Are we not signing a transfer QB?

meangreenfaninno

There are QBs available, and some more might be available after the Bowls. With all of the QBs who have transferred, another wave of QBs will be available after Spring ball. After his work with Ward and now Morris, I find it hard to believe that there will not be QBs who would like to learn under Morris.

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I hope he's able to do it that would be awesome, but to ask a kid to go from HS to Starting on Saturdays is one of the most difficult jumps to make. 

Maybe but UVA brought in a freshman starter for the last five games of the season.  His CMP% was 62% for almost 2000 yards.  UVA sucked but not because of the freshman QB.

13 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Maybe but UVA brought in a freshman starter for the last five games of the season.  His CMP% was 62% for almost 2000 yards.  UVA sucked but not because of the freshman QB.

Didn't say it couldn't happen but for every 1 Freshman QB who has solid numbers theres 100 who struggle mightily.  When you bring in some of the top talent every now and then they're ready to come in and play immediately.  You would like to not put them in that situation and let them develop a greater understanding of the game, while learning the system and grow.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He actually backed out of that transfer!

Thanks for the info.  I'm surprised I haven't seen any threads on that.  Honestly, going back to ACU seemed like a great move for him.  But it would be great if he could transfer whatever he showed in fall camp onto the game field.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Didn't say it couldn't happen but for every 1 Freshman QB who has solid numbers theres 100 who struggle mightily.  When you bring in some of the top talent every now and then they're ready to come in and play immediately.  You would like to not put them in that situation and let them develop a greater understanding of the game, while learning the system and grow.

I get what you're saying but I see no difference in a redshirt freshman transfer who has, say, 20 career FBS passing attempts transferring in where he'll have to learn our system vs a true freshman having to learn the system. If we can get a guy who started 10ish games and had some success, that's different to an extent. Then you have to wonder why he's transferring and if he's a fit here. Just think we need to stop assuming a transfer QB will fix all our concerns.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

12 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I get what you're saying but I see no difference in a redshirt freshman transfer who has, say, 20 career FBS passing attempts transferring in where he'll have to learn our system vs a true freshman having to learn the system. If we can get a guy who started 10ish games and had some success, that's different to an extent. Then you have to wonder why he's transferring and if he's a fit here. Just think we need to stop assuming a transfer QB will fix all our concerns.

The only assumption I will make is that Morris will bring someone in True Freshman transfer RS Freshman Senior, Sophomore whoever and will keep the offense moving along

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

He sure had that playbook down for FIU

He was not the problem at FIU. The problem at FIU was a Star safety that didn't tackle anyone.  Our defense lost that game.

Stone will be fine as a QB, but we still need more talent and depth at the position. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

He was not the problem at FIU. The problem at FIU was a Star safety that didn't tackle anyone.  Our defense lost that game.

Stone will be fine as a QB, but we still need more talent and depth at the position. 

10/20 96 yards , 1 TD and 2 crucial INT 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Graddean said:

Earle is being judged on performance in September.  It is possible with a season of coaching and practice, he might have conquered some of his problems.  I am not saying he had, but it is not out of the realm of possibility for him to be a better player now.

Yes, Jason Bean was a work-in-progress here, but once he matured/gained experience he was good at KU.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

Pressuring to do much? Rogers came in and went 11/15, threw 2 tds and ran for one 

I think Earle was pressing.  Rogers has a much more calm demeanor in the pocket and it allowed him to produce those numbers and the numbers throughout the season.  Some players are able to let the game slow down and process things quicker, some aren't.  I am betting things start to slow down for Earle.  Doesn't mean I think he will be the starting QB, but I think he will be improved.

• Upvote 7

IMO shoring up our defense has to be the #1 priority as we move into the new year. I'm optimistic our staff will be able to bring in at least a couple of transfer QBs to compete for the starting spot (especially with what the O did this season), but that defense needs a major overhaul. I'm particularly worried about finding the right DL personnel for that 3-man front. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT86 said:

I hope we bring in another QB but if it's Stone, I'm not too worried. That said, Stone threw 4 INTs in 6 quarters of football. That has me concerned. I expect we'll get a good transfer in but if we don't, Stone's better than McNulty or any number of blunders we've had at the position.