2023 North Texas Assistant Coach Salaries and Other Notable Assistants

TheReal_jayD

Hard to tell where he fits with the rest of the AAC since the privates don’t disclose data…but Caponi is the highest paid assistant coach at a public school in the conference.  The expectations that come with that kind of pay are certainly higher than dead last in the NCAA.

JayD posting this is interesting.  Changed your mind after last week?  Hearing rumblings that there might be change?

Edit: zoomed out…he’s the highest paid assistant across G5.  Ouch.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Hard to tell where he fits with the rest of the AAC since the privates don’t disclose data…but Caponi is the highest paid assistant coach at a public school in the conference.  The expectations that come with that kind of pay are certainly higher than dead last in the NCAA.

JayD posting this is interesting.  Changed your mind after last week?  Hearing rumblings that there might be change?

Edit: zoomed out…he’s the highest paid assistant across G5.  Ouch.

No I haven’t heard of any rumblings. Just thought some of the pay was interesting. Do think Morris should get credit to take less money to make sure assistants are taking care of. Not many in country would do that…

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

38 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

No I haven’t heard of any rumblings. Just thought some of the pay was interesting. Do think Morris should get credit to take less money to make sure assistants are taking care of. Not many in country would do that…

Thanks for posting this information. I have combed through the data, and it appears Caponi is actually the highest paid assistant among the entire Group of 5. In my opinion, that only makes our defensive performance this season that much more depressing.

In light of this information and the production we have all witnessed this season.... Do you still think Caponi deserves to be at UNT for another season?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Thanks for posting this information. I have combed through the data, and it appears Caponi is actually the highest paid assistant among the entire Group of 5. In my opinion, that only makes our defensive performance this season that much more depressing.

In light of this information and the production we have all witnessed this season.... Do you still think Caponi deserves to be at UNT for another season?

The information tells us that he would be the most expensive assistant coach to fire in the entire Group of 5.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

Caponi’s services must have been highly in demand? That’s the only reason a first time DC would get paid that much…or Morris got bad sources. 

This was a combination of an inexperienced head coach combined with an inexperienced athletic director. As an athletic director if you hire an air raid coach and do not make sure they have a good plan to bring in a defensive coordinator who is proven then this is what you're asking for.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Craponi’s high salary was so unnecessary. Easily could have gotten an experienced coordinator for the same or likely less. This is completely on Morris. 

I mean, he was getting $375k at Iowa State, so they seem pretty convinced he’s good coach. You’ve got to make it worth it for him to come.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I mean, he was getting $375k at Iowa State, so they seem pretty convinced he’s good coach. You’ve got to make it worth it for him to come.

Never been a DC above D3, iirc. Why not a good FCS coordinator? 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Why was it destined to struggle? Please use facts to support thesis. 

They lost multiple players who contributed significantly to last year’s mediocre defense late, changed schemes, moved up in conference, and I’ve seen enough missed tackles and blown assignments to know it’s not just coaching.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

They lost multiple players who contributed significantly to last year’s mediocre defense late, changed schemes, moved up in conference, and I’ve seen enough missed tackles and blown assignments to know it’s not just coaching.

This is a fair argument. I don’t see that it was “destined” to be worse. It wasn’t so great last year so it would have been reasonable to assume that the new staff could have hurdled a low bar like improving from a bottom 20 defense. Instead it is dead ass last in the country.  If we expect a bottom 20 defense to be worse, then to me that means we are questioning the quality of the hire of the defensive coaching staff. I was definitely questioning bringing in someone at that salary with zero coordinating experience above D3, but still didn’t expect a last place defense. (UAB is equally terrible so hopefully our offense hangs 50 on them and they take the last place slot from us.) 

Many people have pointed to the players we lost but every team loses players, even late like we did with Nixon, who was the biggest loss for us, as his results at Auburn prove. The coaches didn’t ensure that they had the personnel to run the defense they wanted to install. That’s a massive fail and Morris has all but confirmed they messed up in that area. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2023 at 10:04 AM, untbowler said:

Funny how the 2 best position coaches as far as production are paid the least

Cobbs deserves better

Appears us and ECU both way overpaid for DC positions

ECU is getting what they paid for..they're 37th on overall defense just behind Texas. Us on the other hand. Dead last at 130