Weather on Sept. 2nd

Hunter Green

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, I tend to agree. But when they hauled hay in Wise County, the pickups they used did not have AC. Can you imagine the reaction you would get if you described the job to some teen today? My grandson would roll his eyes and accuse me of making it up.

Or power steering, crank windows and AM radio

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Right.

Going back to 2017, here's their home opener start time and attendence:

2017, San Jose State, 2:30 pm, 88k High of 86 Degrees that day (peak heat)

2018, Tulsa, 7pm, 90k High of 90 Degrees that day (82 at kick)

2019, LA Tech, 7pm, 93k High of 98 Degrees that day (95 at kick)

2020, covid

2021, #23 LA Lafayette, 3:30pm 91k High of 99 Degrees that day (god rest their souls)

2022, LA Monroe, 7pm 95k High of 88 Degrees that day (80 at kick)

Now let's also remember they're the only show in town. They're the "pro team" equivalent for Austin, a city with a population of almost 1 million. Let's simmer down on the comparison.

Breaking it down further, here were the actual highs for those games... 2021, they showed up for the first Sarkisian game... because that game seems like the worst idea ever

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Breaking it down further, here were the actual highs for those games... 2021, they showed up for the first Sarkisian game... because that game seems like the worst idea ever

So you're telling me none of them had highs of 103 at kick and yet even the big bad Texas couldn't sell out home openers?

In 2021, TCU played host to Cal on September 11th with a 2:30 kick-off time and a listed high of 90 degrees. Recorded attendance was 38,631. Amon G Carter has a listed capacity of 50,000. College football attendance is down nationwide. It's hot and there's many ways to watch. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

You know Jim. We all have stories about crappy jobs that we had when we were still young and struggling to save some money to go to school. Where I come from, the typical job for teenagers (in the summer) was hauling hay. Now, I didn't do that all the time, but the few times that I did it, I got to help haul alfalfa hay and stack it up to the very top of the metal hay barn in the middle of the summer. As arduous and shitty as that job was (and anyone growing up in rural Texas understand just how shitty hauling alfalfa hay is), it was not as challenging as another job(s) I had to work at with a small construction company in my hometown. It seems that one summer the construction company (Camel Construction) got awarded two flat roof replacement jobs at downtown businesses, plus the job of replacing the flat roof on the High School auditorium.  All these jobs involved scraping off the old roofing and tossing it about two stories down to the pickups, but it also involved conveying the hot tar to those roofs via a pully system and five-gallon buckets.....in the middle of the summer.

So, whilst doing the auditorium job (which took about three days) me and the guys I was working with (the owners of the company...one a UT grad and the other a Harvard grad) had gotten down off the roof completely soaked in sweat and began trudging back to our various trucks. As we started our journey, a gaggle of football coaches passed us on their way to the field house. One of the coaches was a particularly annoying coach who was very fond of the sound of his own voice. He never walked anywhere, he tended to strut from one locale to another.... all the time incessantly chattering in his annoying speech pattern.   As they passed us this (aforementioned) annoying coach spoke up and said "gentlemen-gentlemen, now I don't want any of you to work too hard". Now, the two owners were too exhausted to say anything, and they kept trudging along. But I disliked the guy so much I had to stop and say "Coach, you know something? If you weren't so full of shit, you'd just weight 100lbs"........  His colleagues loved it! And they hooted and laughed at him the rest of the way to the field house......one of them was the head coach Chuck Mills.

Jim, I've never been inspired to say that to anyone else. Let's keep it that way.............😎

Well, Buffalo Bill, my lips are sealed.  
You did have quite an Interesting job back in the days of your youth. 
In my Gulf Coast home town of Danbury in Brazoria County (near Alvin, Texas) we had rice farms & I spent a few summers of my youth walking in flooded rice paddies while running from blunt tail water moccasins among other things.  I had a shovel on my shoulder & digging a hole  in a levy to move water from one paddy to the adjacent one. The heat, humidity & snakes would keep one alert.  After about 3-4 months of dealing with that we’d be cutting rice near the 4’th of July. 

I drove a Case 10:30 tractor while pulling an auger wagon so I’d pull up beside a Case combine who’d empty its load of rice into my auger wagon & then…..I’d take my load to a rice truck (up from the Texas valley) & then auger out my rice into those trucks.  They would take the rice to huge dryers. 

UNT alum Chuck Mills & (back then) the  Decatur coach as I recall   I read in this thread that Chuck had passed.  He was really one of the good guys & I was sorry to hear he was no longer with us.  
See ya’ on the 2’nd of September, Bill, at  DATCU Stadium. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I feel like there should be a job opening for whoever looked at this and said "yes, 3pm sounds great". This early in the season, there is no reason why kickoff should be earlier than 7pm.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Send that to ESPN

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1

6 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Forecast high for Sept 2nd now 107'. This game should really be moved to 7:00. TV or no.

Who's forecast?  This is what is listed on Accuweather this morning:

image.png.86e5b34db24120b13bd48bd4b327a530.png

Weather.com:

image.png.74eee8981fb532cf5da6af4d4ff2fa65.png

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Downvote 1

107 is dangerous!  I am guessing the Stadium will not let you bring in a bottle of water.  hopefully they have some sort of free hydration stations set up for fans.  Even then, with that many fans, some people will need medical attention due to the heat, I hope the school is prepared. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Who's forecast?  This is what is listed on Accuweather this morning:

image.png.86e5b34db24120b13bd48bd4b327a530.png

Weather.com:

image.png.74eee8981fb532cf5da6af4d4ff2fa65.png

Sure, this isn’t 107, but it’s not like someone is going to look at that and go “thank God it’s only 101/104 and not 107, I’ll totally go now!”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

107 is dangerous!  I am guessing the Stadium will not let you bring in a bottle of water.  hopefully they have some sort of free hydration stations set up for fans.  Even then, with that many fans, some people will need medical attention due to the heat, I hope the school is prepared. 

They have advertised hydration stations on both sides of the stadium.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

3 hours ago, MrAlien said:

They're allowing you to bring in an empty water bottle and they have water stations you can fill them at.

• Upvote 1

On 8/23/2023 at 6:28 PM, Green Crazy said:

They're allowing you to bring in an empty water bottle and they have water stations you can fill them at.

I thought we were allowed one unopened bottle of water per person. 

My phone app is showing a high of 100 and Accuweather.com is still showing 101. Going to be warm, dress appropriately and hydrate properly. Do they still sell the frozen lemonade?  Save the beer for the victory celebration tailgate. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2023 at 2:09 PM, 97and03 said:

First game of the season against a P5 after a coaching change should bring in a good crowd. We had almost 15K for a 1-1 squad in 2013 against Ball St after a couple of mediocre seasons under McCarney. Ball St withered and we won. 
But it’s us and NT fans are fair weather fans (literally). We could be 11-0 and have Notre Dame coming in and people would stay home if it was slightly chilly with a 10% chance of rain. 

If the Mean Green get to 11-0 that place will be packed. ND in town? Standing room only I bet…