Should Caponi get another year?

Jonnyeagle

Should Caponi get another year?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Should Caponi get another year?

• Yes - he needs another year to get his players
    • No - we've seen enough. Time to cut our losses

I would love to know what the behind-closed-doors situation is between Morris and Caponi and where Eric's thoughts are between poor coaching and lack of talent. Caponi is likely back with the two-year contract unless Morris is very motivated to get rid of him. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Why the phuck did UNT let that happen. Complete idiots. 

Probably to lure him away from Iowa State where he was in his 4th year as CB coach and they were upward at the time.  Do most Coordinators receive more than single-year contracts?

• Upvote 1

On 11/13/2023 at 1:23 PM, Shark84 said:

2 year contract

So the correct answer to this thread is "Caponi WILL get another year."  Unless one of our posters here wants to step up with a boatload of cash to buy out an assistant coach, "should" is not a consideration at this point in time.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Thanks 3

Well, anyone change after the performance yesterday? Defense kept us in the game until Offense woke up. I know I know, against a bad team but we finally slowed the run a little.   My question from last game is how do we keep leaving our smallest corner in 1 on 1 situations with the other teams tallest WR we have 3 safeties surely to the big man upstairs we can find a way to borrow a safety and give him some help.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

FFS, no he does not DESERVE another year, but knowing this cluster F of an athletic department and HFC he probably WILL get another year.

Total Defense: DFL (130 out of 130)

Scoring Defense: 128 out of 130

Rushing Defense: DFL (130 out of 130)

Red Zone Defense: 106 out of 130

When Ron Mendoza would be considered an upgrade at DC, something has gone horribly wrong. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

6 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Well, anyone change after the performance yesterday? Defense kept us in the game until Offense woke up. I know I know, against a bad team but we finally slowed the run a little.   My question from last game is how do we keep leaving our smallest corner in 1 on 1 situations with the other teams tallest WR we have 3 safeties surely to the big man upstairs we can find a way to borrow a safety and give him some help.  

I am starting to climb up on the fence, if the defense does well this Saturday I will be sitting squarely on the fence waiting to see what is done in the off-season. 

We should probably do a new poll with an in-the-middle choice. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I am starting to climb up on the fence, if the defense does well this Saturday I will be sitting squarely on the fence waiting to see what is done in the off-season. 

We should probably do a new poll with an in-the-middle choice. 

My biggest complaint currently (I'm leaving run game out of it because no excuse just fact, he's running this system with guys who were recruited to play 4 down and slant and move) It seems like we have LB's lost in coverage as in they have no idea where to go or what they're looking at.  Running the 3-3-5 should allow for dang near double teams on every wide receiver unless they go 5 wide, yet we constantly have guys catching a ball with no one near them.  

I LOVE that they are getting the young guys in and getting tape to see where we stand in the future as well as now.  That young DB class is going to be fun watching IMO. 

Inside LB's seem to be fitting the run better and seeing the windows and closing them. 

I am cautiously optimistic.  As bad as we were early on, we were within a score late against the top 3 teams in conference.  Fix a few things here and there that get cleaned up and we would be having an entirely different conversation.  

I also put blame towards offense for laying eggs for entire halfs (makes playing defense pretty tough when offense is on the field for 40 seconds and right back off).  

• Upvote 5

Is it the DC's fault or are the players just not that good?  Its not like expectations were high for this squad going into the season, they didn't make a splash in the transfer portal, and they lost some key players from last season.  Did anyone not expect this defense to rank near the bottom of the AAC?  I'm not sure a different DC would have had any more success.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

11 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Is it the DC's fault or are the players just not that good?  Its not like expectations were high for this squad going into the season, they didn't make a splash in the transfer portal, and they lost some key players from last season.  Did anyone not expect this defense to rank near the bottom of the AAC?  I'm not sure a different DC would have had any more success.

I wonder if Caponi wanted to hit the portal more and Eric had him hold off? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

also put blame towards offense for laying eggs for entire halfs (makes playing defense pretty tough when offense is on the field for 40 seconds and right back off).  

I think this is what Morris means when he says complementary football.  It’s also a reason why PB’s defense improved in year two (SL ran the ball which led to fresher defenses and less possessions for the opposition).  As explosive as the offense has been, they’ve come up short at times when the defense made the occasional stop. 

• Upvote 1