Weather on Sept. 2nd

Hunter Green

44 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Discussing this weather with another UNT alum yesterday and......he did remind me that UT-Austin will have 100,000 fans show up at DKR Memorial for a 2:30 pm kick-off on Sept. 2'nd -- the same day we kick-off at 3:00 pm.  Their game will be televised so......are Tea-sipper fans tougher than Green'bloods?  

Fans will show up if they feel the team is worth it. The Austin school has had some stinker of attendance in years that they were not up to the standard their fans hold them to. If the team has hype and is doing well, fans will be there no matter if its 75 or 105.

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Discussing this weather with another UNT alum yesterday and......he did remind me that UT-Austin will have 100,000 fans show up at DKR Memorial for a 2:30 pm kick-off on Sept. 2'nd -- the same day we kick-off at 3:00 pm.  Their game will be televised so......are Tea-sipper fans tougher than Green'bloods?  

large.6442SMUGame201839721_DmMOaduUYAMVxwv.jpglarge1.jpg.31fc7a00fd2bb2eced72812353a8e011.jpg.c8422237fca33a4475e13865e74b157c.jpg

No, just dumber.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

large.6442SMUGame201839721_DmMOaduUYAMVxwv.jpglarge1.jpg.31fc7a00fd2bb2eced72812353a8e011.jpg.c8422237fca33a4475e13865e74b157c.jpg

You know Jim. We all have stories about crappy jobs that we had when we were still young and struggling to save some money to go to school. Where I come from, the typical job for teenagers (in the summer) was hauling hay. Now, I didn't do that all the time, but the few times that I did it, I got to help haul alfalfa hay and stack it up to the very top of the metal hay barn in the middle of the summer. As arduous and shitty as that job was (and anyone growing up in rural Texas understand just how shitty hauling alfalfa hay is), it was not as challenging as another job(s) I had to work at with a small construction company in my hometown. It seems that one summer the construction company (Camel Construction) got awarded two flat roof replacement jobs at downtown businesses, plus the job of replacing the flat roof on the High School auditorium.  All these jobs involved scraping off the old roofing and tossing it about two stories down to the pickups, but it also involved conveying the hot tar to those roofs via a pully system and five-gallon buckets.....in the middle of the summer.

So, whilst doing the auditorium job (which took about three days) me and the guys I was working with (the owners of the company...one a UT grad and the other a Harvard grad) had gotten down off the roof completely soaked in sweat and began trudging back to our various trucks. As we started our journey, a gaggle of football coaches passed us on their way to the field house. One of the coaches was a particularly annoying coach who was very fond of the sound of his own voice. He never walked anywhere, he tended to strut from one locale to another.... all the time incessantly chattering in his annoying speech pattern.   As they passed us this (aforementioned) annoying coach spoke up and said "gentlemen-gentlemen, now I don't want any of you to work too hard". Now, the two owners were too exhausted to say anything, and they kept trudging along. But I disliked the guy so much I had to stop and say "Coach, you know something? If you weren't so full of shit, you'd just weight 100lbs"........  His colleagues loved it! And they hooted and laughed at him the rest of the way to the field house......one of them was the head coach Chuck Mills.

Jim, I've never been inspired to say that to anyone else. Let's keep it that way.............😎

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

No, not at all. There's just more of them. Uncle Raymond is a 5th generation methhead. Uncle Raymond also roots for UT because he has been programmed to. Uncle Raymond has zero affiliation to UT. Not an alum. He doesn't have a niece or nephew that attend(ed). His parents didn't attend. Zilch, zero, nobody. This is a giant portion of their fanbase. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

You know Jim. We all have stories about crappy jobs that we had when we were still young and struggling to save some money to go to school. Where I come from, the typical job for teenagers (in the summer) was hauling hay. Now, I didn't do that all the time, but the few times that I did it, I got to help haul alfalfa hay and stack it up to the very top of the metal hay barn in the middle of the summer. As arduous and shitty as that job was (and anyone growing up in rural Texas understand just how shitty hauling alfalfa hay is), it was not as challenging as another job(s) I had to work at with a small construction company in my hometown. It seems that one summer the construction company (Camel Construction) got awarded two flat roof replacement jobs at downtown businesses, plus the job of replacing the flat roof on the High School auditorium.  All these jobs involved scraping off the old roofing and tossing it about two stories down to the pickups, but it also involved conveying the hot tar to those roofs via a pully system and five-gallon buckets.....in the middle of the summer.

So, whilst doing the auditorium job (which took about three days) me and the guys I was working with (the owners of the company...one a UT grad and the other a Harvard grad) had gotten down off the roof completely soaked in sweat and began trudging back to our various trucks. As we started our journey, a gaggle of football coaches passed us on their way to the field house. One of the coaches was a particularly annoying coach who was very fond of the sound of his own voice. He never walked anywhere, he tended to strut from one locale to another.... all the time incessantly chattering in his annoying speech pattern.   As they passed us this (aforementioned) annoying coach spoke up and said "gentlemen-gentlemen, now I don't want any of you to work too hard". Now, the two owners were too exhausted to say anything, and they kept trudging along. But I disliked the guy so much I had to stop and say "Coach, you know something? If you weren't so full of shit, you'd just weight 100lbs"........  His colleagues loved it! And they hooted and laughed at him the rest of the way to the field house......one of them was the head coach Chuck Mills.

Jim, I've never been inspired to say that to anyone else. Let's keep it that way.............😎

Every kid should have to haul hay.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I can pretty well match your hot job but I can't top the coach story.  Between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college, I worked that summer at Acme Brick in Denton.  My first job was to help build a kiln.  We would go up into the kiln after the bricks had somewhat cooled, load them on a treybar (it's an open air wheelbarrow), haul them down the ramp, pulling back on the treybar as hard as you could to keep it from running away with you.  When you got to the bottom you would go to the new kiln and unload by throwing two bricks at a time to the bricklayer who started out where you could just hand them to him until the side of the kiln got to be eight to ten feet in height.  It was about 110 outside and hotter in the kiln where you were loading.  I lost about fifteen pounds that I didn't have to lose and had to buy so many pairs of gloves that I barely made a profit. 

Regarding your story, the late Chuck Mills was one of my favorite people.  I can imagine that he got a good laugh out of that.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I'm throwing the challenge flag on this... 100k? Based on the last 10 years of longhorn football and the opponent of Rice?

Put me down for 85, Bob!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Every kid should have to haul hay.

Well, I tend to agree. But when they hauled hay in Wise County, the pickups they used did not have AC. Can you imagine the reaction you would get if you described the job to some teen today? My grandson would roll his eyes and accuse me of making it up.

• Upvote 2

First game of the season against a P5 after a coaching change should bring in a good crowd. We had almost 15K for a 1-1 squad in 2013 against Ball St after a couple of mediocre seasons under McCarney. Ball St withered and we won. 
But it’s us and NT fans are fair weather fans (literally). We could be 11-0 and have Notre Dame coming in and people would stay home if it was slightly chilly with a 10% chance of rain. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

I'm throwing the challenge flag on this... 100k? Based on the last 10 years of longhorn football and the opponent of Rice?

Put me down for 85, Bob!

Right.

Going back to 2017, here's their home opener start time and attendence:

2017, San Jose State, 2:30 pm, 88k

2018, Tulsa, 7pm, 90k

2019, LA Tech, 7pm, 93k

2020, covid

2021, #23 LA Lafayette, 3:30pm 91k

2022, LA Monroe, 7pm 95k

Now let's also remember they're the only show in town. They're the "pro team" equivalent for Austin, a city with a population of almost 1 million. Let's simmer down on the comparison.

• Upvote 1