SMU (2/11/24)

Just now, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

SMU shoots 19 free throws and we shoot 5. Home calls there. 

BS calls at the end that cost us a win. Refs took over when they shouldn't have.

• Upvote 3
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

Sadly, this is not going to be a "wait until the conference tournament" kind of year.  I think it's safe to say at this point that we are no longer contenders.  Injuries may have a lot to do with that, but that's just where we are one way or another, which is middle of the pack.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Sadly, this is not going to be a "wait until the conference tournament" kind of year.  I think it's safe to say at this point that we are no longer contenders.  Injuries may have a lot to do with that, but that's just where we are one way or another, which is middle of the pack.

This is a terrible take but ok. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Depth depth depth .  
We are losing these games in the offseason. We catch ourselves hoping for something good late in recruiting season . Then settle late .  This will take $$$$$ . Also encourage some of the bench to move on to lesser conferences or D 2. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

This is a terrible take but ok. 

We've played 6 games against the top 5 teams in the conference and have won 1 of those games.  6 games is statistically significant to say we are not among those top teams.  Could be a different story with a healthier roster, but at this point it is what it is, sadly.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

36 minutes ago, CMJ said:

NT 60 ---------- SMU 56

7:58 to go

Hopefully we're not wearing down, but it does feel like we might be getting tired out there.

Ooof. North Texas only scored 8 points the final 8 minutes. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Oh, I disagree. You can't expect more when you have two starters out. All of our losses can be attributed to lack of depth at the skill positions.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Having 2 starters out of the rotation is huge. We are basically running a 7 man rotation with Moore just coming in to give Edwards a few minuets of rest. Having a 9 man rotation is a world of difference, not to mention those two were our primary ball handlers.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Need to be playing more guys. 2-3 minutes extra rest would make all the difference. We are too tired to close out games because Hodge sits guys on the bench. 13 scholarship players and we pretty run out 7. 

Who, on our bench, would you propose we play more?

Just now, Hunter Green said:

Oh, I disagree. You can't expect more when you have two starters out. All of our losses can be attributed to lack of depth at the skill positions.

Oh, I completely agree, but this seems to be the roster we have to work with for the foreseeable future.  The odds of any team winning the tournament from the 7-9 seed (or somewhere around there) is extremely low, even if we do get guys back then.  It's no one's fault...just the present reality.

8 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Anybody should be able to step up at play 2-3 minutes a half. If you play tight defensive and slow down the offense it’s just a couple possessions either way but the rest on the back end will make all the difference the last 5-7 minutes of the game. 

• Upvote 5

Same sh*t different day.  I thought A Scott was gonna take a step forward this year and lead this team.  He has regressed and was awful today.  This year looked so promising but is sinking fast.  Need a true point badly.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

I know both Rubin and CJ are out and have been out for a while, but I fear we may be out of gas by the time the conference tournament comes. 
I agree with Andrew that some of the bench guys just need to pick up a couple of minutes here and there to give others a breather. That would eventually add up towards the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

I know both Rubin and CJ are out and have been out for a while, but I fear we may be out of gas by the time the conference tournament comes. 
I agree with Andrew that some of the bench guys just need to pick up a couple of minutes here and there to give others a breather. That would eventually add up towards the end of the season. 

It is amazing how many of us think we can make better basketball decisions than the coaching staff.  

This is obviously not a deep team and with two starters out, the results should be obvious.   The game announcer stated this multiple times and they were proved right.  NT runs out of steam at the end of games, but I highly doubt Hodges is such a bad coach that he has the answer setting on the bench.  

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

BS calls at the end that cost us a win. Refs took over when they shouldn't have.

Refs didn’t lose this game for us. We lost it for ourselves. 

for those of you who say 7 deep isn’t enough - isn’t that what Grant pretty much ran….7 deep?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Definitely Cotton.

I would hope Morgan could contribute after three years in the program. If not, then time to move along. The JUCO we signed this year has done nothing. Wasted ship. Sissoko has to contribute more to earn more than 12 minutes a game, and Stone has got to put up some points when playing 23 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

Edwards is awesome, but if we need a three with the last shot he can’t create it.  We need to draw up better late game offensive set plays.  We got by the last several years with Hamlet and Perry creating shots.  Coaches need to step it up to fill the void because that guy isn’t on the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Refs didn’t lose this game for us. We lost it for ourselves. 

for those of you who say 7 deep isn’t enough - isn’t that what Grant pretty much ran….7 deep?

Yes and it worked but got lucky. Can’t just run guys into the ground night in night out. Also Edwards pushed the pace too much on the offensive end which puts unneeded wear and tear on guys. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Greendylan said:

I guess we’re officially middle of the pack, but the difference between #1 through #7 is so, so small.  There is absolutely no margin for error, yet we’re still competing against the best in the conference.

I would be interested to see a stat that shows how many minutes of each game each team in the conference has been winning.  It’s maddening how much we’ve been leading in most conference games only to lose in the end.  And I’d say missing two starters, or lack of depth, play a big part in that.

• Upvote 2