PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

35 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Lookit ACC is too far won’t work.  PAC 4 will add 2 from AAC to get to 6 and then take the best of the Mountain West in 2025 to get to 10 teams and get an upgraded TV deal.

And why would those 2 from AAC and the best of the Mountain West do that? And who would pay this collection of teams an upgraded TV deal? And why would they do that? 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Lookit ACC is too far won’t work.  PAC 4 will add 2 from AAC to get to 6 and then take the best of the Mountain West in 2025 to get to 10 teams and get an upgraded TV deal.

No one watched the PAC when it had the so called big schools. By the time the PAC comes on at night many people are burned out on football after watching it from 11:am. People are either partying or going to bed. 

Adding the best of the MWC isn’t going to somehow miraculous awe the networks into offering some upgraded TV deal. 

Ain’t going to happen. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If you truly hate SMU……you want to watch them do this.  Really pay their way into the ACC and watch what happens next. 

We’ll be back in the same conference with them in a few year only they’ll have spent all those millions to end up right back where they belong. 

Inevitable. 

SEC swipin Clemson, FSU without doubt. Possibly Miami. They'll go after UNC and possibly Duke to kake them whole in basketball. I know the Big10 wants Virginia and will probably nab VaTech as well. At this point does Penn get their cronies to block Pitt? If not, Pitt will be in. The left will be stranded. GoR is tight and they're all just standing around staring at each other eaiting to see who figures out how to break the clad. The rest will follow suit and the SEC and Big10 will be there to gobble up what they want. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Again tons of schools don’t have FBS football, educate thousands of students, and continue to grow.  FBS programs aren’t paying for themselves in increase donations to general scholarships funds and other non athletic funds.  There are far more universities that don’t play FBS than do play FBS.  Even UT could drop FCS tomorrow and it would have NO impact on their academics.  And even though they are rich with state funding and endowments they still ask for donations.  UTSA was a decent, large and growing school my ex girlfriend graduated from there before there was UTSA football.  So let’s stop the nonsense of trying to justify the need for any of these programs to exist. They are EXTRA-curricular to the mission of an institution of higher learning.  I love football.  I love my school. And I love Mean Green football.  But I see what going on and I prepared for the worse.  This is the beginning of the end and a system steeped in such hypocrisy with no commitment than the biggest check is going to crumble when completely exposed to the free market.  This is what happened to the PAC 12.

We’ll just have agree to disagree.

Also, this is not the beginning of the end.  It’s simply the reaction to the FBS agreeing to a 12 team playoff model that gave 6 auto bids to the highest ranked conference champs.  Either TV jumped in and said they wouldn’t pay for a G5 getting far in this new playoff (NCAA Bball tourney proves tv numbers drop when blue bloods don’t make final 4) OR the power leagues decided to consolidate to a smaller number of conferences, rewrite the playoff model again and limit who can make it in the first place.  Or could be both.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Again tons of schools don’t have FBS football, educate thousands of students, and continue to grow.  FBS programs aren’t paying for themselves in increase donations to general scholarships funds and other non athletic funds.  There are far more universities that don’t play FBS than do play FBS.  Even UT could drop FCS tomorrow and it would have NO impact on their academics.  And even though they are rich with state funding and endowments they still ask for donations.  UTSA was a decent, large and growing school my ex girlfriend graduated from there before there was UTSA football.  So let’s stop the nonsense of trying to justify the need for any of these programs to exist. They are EXTRA-curricular to the mission of an institution of higher learning.  I love football.  I love my school. And I love Mean Green football.  But I see what going on and I prepared for the worse.  This is the beginning of the end and a system steeped in such hypocrisy with no commitment than the biggest check is going to crumble when completely exposed to the free market.  This is what happened to the PAC 12.

What’s happening to college football right now is a reflection of what’s happening in the world. Everyone is jockeying for position as the world moves closer to a centralized government based on power, greed and control. Thats exactly what’s going on with all this realignment in college football. Power, greed and control. 

But it’s actually futile because it’s really all temporary. It won’t last and it won’t succeed.  

However, there’s no reason not to take the family to the games and have fun as long as there’s still football at any level. 

