If you think winning doesn’t matter…

Tom McKrackin

What are you talking about?  What we need is a better gameday experience like blending old school music with new school music to keep the crowd engaged.   More programs and better North Texas cheer coordination.  And as long as we throw the ball down field consistently like we are trying to win in an exciting fashion the fans will show up.   Trying to win by hiring an arrogant blow hard with a track record of getting big time recruits and wining at the FCS level is either beneath our dignity as respectable academic/athletic brand or too lofty for us.   I lose to track of which one it is.   We will get around to winning by hiring Dodge 4.0, Littrell 3.0, or Morris 2.0 take your pick.  😊

Seriously I haven't given up on Morris but I had to go there because I see a pattern.  If he is anything but an unquestionable total disaster in under 3 years, I see another Spread Air Raid-ish coordinator coming. 🤪

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 4

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

What are you talking about?  What we need is a better gameday experience like blending old school music with new school music to keep the crowd engaged.   More programs and better North Texas cheer coordination.  And as long as we throw the ball down field consistently like we are trying to win in an exciting fashion the fans will show up.   Trying to win by hiring an arrogant blow hard with a track record of getting big time recruits and wining at the FCS level is either beneath our dignity as respectable academic/athletic brand or too lofty for us.   I lose to track of which one it is.   We will get around to winning by hiring Dodge 4.0, Littrell 3.0, or Morris 2.0 take your pick.  😊

Seriously I haven't given up on Morris but I had to go there because I see a pattern.  If he is anything but an unquestionable total disaster in under 3 years, I see another Spread Air Raid-ish coordinator coming. 🤪

Look, we are North Texas. Better get use to it and just accept it. We are bush league. Always will be. After 53 years of following this mess I’ve finally decided to just accept this fact. We are the school from across the tracks. Nothing more than a wannabe. Accept it. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Look, we are North Texas. Better get use to it and just accept it. We are bush league. Always will be. After 53 years of following this mess I’ve finally decided to just accept this fact. We are the school from across the tracks. Nothing more than a wannabe. Accept it. 

When I fully accept that I will find other things on game days. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

When I fully accept that I will find other things on game days. 🤷🏽‍♂️

It sounds like you aren’t too far away from that, based on your anger at this place. Not saying it’s not deserved, but you want to see success here and that’s just not been our bit for decades.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Yes. But I have 3 words for you: Basketball. Basketball. Basketball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It sounds like you aren’t too far away from that, based on your anger at this place. Not saying it’s not deserved, but you want to see success here and that’s just not been our bit for decades.

You’re right I’m close.  And I think the one thing that has me out more so than the horrible leadership is the complacency and acceptance of mediocrity.  Seeing the crap since they fired Dickey they NO reason to fire Dickey so shortly after him having a heart attack.  I don’t count but hurt due to his personality as logical reason.  Hell I am not a fan today if Coach Dickey didn’t have the success he did here.  Dominating the Sun Belt for those years was an accomplishment given the resources he had.  I would have like see if Dickey could brought the program back up with the facilities investments made after he was fired.  

The facts are that they are never going to get students or anyone else to show up as long it doesn’t even look like they are trying to win big from perspective of casual observers.  There are too many other things to do for students and fans in DFW area.  Minimally when you spent your entertainment dollar you expect the leadership running the organization to be trying to give you the best experience possible.  If they could’ve gotten into AAC with Fouts Field spruced up a little, I know we wouldn’t have DATCU.  And the Superpit in its current condition is proof of that imo.  So it isn’t the lack of winning is the lack of effort that is beyond frustrating.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

32 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

You’re right I’m close.  And I think the one thing that has me out more so than the horrible leadership is the complacency and acceptance of mediocrity.  Seeing the crap since they fired Dickey they NO reason to fire Dickey so shortly after him having a heart attack.  I don’t count but hurt due to his personality as logical reason.  Hell I am not a fan today if Coach Dickey didn’t have the success he did here.  Dominating the Sun Belt for those years was an accomplishment given the resources he had.  I would have like see if Dickey could brought the program back up with the facilities investments made after he was fired.  

