Are we not signing a transfer QB?

meangreenfaninno

1 hour ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Looks like Morris is reading this thread 

Different ways to read this.   The part "will try to sign" doesn't sound like any sense of need or urgency.  The part "HS, transfer, whatever" again doesn't signal concern, or even focus on a specific target or group.  Not sure if this implies we already have who we need or waiting until later?   

QB is the most important piece, the face of a team.  It is the lone metric that defines the value of the team. Just ask FSU losing their QB, but still winning, yet falling out of CFP consideration because of it.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Different ways to read this.   The part "will try to sign" doesn't sound like any sense of need or urgency.  The part "HS, transfer, whatever" again doesn't signal concern, or even focus on a specific target or group.  Not sure if this implies we already have who we need or waiting until later?   

QB is the most important piece, the face of a team.  It is the lone metric that defines the value of the team. Just ask FSU losing their QB, but still winning, yet falling out of CFP consideration because of it.

If you actually watched the presser you'd see how much it took Bert to coax that out of him. Of course he's trying to get another QB in here. Depth isn't great at the position for one. He doesn't want Stone to leave AGAIN.

• Upvote 4

Just now, peanuts104 said:

If you actually watched the presser you'd see how much it took Bert to coax that out of him. Of course he's trying to get another QB in here. Depth isn't great at the position for one. He doesn't want Stone to leave AGAIN.

With the offensive players that we just signed it might make it a little easier to convince a quarterback to come here and play in Morris's system

• Upvote 3

Chandler Rogers was playing his fourth season of college football when he became our starter.

Cash McCollum was playing Class 4A high school football a month ago.

The difference in experience between those two is miles and miles. You can’t count on a Class 4A QB to start Year 1 in the AAC. 

And Stone Earle threw 4 TDs and 4 INTs last season. That’s not good. It would be foolish to count on him too. 

Our starting QB next season is getting pulled out of the transfer portal in the next few weeks. And I expect him to be pretty good. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Looks like Morris is reading this thread 

Just Coach speak. He’s playing this close to the vest.  My prediction is he will sign one that we will all be pleased with. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Coach Morris knows ball. QB ball to be specific. I am just not worried about QB with Morris as our head coach.

I used to believe this much more strongly than I do now... between the fumbling of Rogers at the beginning of the year, to failing to even talk to Ken Seals, and now each day that passes with Stone Earle as our QB... doubt is starting to creep in.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I used to believe this much more strongly than I do now... between the fumbling of Rogers at the beginning of the year, to failing to even talk to Ken Seals, and now each day that passes with Stone Earle as our QB... doubt is starting to creep in.

I share your doubt. We better lock down a quality dual-threat QB from the portal otherwise this is a clear misstep. Ken Seals can sling it, he’s a natural leader, and would be a valuable asset and bring big game experience to our squad. Dude had Swiss cheese for an OL at Vandy and still managed to put up solid numbers vs SEC teams. Big stadiums and bright lights don’t phase him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I like the optimism, but there is no way the bottom 2 dudes would even give us a chance

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Chandler Rogers was playing his fourth season of college football when he became our starter.

Cash McCollum was playing Class 4A high school football a month ago.

The difference in experience between those two is miles and miles. You can’t count on a Class 4A QB to start Year 1 in the AAC. 

I agree, but McCollum is enrolling in January, by all accounts is a smart dude, and is already 6'4" 220. It's not ideal, but part of me isn't sure we won't be seeing him sooner than later. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

KJ needs to put up stats. This could be a good opportunity for that goal!

Oh 100%. UNT is a great spot to put up numbers, but he's gonna have some fairly decent P5 schools knocking on his door like Miami, South Carolina, or maybe even Mississippi State (he's a Mississippi kid too). NIL money + a school with a national brand is hard to compete with

16 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I agree, but McCollum is enrolling in January, by all accounts is a smart dude, and is already 6'4" 220. It's not ideal, but part of me isn't sure we won't be seeing him sooner than later. 

Reminder that Morris started both Jon Copeland and Cam Ward(after coming from a triple option offense in HS) as true freshman at UIW. If Cash is the guy, I don't think he hesitates

That being said, I would like an experience QB to come in. We still have time.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Oh 100%. UNT is a great spot to put up numbers, but he's gonna have some fairly decent P5 schools knocking on his door like Miami, South Carolina, or maybe even Mississippi State (he's a Mississippi kid too). NIL money + a school with a national brand is hard to compete with

Maybe, Miami is in the Manning hunt and that is the issue. What happens to Chandler if the USC guy signs with Cal?  KJ has been banged up every time I have seen him play. Come to a lessor Div, stay healthy and put up killer stats could be a strong selling point.

Edited by Wag Tag

46 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Maybe, Miami is in the Manning hunt and that is the issue. What happens to Chandler if the USC guy signs with Cal?  KJ has been banged up every time I have seen him play. Come to a lessor Div, stay healthy and put up killer stats could be a strong selling point.

Manning hunt?