No reusable water bottles at DATCU

Snowy

What is the rationale behind this? 

image.png.988a2a0d920a6b788d2223256b4fef5f.png

This is really dumb. Part of the benefit of brining your own water bottle is you can bring one that’s not plastic and that will actually keep water cold. 

This is going to be a “nice idea but poorly executed” just like the wing zone pub last year if not amended. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 8

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

Much like umbrellas, schools won't allow things like metal flasks or Yetis because they could be used as a projectile or striking object by a drunk and upset fan.  

And the metal beer cans and bottles they sell can’t? 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

An aluminum can and a stainless steel bottle are not the same.

There is about a 6oz difference between a full can of beer and a filled tumbler. 

But either way that’s not really the point. If someone is throwing a tumbler on the field you deal with them the same way someone is throwing a beer on the field. You eject them and never let them back in. The other 99.99% of responsible fans should be allowed to bring a reusable water bottle in. 

BTW people have been sneaking in metal flasks since Apogee opened in 2011. I’ve never seen anyone throw their flask at someone, and I’ve seen some really drunk folks at the stadium. 

Edited by Snowy
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, Snowy said:

There is about a 6oz difference between a full can of beer and a filled tumbler. 

The reason they sell you a beer with the can already open is so that it empties and becomes lighter when thrown. A tumbler with a sealed lid definitely could hurt someone.

16 minutes ago, Snowy said:

If someone is throwing a tumbler on the field you deal with them the same way someone is throwing a beer on the field. You eject them and never let them back in.

Mob mentality is the problem, not an isolated incident. Have you ever seen a game where people get mad at a ref or umpire and throw stuff on the field or court? How would you ever eject individuals.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

22 minutes ago, Snowy said:

But either way that’s not really the point. If someone is throwing a tumbler on the field you deal with them the same way someone is throwing a beer on the field. You eject them and never let them back in. The other 99.99% of responsible fans should be allowed to bring a reusable water bottle in. 

BTW people have been sneaking in metal flasks since Apogee opened in 2011. I’ve never seen anyone throw their flask at someone, and I’ve seen some really drunk folks at the stadium. 

I agree with you but we live in a world where people successfully sue others for everything and anything. If UNT allowed metal reusable bottles and a fight broke out which resulted in an injury aided by a steel bottle, the school would likely be sued for not having policies in place to prevent the bottle from being in the stadium. The metal flasks are being brought in against policy so the school is absolved of liability as the fan is knowingly breaking policies.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I agree with you but we live in a world where people successfully sue others for everything and anything. If UNT allowed metal reusable bottles and a fight broke out which resulted in an injury aided by a steel bottle, the school would likely be sued for not having policies in place to prevent the bottle from being in the stadium. The metal flasks are being brought in against policy so the school is absolved of liability as the fan is knowingly breaking policies.

All Of This GIF by Lil Helper

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

This is really dumb. Part of the benefit of brining your own water bottle is you can bring one that’s not plastic and that will actually keep water cold. 

This is going to be a “nice idea but poorly executed” just like the wing zone pub last year if not amended. 

They've caught on to people filling them with vodka and resealing them to bring into concerts or festivals that allow a sealed bottle of water to be brought in.

Sorry college coeds, you'll still have stuff liquor bottle minis in your underwear like you've always done.

• Haha 1

This is from MeanGreenSports.com under DATCU Stadium A-Z. This is listed under the prohibited items section. 

• outside food and drink (exception: fans can bring one unopened one‑liter or smaller bottle of water

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This is from MeanGreenSports.com under DATCU Stadium A-Z. This is listed under the prohibited items section. 

• outside food and drink (exception: fans can bring one unopened one‑liter or smaller bottle of water

Love it.  Bring an unopened but empty recyclable bottle of water.  

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I'm not sure, but I think those are the standard rules that apply under normal circumstances. The open, empty bottle is because of the "excessive" heat for this season's opener.  Maybe both will be allowed. I'm sure the people at the gate will have it all sorted by gameday and there won't be utter chaos. 😉

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately, we live in a reality where we have to police adults like they were still children.

More people + more potential weapons = more potential incidents. 

So sure, it's not fair to the 99% who wouldn't do it, but that still leaves 200 potential idiots. And 200 idiots can quickly become a mob. It's unlikely anything would happen, but you have to prepare as if something will happen (because it does happen elsewhere)

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, Snowy said:

Also, an empty plastic bottle of water is still reusable, just doesn't keep it as cold for as long.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Much like umbrellas, schools won't allow things like metal flasks or Yetis because they could be used as a projectile or striking object by a drunk and upset fan.  

Yeah, they lose their shit with flour tortillas. Imagine what they'd do if that happened. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

people have been sneaking in metal flasks since Apogee opened in 2011. I’ve never seen anyone throw their flask at someone, and I’ve seen some really drunk folks at the stadium. 

Why you gotta rat people out like that?!  Not cool!  

No Jack Daniels for you this weekend!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2023 at 9:06 AM, emmitt01 said:

Speaking of Yetis, it pisses me off I can’t order a customized UNT Yeti. 

Want a North Dakota one? Two options. North Dakota State? Two options. SMU, two options. Hell even UTSA has an option. 

https://www.yeti.com/customize/sports-teams-and-designs/collegiate