

They do have a lot of advantages in that an entire region of the state is theirs. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Dog shit excuse. It has nothing to do with anything. It's one of the same several excuses used in an attempt to put a curtain up and around the real problems. 

You're correct in that this really has nothing to do with us, as our town, our alumni, our students, and our faculty/administration don't give a crap about our teams in any decent percentage. 

But Tech does have a lot of advantages of having an entire region of a very wealthy state that has lots of oil money out west. And the biggest advantage to all of that might just be that West Texans like sports, particularly Tech sports. And they have legit school spirit amongst the folks that I listed above that either loathe our teams' existence or just flat out don't care.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You're correct in that this really has nothing to do with us, as our town, our alumni, our students, and our faculty/administration don't give a crap about our teams in any decent percentage. 

But Tech does have a lot of advantages of having an entire region of a very wealthy state that has lots of oil money out west. And the biggest advantage to all of that might just be that West Texans like sports, particularly Tech sports. And they have legit school spirit amongst the folks that I listed above that either loathe our teams' existence or just flat out don't care.

Their isolation is definitely beneficial to them. But as to our lowly attendance figures, it has nothing to do with the cowboys during our football season and the mavs during our basketball season. If anything that should be beneficial to us. Do whatever it takes to get named players in front of our players, students, and alum. Partner with them like we did with Frisco, etc. But a Sunday afternoon Cowboy game has very little/nothing to do with our 14k in attendance on Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Their isolation is definitely beneficial to them. But as to our lowly attendance figures, it has nothing to do with the cowboys during our football season and the mavs during our basketball season. If anything that should be beneficial to us. Do whatever it takes to get named players in front of our players, students, and alum. Partner with them like we did with Frisco, etc. But a Sunday afternoon Cowboy game has very little/nothing to do with our 14k in attendance on Saturday. 

I've said forever that the Cowboys aren't keeping someone from going to a North Texas game. Now, I do believe that Texas, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, and Arky are reasons people won't go to our games, but that has so much more to do with the fact that we nuked our fanbase with the 1-aa debacle, which gave those schools tons of t-shirt fans with UNT credit hours and diplomas, as well as the fact that those schools play people that fans want to watch. 

But I blame the fact that the university's history is to have a football team, but making it cool to not support it. That mindset has prevailed in every facet of the UNT Family and community.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I've said forever that the Cowboys aren't keeping someone from going to a North Texas game. Now, I do believe that Texas, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, and Arky are reasons people won't go to our games, but that has so much more to do with the fact that we nuked our fanbase with the 1-aa debacle, which gave those schools tons of t-shirt fans with UNT credit hours and diplomas, as well as the fact that those schools play people that fans want to watch. 

But I blame the fact that the university's history is to have a football team, but making it cool to not support it. That mindset has prevailed in every facet of the UNT Family and community.

Yeah... we need that protest photo reposted. THAT is the reason our athletic support sucks. When only 10% of your student body cares about sports to begin with you're set up to fail. Then when you give that 10% no reason to care about UNT sports you're destined to fail. 

Here we are, right in between suckitude and failure with very minimal room for error. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah... we need that protest photo reposted. THAT is the reason our athletic support sucks. When only 10% of your student body cares about sports to begin with you're set up to fail. Then when you give that 10% no reason to care about UNT sports you're destined to fail. 

Here we are, right in between suckitude and failure with very minimal room for error. 

Lack of fan support really goes deeper than the current makeup of the student body.   Part of it is not ever having a Medical school, Law school, or Engineering school on the Denton campus.  Grads of those majors earn huge salaries, much more than Education or Arts majors.  Thus they are more likely to give back more to Athletics.   But back to your point, yes, the purple-hairs and protestors are probably not hard core Mean Green sports fans.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

All boils down to effort.  How many recent grads are contacted about giving back?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ADLER said:

Cleaning that bell should be profiled on the show Horrible Jobs.

He's "cleaning" something.  Briskly, it appears.  But I don't think it's the bell.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1