GO MEAN GREEN. 

And yes, time is of the essence. It always was. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 3
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Either TV jumped in and said they wouldn’t pay for a G5 getting far in this new playoff (NCAA Bball tourney proves tv numbers drop when blue bloods don’t make final 4)

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/ncaa-final-four-ratings-history-most-watched-games-cbs-tbs-nbc/

Look through this. There is no noticeable trend that validates this claim when the final 4 included Memphis, Butler (Horizon), Wichita State, VCU, and George Mason. This is just propaganda spewed by media. UConn - SDSU was the least viewed championship game with 14.69 million viewers but championship games have mostly been down the past 5 years. Villanova - Michigan had 15.967 million in 2018. Personally, I tune out of March Madness once the blue bloods are all that's left. I can't be the only one

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Looks like SMU is still trying to crawl over glass and shake their money maker to go anywhere with a “power” label.

If SMU goes to the ACC with Stanford and Cal, and the AAC picks up Oregon State and Washington State, I’d consider it a net win for the AAC. 

Then add Colo. St. and Air Force and you have a pretty good conference.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

San Diego State's "New PAC-12" proposal consisting of remaining PAC-12, parts of Mountain West, and parts of the American appears to be dead.  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/san-diego-state-fails-in-attempt-to-create-new-power-five-conference-with-pac-12-mountain-west-aac-members/

So it really becomes a question if the remaining PAC-2 (Standford & Cal) want to join the ACC to keep P5 designation or if they can join the Mountain West and guilt the rest of the NCAA into giving out a new P5 designation.

SMU is probably still in play for either alignment, but I can't see it impacting any other schools in the American. 

The biggest wild card is Notre Dame.  Does the contraction to P4 help the Irish? If so they can offer up an alliance to the ACC to incentive the remaining PAC-12 to make the cross country flights and make it easier for ND to get into the playoffs.

Edited by shaft
typo
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Average home field attendance. WSU 26185, OSU 28,400, Cal 38,596, Stanford 35,684. These numbers are dismal when you consider the level of competition visiting their home field. The biggest issue for the PAC12 and MWC has always been their time zone.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

This. 

This guy is just a fan, but he’s advocating for Oregon State and Washington State to the American. 

If those two come, I could easily see the top MWC schools joining when their exit fees drop in a couple years. I’d personally hold on Louisiana and Coastal Carolina to see if anyone of note from the ACC needs a home if/when that conference is poached. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

if anyone of note from the ACC needs a home if/when that conference is poached. 

I don't think FSU and Clemson are going to the SEC anytime soon.

ESPN already has FSU and Clemson in their ACC deal at a lower rate than the SEC-ESPN deal. They don't need those markets since they have the University of Florida and the University of South Carolina. Why would they pay those 2 schools more to go from the ACC to the SEC where they'll have to pay them more? Unless the B1G opens up some more which causes a negotiation battle between Fox and ESPN for those 2 schools, they're likely stuck in the ACC with the current deal through 2036.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Cal/Stan are already a long shot to the ACC, where is the money going to come from for them to join? IIRC ESPN controls the ACC, why would they shell out another $40-60M a year if they didn't already want to pay the PAC those numbers? 

I agree.  Plus, many teams in the ACC are already yelping about wanting more money.  They don't want to split the pie anymore.  

• Upvote 1

This is weird that Stanford is talking about resolution by the end of the week yet everything is pretty quiet from the conferences. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. ACC taking SMU makes no sense on its own. Cal would be royally screwed if the ACC took Stanford and SMU. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

I am seeing a lot of stories all across the nation discussing a “merger” of the PAC 4 and the AAC.  I believe that this could happen and with our commissioner I think he can make it happen. 

Have you seen anything recently? I saw 1 story about but not much else. I would be very much for this

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

The new absolute funniest scenario is SMU forgoing revenue for 5 years then ACC folding/lose their best schools in that time.

I'm totally out of the loop on this ACC stuff and just watching, but I can't say 100% that the scenario you describe would absolutely still be a complete and total win for SMU that nobody would be made about vs spending the next 5 years in ACC and keeping the $7M/yr.

• Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1