North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think I’ll remember Rogers 2023 season pretty fondly.

I will remember that he put up 3,000 passing yards but my fondness ends when he transfers. My love was conditional on a second season. If he's a distant relative of my Rogers kin I won't talk to him at the reunion.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

Additionally, couldn’t a lot of these guys parlay that into money in the future?  If you truly earn your NIL money, you should be able to continue making money after the football career is over.  

Therein lies the problem. It's not true NIL, it's paying guys to exist on their roster. I'd say there's very few college football players who have a big enough impact to be remembered after college without making it to the NFL. That said, 98% of college players aren't going to make it to the NFL and I'd guess 99.9% of that 98% who don't make it aren't big enough in college to actually earn any significant name, image, and likeness money. They're just getting paid to exist on the roster and if they're good, it's pay for play.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Therein lies the problem. It's not true NIL, it's paying guys to exist on their roster. I'd say there's very few college football players who have a big enough impact to be remembered after college without making it to the NFL. That said, 98% of college players aren't going to make it to the NFL and I'd guess 99.9% of that 98% who don't make it aren't big enough in college to actually earn any significant name, image, and likeness money. They're just getting paid to exist on the roster and if they're good, it's pay for play.

And that is the issue that the NCAA will not address and it will create a bigger separation between the power schools and the others this ruining the game in my eyes. Gee, guess which university started this little phenomenon. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

How about the NCAA limiting the NIL opportunities to about 30-35 students as if they were scholarship bonuses. That way, smaller programs won’t lose players simply as depth pieces for “rich” programs. 

probably my biggest gripe about the current setup: a program can bring in athletes on NIL, not have to put them on scholarship.

The entire thing has basically negated the scholarship limit.

I hope they find a way to stop this, but color me skeptical.  The entire world is flipped right now.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, wardly said:

UNT has 23 players in the transfer portal. Other programs with new coaches coming in are Houston ,no entries, Tulane, 1 entry, and Texas A&M, 8 entries. Granted this may change but from what I can tell 23 players is a really big number.

I count 12 Aggie losses, including a pretty highly touted QB.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/longformarticle/texas-am-aggies-football-transfer-portal-tracker-following-2023-season-221883600/amp/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

They also have an OL entering the portal that we offered out of HS. 

On 12/9/2023 at 2:54 PM, emmitt01 said:

It's not a static number as it changes frequently. I still don't know of a program with more players in the transfer portal than UNT. Yea, we are #1.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1