AAC leveraging ESPN to lure forgotten 4

Assume we go to a 16-team conference with two 8-team divisions. If you stick to an 8-game conference schedule and always play other teams in your division, that's seven division games plus one inter-division game. It would take eight years to rotate through all teams in the other division. Alternately, you go to a nine-game conference schedule and play seven division plus two inter-division games. Then it would only take four years to rotate through the other division. I know - big league problems just like SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12. Personally, I don't like having to wait four or eight years to play the teams in the other division.

• Upvote 2

On 8/9/2023 at 11:21 PM, shaft said:

The ACC didn't act on Wednesday, so there is real debate if they will expand with Stanford, Cal, and SMU.

The AAC jumps in a says we'll take al 4, but so will MWC.  So which media deal is better the AAC's or MWC and how does the travel cost change with  a regional foot print vs a national one?

Very interesting…pick the MWC for reasonable regional schedule, but less money and academics that I would say in their eyes, below their standards. Pick the AAC and get a problematic national schedule, but more money and schools within the conference on par somewhat to what they’re used to. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/10/2023 at 11:13 AM, greenjoe said:

Would the AAC be 16 teams with the inclusion of the PAC 4 orphans ?  That would reduce the per school payout unless the AAC 16 would be more attractive thereby creating a more lucrative deal ??

I would hope so. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rws69 said:

Assume we go to a 16-team conference with two 8-team divisions. If you stick to an 8-game conference schedule and always play other teams in your division, that's seven division games plus one inter-division game. It would take eight years to rotate through all teams in the other division. Alternately, you go to a nine-game conference schedule and play seven division plus two inter-division games. Then it would only take four years to rotate through the other division. I know - big league problems just like SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12. Personally, I don't like having to wait four or eight years to play the teams in the other division.

The AAC needs to get creative in its scheduling. What if every first game was a conference game? Or every first game was a non conference game against a team from the other division? When most every other schools are playing a lackluster first game, the AAC should try to own that first weekend. Take over PAC after dark. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...