Noland To The Portal

14 hours ago, BleedingGreen said:

I think a statement or interview of Moseley or Hodge is needed.  

My Mean Green Koolaid tells me that Hodge let these guys walk without a fight, that he has bigger plans and last season's roster was not ideal for him and his Mean Green vision.

I honestly don't want to hear him say that publicly, though.  It would be bad press.  What I need, though, is for him to prove it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Guess I am showing my age, but if I were the coach, once you decide to enter the portal you are done here.  Another poster messaged me with the same feeling.  Zero commitment today.  All about what I can get for me, period.

If you were the coach you would be looking to move too when a better opportunity arose. Everybody in the NCAA is looking out for number one.

As a coach I would love to see players who entered the portal decide to stay. It would be one less hole I had to fill next season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

48 minutes ago, greenminer said:

My Mean Green Koolaid tells me that Hodge let these guys walk without a fight, that he has bigger plans and last season's roster was not ideal for him and his Mean Green vision.

I honestly don't want to hear him say that publicly, though.  It would be bad press.  What I need, though, is for him to prove it.

I'm actually in the camp now that we're gonna see a few of these players back next season. it's only good business to test the portal waters and possibly leverage Hodge/UNT for as good a deal as possible. 

calling it now...Noland and Jones will be back next season. Scott maybe not...he has NBA metrics and upside and a year at a P5 could enhance his overall pro stock. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, rcade said:

If you were the coach you would be looking to move too when a better opportunity arose. Everybody in the NCAA is looking out for number one.

"Coaches are gonna jump at the chance, too" is the number one response I read/hear when talking about student-athletes' lack of commitment.

I don't see anyone going "damn, you're right.  everything is financially equal now."  It's like you keep throwing this hammer down, and you're hitting the wrong nail.

Why is it not convincing anyone?  Do people not want this to be about equal financial opportunity?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm actually in the camp now that we're gonna see a few of these players back next season. it's only good business to test the portal waters and possibly leverage Hodge/UNT for as good a deal as possible. 

calling it now...Noland and Jones will be back next season. Scott maybe not...he has NBA metrics and upside and a year at a P5 could enhance his overall pro stock. 

I'm here too.   Aside from Scott, I think struggling high-majors will be blinded by Edwards' PPG, and he'll get a deal somewhere as well... but he might have the same disappointing outcome as Reese & Drez.    

As for Rubin, CJ, & Buggs, I just think there are SO MANY other players out there for these high-majors to choose from... I don't know that they're going to get what they're looking for (something like Georgia Tech or some other ACC/SEC bottom-dweller offering a little more money, but not a promise of PT), and it may be best to return to a winning NT for a little less $, but a chance to do something big, but who knows?

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That only shows the Light The Tower collective.

There are others... including the one Harry has on this very site!

How much is it though? And are we at least competing with our conference peers? Those are the questions I'd like answers to. I find the turnover pretty concerning. The only other program I can think of that's going through the same thing we are that didn't lose their coach is ECU. They've lost 8 players.

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

How much is it though? And are we at least competing with our conference peers? Those are the questions I'd like answers to. I find the turnover pretty concerning. The only other program I can think of that's going through the same thing we are that didn't lose their coach is ECU. They've lost 8 players.

Every team is facing turnover.  This is not anything new.  It’s the system.  Also we don’t have that one star player like last season with Tylor.  

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Why is it not convincing anyone?  Do people not want this to be about equal financial opportunity?

I am fine with players making money and playing where they want to play, but I have to admit the current Wild West era of the NIL and transfer portals is making the product less enjoyable. I miss having a good chance of following an athlete for their entire college career. It would be nice to have some incentives for players to stay put.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There are others... including the one Harry has on this very site!

I thought the one on this site was simply collecting the money and forwarding it to the LTT Collective.  Am I wrong?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

so settle for what you have and not look to better yourself/family situation?

must be a really positive work environment. 

Never said that, but I can understand, coming from you, how you took it that way.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 4/8/2024 at 4:02 PM, Cooley said:

If SMU offered you $200,000 per year to come post on their fan board (Poneyfans.com) versus GoMeanGreen.com would you? What if LSU or someone else tops that by $50k the following year? In the business world, have you ever been offered substantially more to leave your employer? Or did you stay "loyal" to your company that may have hired you right out of college? It's unfortunate but these are the questions the kids have to make today. Playing and/or starting seems to be secondary. I think I would go get that paycheck my final year of eligibility.   

Coaches do this all the time..... 

Whatever situation helps my family the most (and myself) is what I'm doing 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 4/9/2024 at 10:34 AM, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm actually in the camp now that we're gonna see a few of these players back next season. it's only good business to test the portal waters and possibly leverage Hodge/UNT for as good a deal as possible

Maybe it helps Hodge's relationship with these guys too. Like "he looks out for me the person" 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

23 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Maybe it helps Hodge's relationship with these guys too. Like "he looks out for me the person" 

Seriously?  That would be poor for Hodge's own career.

It would be like Bill Belichick to Tom Brady:  "Maybe go test the waters at Tampa Bay?".  lol

How could that possibly hurt Bill Belichick?

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Seriously?  That would be poor for Hodge's own career.

It would be like Bill Belichick to Tom Brady:  "Maybe go test the waters at Tampa Bay?".  lol

How could that possibly hurt Bill Belichick?

There's no salary cap structure out here in the Wild Wild West of NIL.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2024 at 6:56 PM, NT80 said:

Defections (transfers) are happening to all programs.  It's not a UNT or Coach Hodge problem.  It's an NCAA problem.   It is too easy now to transfer constantly and play.  There needs to be a contract structure, but now the courts are saying players can't be restricted?

Report: NCAA could OK new transfer eligibility rule at next meeting

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39903354/

Someone hit on this a few days ago... 

How are we and programs like us supposed to ever hold a coach accountable ever again? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Someone hit on this a few days ago... 

How are we and programs like us supposed to ever hold a coach accountable ever again? 

We can hold them accountable based on how their peers at the same level of the sport are doing. Almost everybody is facing the same problem of the here-today gone-tomorrow roster.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rcade said:

We can hold them accountable based on how their peers at the same level of the sport are doing. Almost everybody is facing the same problem of the here-today gone-tomorrow roster.

But it's now about brand recognition and money more than anything else. Do our peers have a better brand and more money? And players can get lured to that brand and money because the free flow of scholarships, money, and transfer capability. A coach choosing a job now, more than ever, just became much more about the resources and name of the school and the weight of their brand. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

But it's now about brand recognition and money more than anything else. Do our peers have a better brand and more money? And players can get lured to that brand and money because the free flow of scholarships, money, and transfer capability. A coach choosing a job now, more than ever, just became much more about the resources and name of the school and the weight of their brand. 

I don't see anybody in the AAC with brand recognition far above the rest, aside from Navy but they are a special case.

Before the NIL UNT was doing well in our conferences in terms of financial and facility support. Whether that's true with our collectives is an open question.

• Upvote 2

If Hodge is giving these players his blessing to go, then the pressure is on him to replace them with as good or better players.  There is zero loyalty to the school and I won't have much loyalty to these players.  As @Marty stated in another thread, cheer for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.  The bad part I foresee is that people are going to get tired of giving to a NIL Collective when these players come and go on an annual basis.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, rcade said:

I don't see anybody in the AAC with brand recognition far above the rest, aside from Navy but they are a special case.

Before the NIL UNT was doing well in our conferences in terms of financial and facility support. Whether that's true with our collectives is an open question.

You don’t think Memphis basketball has a much better brand that the rest of the conference?

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1