Are we not signing a transfer QB?

meangreenfaninno

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I hope he's able to do it that would be awesome, but to ask a kid to go from HS to Starting on Saturdays is one of the most difficult jumps to make.  They'll bring another QB in without a doubt, but Cash being here in January and having Spring ball definitely helps his case.

Yes it's a big jump but we've seen it before here and elsewhere. The big offensive linemen and established running game will help.

I just find the QB panic funny when Rogers did not come here as an established FBS QB. There's time and if not, our coaches are supposed to be experts. I'm not panicking at QB like I am at DL.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yes it's a big jump but we've seen it before here and elsewhere. The big offensive linemen and established running game will help.

I just find the QB panic funny when Rogers did not come here as an established FBS QB. There's time and if not, our coaches are supposed to be experts. I'm not panicking at QB like I am at DL.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why isn't he ready? If there's no transfer in the works and he beats out Earle, what's wrong with a 6'4" 220 pound QB who had 3600 total yards and 51 total TDs his senior season?

Two (2) true freshman started for each team in the UTSA/Marshall Bowl game last night (sons of NFL QBs).  It was not pretty.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Two (2) true freshman started for each team in the UTSA/Marshall Bowl game last night (sons of NFL QBs).  It was not pretty.

That describes most of our seasons. Even going back to when we had record setting QB's playing for us. 

BTW, in all these discussions about freshman QB's starting or not starting, why are we ignoring the fact that Mason Fine eventually started his freshman year here.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

BTW, in all these discussions about freshman QB's starting or not starting, why are we ignoring the fact that Mason Fine eventually started his freshman year here.

Apparently we are. The staff has brought in many offensive linemen and a P5 transfers running back. Seems to me they're putting together a QB friendly offense.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So you predicted the guy with 2400 yards, 15 tds 7 interceptions would have 3400 yards 29 tds to 5 interceptions in 10 games after one offseason? He had never started at the FBS level prior to ULM. He was not a multi-year FBS starter with crazy numbers. He had one season prior to UNT.

There was a ton of excitement around Rogers when he signed... because he had previous FBS level experience.  Most here were drooling over his comp%.   I don't believe I had 

I was only pointing out that yes, in fact, Rogers WAS indeed an "established FBS QB" when he signed, when you said he did not.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There was a ton of excitement around Rogers when he signed... because he had previous FBS level experience.  Most here were drooling over his comp%.   I don't believe I had 

I was only pointing out that yes, in fact, Rogers WAS indeed an "established FBS QB" when he signed, when you said he did not.

Being established and have previous experience are two different things, IMO. Just a difference in opinion I guess. Back to the original issue, if Cash McCollum is here in the spring, I see no reason to believe he can't commit for QB1 if nobody else is brought in.

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Being established and have previous experience are two different things, IMO. Just a difference in opinion I guess. Back to the original issue, if Cash McCollum is here in the spring, I see no reason to believe he can't commit for QB1 if nobody else is brought in.

I cant compute trying to compare the resumes of Mr. Rogers last year VS Mr. McCollum this year... but here we are.  Downgrading one of them severely, and inflating another.

I do agree with your last sentence though.   And, IMO, that will result in a disaster of a year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I cant compute trying to compare the resumes of Mr. Rogers last year VS Mr. McCollum this year... but here we are.  Downgrading one of them severely, and inflating another.

I do agree with your last sentence though.   And, IMO, that will result in a disaster of a year.

Who compared resumes? Rogers came in with 1 year of FBS starting experience and was coached up to do great things. Everybody is unproven at some point so that's the difference in a true freshman QB and a transfer with limited experience? I personally would like to see the Tulsa QB come in to this offense due to his size and athleticism but this most recent season, he completed 44% of his passes with 2 TDs and 6 interceptions. His 2 seasons show he has accuracy issues. It's all a gamble unless we get a transfer with legit full-time QB1 experience. 

We still have Stone Earle so it's not like Cash will NEED to be forced into the fire from day 1. I think Morris is a bright enough offensive mind where he can make the offense work with Earle. If Cash beats him out, that just shows he was ready to compete as a freshman! There's also still plenty of time for a transfer QB to make his way here. We need to learn from Aaron Rodgers and R E L A X

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

We still have Stone Earle so it's not like Cash will NEED to be forced into the fire from day 1. I think Morris is a bright enough offensive mind where he can make the offense work with Earle. If Cash beats him out, that just shows he was ready to compete as a freshman! There's also still plenty of time for a transfer QB to make his way here. We need to learn from Aaron Rodgers and R E L A X

Stone Earle transferred to ACU, dude.

• Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2