Best BBQ in each Texas college football town

• Big Z changed the title to Best BBQ in each Texas college football town
53 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

I stand by Metzler's in Denton. Great food, reasonably priced and long time supporters of UNT.

That's my pick as well, and I do love 407 BBQ. 

• Upvote 2

I usually have more respect for Texas Monthly's BBQ rankings, as I am a huge BBQ fan, but some of these locations are quite a ways from their schools.  I have not heard of Interstellar, and was in Austin last weekend (went to Franklin's).   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I usually have more respect for Texas Monthly's BBQ rankings, as I am a huge BBQ fan, but some of these locations are quite a ways from their schools.  I have not heard of Interstellar, and was in Austin last weekend (went to Franklin's).   

Interstellar got paid more NIL so they have to be ranked higher...right?

• Haha 3

There's not any good BBQ in Denton proper. I will die on that hill.

Before anyone gets defensive, I own an offset smoker and am friends with a UNT Alum that has a Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ spot in East Texas.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, untphd said:

I miss Steve's BBQ. That was the first place I ever had BBQ. He said we could bring in a keg as long as we shared it with him.

Same! That man would hook you up on your BBQ plate if you shared your BYOB stash with him. Good times!

Current day: 407 gets the top spot.

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2024 at 7:12 PM, Cr1028 said:

According to whom? I’ve worked for in Austin and lived in the greater Austin area for over 15 years and I have never heard of Interstellar BBQ.

I think Texas Monthly ranked them #2 in Texas last year. You should definitely go try it. It's definitely in my Top 5 I've ever had. They're still pretty new in the BBQ world. I want to say they only opened the storefront in 2019, but I could be wrong.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Texas Monthly did not put this together. Whoever runs the TXFB twitter handle just grabbed the BBQ spot closest to each school that was ranked in Texas Monthly's top 50. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

There's not any good BBQ in Denton proper. I will die on that hill.

Before anyone gets defensive, I own an offset smoker and am friends with a UNT Alum that has a Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ spot in East Texas.

I agree with you. Metzler's isn't great. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2