Report: TE Coach Chris Gilbert headed back to UT

If true, good for him.  He isn't the only person with ties to south Dallas, did he really create a "pipeline" and was he a great TE Coach?  I liked the hire when he came on board, but I don't think he is irreplaceable.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 2

Huge blow to us as far as recruiting goes.  His presence on staff was much more impactful than Coach O's, IMO. 

With this move, I highly doubt we see Tre Bradford here next season.

As for Coach Gilbert, he's certainly doing what's best for him & his family.    "Coaching" TE's in this offense is a joke... as there are none.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Big loss.  He was our conduit to South Dallas.  UNT football is always bumming me out it seems like these days.

Just par for the course on the football side. Come on over to basketball! Much more exciting team and play. Team and coaches that just get it done.

Right now a little injured, but just about to get exciting with injuries clearing up.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think his meaning was that we wouldn't have signed Bradford without Gilbert.

We need to consider Bradford's history over the past few seasons, and yes, Gilbert was a huge influence in Tre's life in H.S.  He was definitely a reason, if not THE reason, Bradford signed-on here.  With Gilbert gone, and looking at his previous stops, I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We need to consider Bradford's history over the past few seasons, and yes, Gilbert was a huge influence in Tre's life in H.S.  He was definitely a reason, if not THE reason, Bradford signed-on here.  With Gilbert gone, and looking at his previous stops, I'm not holding my breath.

Time for him to be a big boy and stick to a commitment and earn a degree.  He wouldn't get any playing time at UT.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Time for him to be a big boy and stick to a commitment and earn a degree.  He wouldn't get any playing time at UT.

Oh, I'm definitely not saying he's going to follow Gilbert to UT.  I doubt UT even has room for him.
I'm just not sure his heart is in the game, and without Gilbert here, he may not really want to give it a go here.   Maybe he's developed a relationship with Coach Cobbs, and decides to stick around & play to his potential.   Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

Saw D’Andre Payne “promoted” to CB coach so it looks like they are finally admitting they don’t give a damn about TEs and not replacing Gilbert. (Hope no one paid to learn about the next TE coach…)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Saw D’Andre Payne “promoted” to CB coach so it looks like they are finally admitting they don’t give a damn about TEs and not replacing Gilbert. (Hope no one paid to learn about the next TE coach…)

If only you had paid you would have known who the new TE coach is......

.suck my dick GIF

• Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Not sure why you felt the need to take a cheap shot. Also I guess by placing who they did as a tight end Coach maybe they do give a little bit of a damn.

• Upvote 2

ALL programs are going to lose key coaches and staff. Even Texas. It’s Morris’ job to replace him. No reason to believe he won’t.

As for Bradford, he was a long shot with Gilbert and is still a long shot without him. Good thing RB is the easiest position on the field to find good players. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

As for Bradford, he was a long shot with Gilbert and is still a long shot without him. Good thing RB is the easiest position on the field to find good players. 

What are you talking about?  When a player is enrolled, on campus, and on our roster, how is he a "long shot"?

• Upvote 1