My Prediction For Starting QB. (It Has Changed)

TheReal_jayD

7 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Right, because Patrick Mahomes and Cam Ward are indicative of a guy who doesn’t know what a good QB is.

You know what IS indicative of a guy who doesn’t know what a good QB is? A guy who’s never coached quarterbacks.

Morris has been here less than a year, he built a UIW program that went from a laughingstock to a conference champion. If he needs the time to evaluate his best option, I trust him way the hell more than I trust Littrell or Bloesch.

This happens again next year? I’m all in with you. I don’t think it does, because I think Morris knows what the hell he’s doing. Something Littrell showed he didn’t know the moment Harrell walked.

Has less to do with knowing what a good one looks like and more to do with recruiting getting guys with straight up talent level to play the QB position.  

I agree with Cooley.  We’re in for a less than stellar year based on how this QB race is going.  I’m thinking Morris and staff are going to be able to coach these guys up enough to keep us from being cellar dwellers, but any hopes of competing for a title need to be tempered.  Think 2020 when we were coming off of Fine and constantly rotated between Bean and Aune.  That looks like what we are facing now with Rogers and Earle.  Maybe Morris will stick with one or the other longer and allow them to develop more?  Either way, you need someone to grab the job and clearly separate.  That’s not happening.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 4

I’ll find it exciting if Earle or Ruder wins the job because it is all but certain that they would have earned the job. If Rogers won the job for game 1, I would always have that doubt that the starting job was a condition of transfer.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Has less to do with knowing what a good one looks like and more to do with recruiting getting guys with straight up talent level to play the QB position.  

I agree with Cooley.  We’re in for a less than stellar year based on how this QB race is going.  I’m thinking Morris and staff are going to be able to coach these guys up enough to keep us from being cellar dwellers, but any hopes of competing for a title need to be tempered.  Think 2020 when we were coming off of Fine and constantly rotated between Bean and Aune.  That looks like what we are facing now with Rogers and Earle.  Maybe Morris will stick with one or the other longer and allow them to develop more?  Either way, you need someone to grab the job and clearly separate.  That’s not happening.

What has you so certain that our current guys don’t have the talent to play the position?

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

How do you know that hasn’t happened? If I was Morris going into Season 1, I would play this close to the chest. My guess is he knows who the guy is going to be, but is keeping it in his back pocket to keep the other guys motivated and Cal guessing. There’s no real benefit, this far out, to naming a starter publicly.

I agree completely. Let them all continue to push for the starting job until Cal week. Anybody that was here in 2010 knows very well that injuries can happen at the quarterback  position and I think this puts us in a better position to succeed if we were to face significant injuries.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

How is that race going?

What about the race has you with such low expectations?

Why do they need coaching up so much?  Are you maintaining that they don't have the ability to play at this level?

What has Morris said that gives you the impression that we will be rotating QB's?

There are multiple reasons why one could grab the job and clearly separate.  One could be serviceable and the remainders are terrible.  Are you implying that with your statement?  Or, the top three could all be performing at a high level making the decision tough on the coaches.

I don't get the negativity considering we aren't getting a load of information and haven't seen any play yet.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

One benefit of naming a starter is to get him the amount of practice reps, and practice reps with the ones, that give him the best chance of success early on.

Him and the staff knowing who will be the starter and him naming a starter publicly are two different things.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Max Duggan was not the week 1 starter for TCU last year and Stetson Bennett wasn't the week 1 starter for Georgia until his final season of college. Every year before that, somebody else was QB 1 for Georgia and if I'm not mistaken, it took a QB opting out of the season and another getting hurt for him to even get his chance to start back in 2020 or 2021.

All this to say, can we stop saying the year will be average unless a QB separates himself in practice situations prior to ever playing a game? Morris is not Littrell. Clean slate.

Fair point 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Fair enough.  But at least until this last interview, he's made clear that they had not made a choice or begun allocating reps accordingly.

I don't have a 247 premium account because I'm cheap, but Reed Smith did a 1st team rep count for each QB a day or two ago

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Pretty surprised we're at this point with no QB1. 

I am too, but if it’s because we have three really good QB’s and none are separating themselves, I’m ok with it.  If it’s because we have three decent QB’s and they keep hoping someone shows something…could be a long season.

FWIW, I think it’s the first situation I described.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

I am too, but if it’s because we have three really good QB’s and none are separating themselves, I’m ok with it.  If it’s because we have three decent QB’s and they keep hoping someone shows something…could be a long season.

FWIW, I think it’s the first situation I described.

I don't think it's good either way.

In my expert couch-coach opinion, you name a starter so that you can start prepping for WK1.  This means the starter gets starter reps, and gets a chance to be in his best performance mindset leading into the opening whistle.

• Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

In my expert couch-coach opinion, you name a starter so that you can start prepping for WK1.  This means the starter gets starter reps, and gets a chance to be in his best performance mindset leading into the opening whistle.

I think it's more like coaches know and players know, but not Vito or the public yet.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Game week prep starts August 28, I’d bet we will publicly know the starter by then. I doubt very seriously he would do the whole lets see who runs out there for the first series on game day like Littrell did.

Edited by Cr1028

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

What if, in your haste, you name the wrong starter?

In my opinion, nothing brings out the best (and sometimes worst) in a player better than a tight competition.  

And, as @Cr1028 mentioned, game planning for Cal most likely won’t start until the 28th.

• Thanks 1

I will just say this on the QB situation. Morris and Brophy found a hs triple option qb and turned him into a P5 QB. Morris turned a kid thats best sport in HS was baseball into maybe the best quarterback of all time. He has earned the right to gain our trust. If one of the 3 QBs battling for the starting spot right now arent the answer Morris and Brophy will maximize the potential of the best one. Then they will find a replacement next year. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I will just say this on the QB situation. Morris and Brophy found a hs triple option qb and turned him into a P5 QB. Morris turned a kid thats best sport in HS was baseball into maybe the best quarterback of all time. He has earned the right to gain our trust. If one of the 3 QBs battling for the starting spot right now arent the answer Morris and Brophy will maximize the potential of the best one. Then they will find a replacement next year. 

This is what I keep saying. Morris knows QBs. I trust his judgment. 

• Confused 1