The facts are that they are never going to get students or anyone else to show up as long it doesn’t even look like they are trying to win big from perspective of casual observers.  There are too many other things to do for students and fans in DFW area.  Minimally when you spent your entertainment dollar you expect the leadership running the organization to be trying to give you the best experience possible.  If they could’ve gotten into AAC with Fouts Field spruced up a little, I know we wouldn’t have DATCU.  And the Superpit in its current condition is proof of that imo.  So it isn’t the lack of winning is the lack of effort that is beyond frustrating.

What’s really really sad is that we had a head coach that indeed won and for many years. Even won an NIT. He won an NIT!!!! 

And yet the students and Denton NEVER supported that success by showing up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

SUPER PIT IS AWESOME JUST THE WAY IT IS!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

And yet even after many winning seasons, a CIT Title, 3 conference Titles and an NIT Championship the students, alumni and city of Denton never supported the program to the degree it’s success warranted. 

That is 100% about the student we attract then allow in. That has to be fixed. Too many commuters, too many liberal arts. Too many anime type people. 

We are not vetting our students based on their full profile. This is why colleges used to want to see HS involvement on college applications: Sports, languages, student council, FFA, Band, etc etc. Be a part of everything that interests you. Just observing our students, its certainly not like that at UNT. And it hasn't been for some time, if ever. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That is 100% about the student we attract then allow in. That has to be fixed. Too many commuters, too many liberal arts. Too many anime type people. 

We are not vetting our students based on their full profile. This is why colleges used to want to see HS involvement on college applications: Sports, languages, student council, FFA, Band, etc etc. Be a part of everything that interests you. Just observing our students, its certainly not like that at UNT. And it hasn't been for some time, if ever. 

UNT has never done this, as you mentioned...and they never will. The university uses Fine Arts and Music as its primary window to the university. Always has, along with providing a value to commuters and working students. The Denton voices in the community would wail for years if they changed this view to what you mentioned above. Of course, the problem for guys like us is that we like sports, especially football and basketball. And the university and town don't show us that they place a value on this, at least anywhere near what would make guys like us want to fund stuff, from as little as season tickets and MGSF donors, to being a UNT 17 level donor.

The 1-AA debacle back in the 80's and 90's literally nuked any meager following we did have. It killed off potentially big donors that should be funding buildings and scholarships at a level at least in the ballpark of what UH has. When we came back to 1-A in 1995, we did it because the powers-at-be saw that by whoring out our money programs, we could make more money. Once we built Apogee, we at least signaled we wanted to have a football program at this level of play. And those money games have basically dropped to a level that is acceptable for a G5 program. But none of that helps you with recruiting players and hiring coaches who know our history of apathy and bare minimums of support. Ask TX HS coaches about UNT Football--that alone answers a lot of questions. And then ask them about UTSA...and I'm truly afraid that Texas State is ready to step up in their eyes, too.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

UNT has never done this, as you mentioned...and they never will. The university uses Fine Arts and Music as its primary window to the university. Always has, along with providing a value to commuters and working students. The Denton voices in the community would wail for years if they changed this view to what you mentioned above. Of course, the problem for guys like us is that we like sports, especially football and basketball. And the university and town don't show us that they place a value on this, at least anywhere near what would make guys like us want to fund stuff, from as little as season tickets and MGSF donors, to being a UNT 17 level donor.

The 1-AA debacle back in the 80's and 90's literally nuked any meager following we did have. It killed off potentially big donors that should be funding buildings and scholarships at a level at least in the ballpark of what UH has. When we came back to 1-A in 1995, we did it because the powers-at-be saw that by whoring out our money programs, we could make more money. Once we built Apogee, we at least signaled we wanted to have a football program at this level of play. And those money games have basically dropped to a level that is acceptable for a G5 program. But none of that helps you with recruiting players and hiring coaches who know our history of apathy and bare minimums of support. Ask TX HS coaches about UNT Football--that alone answers a lot of questions. And then ask them about UTSA...and I'm truly afraid that Texas State is ready to step up in their eyes, too.

Oh... you ALWAYS see from coaches when a kid commits, particularly a "surprising" commit, "UNT got a good one." It's literally an unintentional insult. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Wait till next home game and take an accurate picture.  There are clearly some people at UNT that prioritize things over winning and academics surely isn’t one of those things for most.  

And ask any one of those folk, would winning help?

All of them would say yes.  All of them, whether their personal top priority or bottom priority, would understand that winning matters.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1