James Madison over #4 Michigan State on the road

Abilene Christian over Oklahoma State on the road

Purdue Fort Wayne over DePaul on the road

Chattanooga over Louisville on the road

Nicholls State over LSU on the road

Pacific over California on the road

Western Carolina over Notre Dame on the road

Holy Cross over Georgtown on the road 

I realize many of these high major programs are not very good but several are teams with very high expectations. Some were even NCAA teams or just missed out last year (Michigan State, OK State, Rutgers). The point is, winning is hard. It's hard later in the season when players are banged up and tired. It's hard this early in the season when roles are still being defined and chemistry is still being built. We're 2-0. Relax.

Great thoughts here. Team is 2-0 with a ton of room for improvement. Really looking forward to this St. John’s game on Thursday. 

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

High-major upsets through week 1:

Princeton over Rutgers on the road

James Madison over #4 Michigan State on the road

Abilene Christian over Oklahoma State on the road

Purdue Fort Wayne over DePaul on the road

Chattanooga over Louisville on the road

Nicholls State over LSU on the road

Pacific over California on the road

Western Carolina over Notre Dame on the road

Holy Cross over Georgtown on the road 

I realize many of these high major programs are not very good but several are teams with very high expectations. Some were even NCAA teams or just missed out last year (Michigan State, OK State, Rutgers). The point is, winning is hard. It's hard later in the season when players are banged up and tired. It's hard this early in the season when roles are still being defined and chemistry is still being built. We're 2-0. Relax.

This is a great take on things. I too was in the camp of wanting to blow them out by 20+, but I understand the dynamics early in the season and if the guys weren't ready, we could easily be 0-2. I am not worried about Boss Hodge getting these guys in a position to win as the season progresses. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Uninspired, unimpressive win.

Have not changed my overall impression but would like to add:

NT lost the nucleus of their team including the coach. 

Although, I would like a fast start, it is not likely to happen.    

Scott could be as special as some have predicted.  

Noland's debate was very strong. 

Jones also provides some consistency in the backcourt.  

• Upvote 2

If you look at the box score stats for the game, NT beat them significantly in all shooting areas, except for total free throws.  Omaha shot 9 more free throws than we did (25 vs 16) and hit 80% of them.  But we hit 81.3%.  That extra 9 points for them was the difference in a 20 point win vs our 11 point win.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401581811

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

This is a great take on things. I too was in the camp of wanting to blow them out by 20+, but I understand the dynamics early in the season and if the guys weren't ready, we could easily be 0-2. I am not worried about Boss Hodge getting these guys in a position to win as the season progresses. 

We need to remember this team has 4 new members in Allen, Edwards, Noland, and Buggs. While they're playing well together, it's clear players are trying to figure themselves out at the end of the game. None of our guys were go-to closers last year. I'm predicting by the end of this next tournament, Rubin and Scott will take that next step.

Looking back at last year, we barely beat Southern Nazarene to open, struggled with Fresno State two games later, and then lost to UNC Wilmington a couple weeks later. We forget we played Omaha three weeks into the season, not the second game of the season. Personally, I'm very much pleased with how we've played. Closing has been tough but they've figured it out and won both games.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

Good win. I thought Noland had a very good game. Scott is a beast!  Jones shut down their best player.  I want to see a bit more of Edward’s, but Hodge seems to be limiting his minutes. Looking forward to watching this team continue to develop. 

Well tonight Edwards got those two early fouls which is why he was on the bench for an extended time in the first half.  I also kinda think that you got Scott and Noland that handle the ball quite a bit and are just above him in the pecking order.  

Noland was a 4-star out of hs, I believe the highest rated recruit on the team, could be wrong, and was on the all Big 12 freshman team. I mean he tied for the scoring lead tonight and it seemed effortless. I didn’t even realize he had 18 until the game was over. Lol

I think Edwards is perfect in the 6th man role because that dude has the ability to be instant offense when he steps on the floor.  

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Venson said:

I know some wanted a blowout, but I was at the game and it never felt like we would not win this game. They were in complete control of the game. It almost felt like they were just conducting a scrimmage and trying to work out some kinks.

Yes! I was telling my buddy this exact same thing. It really did feel like the door was cracked, but we weren't going to let them open it all the way.

armslength_677645_1.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

Nice game from Noland, though I know he got a lot of FTs at the end. Jones was getting a little frustrated and seemed to have a personal vendetta to score on Fidler, I'm sure there were some words were exchanged. He needs to just play his game and not lose focus. Very happy to see Sissoko playing with some confidence, he needs to come out every game like this. If he and Allen are both mentally strong this team can do great things. Stone is finally contributing on offense, let's hope he gets things rolling this year. 

The defense is still not 100% clicking, too many lost assignments and open looks. I don't know if we are shifting away from that style or if the players aren't playing up to Hodge's standards. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Once Buggs finds his shot, this team will be explosive!

Yeah, he was missing a few and he probably felt like it wasn't his night so gave up some shots he would have most likely taken if he was shooting better. On the broadcast they said he was only 2nd to TP on 3s in the nation last year IIRC. When he gets comfortable he's going to be incredible. 

• Lovely Take 1

37 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Yeah, he was missing a few and he probably felt like it wasn't his night so gave up some shots he would have most likely taken if he was shooting better. On the broadcast they said he was only 2nd to TP on 3s in the nation last year IIRC. When he gets comfortable he's going to be incredible. 

This myth of Buggs being a great 3PT FG shooter has already been proven false.  Curious as to where it began. 🤔🤔

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Nice game from Noland, though I know he got a lot of FTs at the end. Jones was getting a little frustrated and seemed to have a personal vendetta to score on Fidler, I'm sure there were some words were exchanged. He needs to just play his game and not lose focus. Very happy to see Sissoko playing with some confidence, he needs to come out every game like this. If he and Allen are both mentally strong this team can do great things. Stone is finally contributing on offense, let's hope he gets things rolling this year. 

The defense is still not 100% clicking, too many lost assignments and open looks. I don't know if we are shifting away from that style or if the players aren't playing up to Hodge's standards. 

Peculiar take on Jones, who just completely shutdown Omaha's best player.  

31 minutes ago, L Ron Studdard said:

Last season he shot 40% from three on 6.3 attempts per game for a team that gave him a lot less help than this one does.

Repost from the summer discussing Buggs ranking 11th in the nation in 3PT FG% and shooting 47%:

Buggs had a 38.9% FG% and 39.6% 3PT% for 2022-2023.  He ranked 43rd in 3PT% in the NCAA.  Tylor Perry ranked 18 at 41.33%.  Maybe at one point during the season Buggs was ranked 11th in the nation and shooting at or near 47%, but his final numbers are not close.  The #2 ranked player in 3PT% shot 45.5% on the season.  

I hope he shoots 45% this season if it keeps the train rolling!! Charleston here we come!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, L Ron Studdard said:

Looking at ESPN, he was 34th nationally in 3PT% among qualifying players. In what universe is that not a great 3PT shooter?

Yahoo Sports - ESPN - Grandma’s scratch pad. Hoo cares. He’s shooting 28.6% after 2 games. That shooting percentage is even lower if you factor in the closed scrimmage and exhibition. But I repeat WE WANT HIM SHOOTING 45, 46, hell 90% if it keeps this train rolling! 

“Just win Baby!” - Al Davis