PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Aresco better start trying to pry co st and AF. This has turned into a game of the fittest. Start stealing from them before they steal from us. 

Agree 100% and would love for Colorado State and Air For e to be in the AAC with us. However, the barrier is the MWC exit fee cost. Can they really afford to pay $34M to enter a conference that will probably only give them a partial share of revenue for the first few years?

Aresco is probably more likely to get Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State because they don’t have any exit fees and are on a sinking ship. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I’d be ok with it; no San Antonio Community College

I share the same feelings toward them but I would almost rather have them than Rice. Rice is a great academic institution, but doesn’t care about athletics nor funding it correctly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, NT93 said:

What’s worse than this is if it happens and we’re not on the list.  That’s been my fear all along.

If the BIG10 and BIG12 have their way, I think either the AAC or MWC will absorb Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State at this point  

I just don’t think the PAC12 will have enough credibility remaining for AAC or MWC schools to pay high exit fees only to enter an unknown and unstable situation.

If I’m Aresco right now, I’m going after the four remaining PAC12 schools to get to 18 football schools. If/When I get them, I go for Colorado State and Air Force to get to 20 and solidify the AAC as the fifth strongest conference that would likely surpass the ACC if/when FSU and others leave. 

If Stanford decides to go independent, but I can get the other three PAC12 schools + Colorado State and Air Force, I fill the 20th spot with Army. 

What you get: 20 teams. Great mix of large public schools, small private schools, and military academies. Linear TV deal across all four continental time zones with good regional matchups and rivalries. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Going independent, dropping to FCS, or dropping football all seem unlikely for the schools left over. 

Culturally and academically it just doesn’t make a lot of sense for Stanford and Cal to insist on playing FBS.  If they want to I think Stanford and Cal could go independent.   They could do a scheduling alliance with Notre Dame and Army.   Who knows how long UMass and  UConn are independent but they are decent schedule filler from a revenue standpoint for these new “big 3” independents.  WSU and OSU have to go the the a MWC/Pac mashup conference.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Agree 100% and would love for Colorado State and Air For e to be in the AAC with us. However, the barrier is the MWC exit fee cost. Can they really afford to pay $34M to enter a conference that will probably only give them a partial share of revenue for the first few years?

Aresco is probably more likely to get Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State because they don’t have any exit fees and are on a sinking ship. 

There may be a workaround to that. If a bunch of teams go to the PAC there’s probably some kind of clause that allows teams to exit. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, meanrob said:

If we could get AFA and CSU to the AAC I’d rather take that.  I live out West and wouldn’t want us to be in this. 

100% this. I’m not sure how anyone could see what’s happening to the Pac and the MWC media contract and think going west is the play. At most, you take in the Pac-4 or preferably Cal, Stanford, CSU, and AFA. Probably Cal/Stanford now and CSU/AFA when 2026 rolls around. 

47 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Culturally and academically it just doesn’t make a lot of sense for Stanford and Cal to insist on playing FBS.  If they want to I think Stanford and Cal could go independent.  

Cal has a newly renovated stadium they have to pay for and I think I remember reading somewhere that Stanford shot down the idea of ever going independent. Could be wrong on that one. Neither will drop to FCS imo. 

Edited by ColoradoEagle

2 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

With only four schools left, they’re going to get pulled the other direction. Go regional and join the MWC, step up from the MWC to AAC. 

Going independent, dropping to FCS, or dropping football all seem unlikely for the schools left over. 

No current P5 would volunteer to lose that status and go to a G5 conference.

Any G5 would volunteer to join any current P5 conference, even a dying PAC. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

I wouldn’t mind this, but it would be terrible if it happens and we’re not on the list.  That’s been my fear all along.

Its a fairly random list. You could easily swap UNT and UTSA. Or some of the MWC schools on the list (for example bringing in Air force instead of someone else). Add that it is not a given that Cal and Stanford are going to the B1G. If the PAC survives that IS dangerous. However it is all going so fast, and there is soo much uncertainty for potentially joining schools, that the pull the other way seems fairly likely. Who will spend 34 million to join that league. Or even just 17. If you are left behind, at least you are gonna be made whole by exit fees, and even if teams leave for a new PAC, the AAC and MWC will not implode completely. Staying is the far safer play at this point in time

Many scenarios remain in play. But most likely to me is Wa and Oregon State to MWC, Cal and Stanford B1G or independent (gonna be playing Notre Dame and each other every year if independent)

• Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, Rudy said:

Excuse me.  I mean conferences of the night. Hookers is such a derogatory term. 

SMU really is going all-in to legalize prostitution in Dallas.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/appeals-court-judge-rules-controversial-dallas-prostitution-ordinance-unconstitutional/3306034/

The judge:

Screenshot_20230804_053300_Chrome.jpg

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Well, one thing this is accomplishing...the six that were trying to go to the Pacific from the AAC likely won't have a conference to go to.  So, if everyone stays, let's build the AAC.  

This is my thought, those teams wanted to he "P5", we can be that. Go take 2 or 3 of the best that's left 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

No current P5 would volunteer to lose that status and go to a G5 conference.

Any G5 would volunteer to join any current P5 conference, even a dying PAC. 

The thing is…all the G5/P5 talk is fabricated. There’s no more “P5” talk after this. The media will shift to a “P4” narrative and then a “P2” narrative. So current “P5s” need to face this reality and ensure they put themselves i. The best situation possible regardless of nomenclature. 

• Upvote 4

I would much rather us position ourselves to go east than west at this point. Finding a way to end up with the ACC remnants (assuming it starts to fall apart like the PAC) seems way better than aligning with the PAC remnants. I feel like the east coast is better for media contracts. I also don’t get the fascination with the service academies. They just don’t really move the needle for me.

• Upvote 4