Will Football become obsolete?

With inflation at all time highs, a myriad of social issues world wide is it possible that football might become obsolete as people move to other venues for entertainment? 

Or could it be just the opposite as people flock to the stadiums looking for some sort of resemblance of the past when everything seemed easier and less complicated? 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 4
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

Inflation is not at an all time high.  That distinction belongs to the Jimmy Carter era.  It only seems high now because we just came out of a very low inflation period ( within the last 2 years) where we enjoyed record low un-employment and very low prices and “supply chain” wasn’t a common term.  

North Texas football and basketball is my “go to” for entertainment.  I would not walk across the street to see pro football or basketball and perhaps those entertainment options might be at risk.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Cougar King said:

If my trolling was low quality, I wouldn't have made a name for myself. I would have just been forgotten and thrown to the wayside.

We have some new contestants in the trolling competition (Smu) on the board this year.   

But you'll always be special to us...

Donald Trump No Contest GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Cougar King said:

If my trolling was low quality, I wouldn't have made a name for myself. I would have just been forgotten and thrown to the wayside.

The only thing that stands out about you here is being out of place.  You can always go hang out at Big12 rival sports.  But I suspect you already know that your trolling won’t stand out there.   Because you will have to rely on the quality of what you say in the troll rather than being uniquely out of place.  

I believe a market correction for football is coming if the sport doesn’t grow internationally.  And international growth is something I don’t see happening.  The younger generations in the USA are less engaged in sports.  Plenty of talent will be in the pipeline for generations.  But maintain DII football across the country maybe more challenging for schools across the country.  For FBS I see a big market correction for media rights payout for football.  Without the captive audience of free broadcast TV and traditional cable viewers shrinking, I think media rights buyers today will regret their contracts by 2028.  I suspect I lot of diehard fans even hear are watching less just not everything is easily available on one platform you can easily surf between games.  Not to mention some rivalries being changed or straight up ended by conference realignment.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

The only thing that stands out about you here is being out of place.  You can always go hang out at Big12 rival sports.  But I suspect you already know that your trolling won’t stand out there.   Because you will have to rely on the quality of what you say in the troll rather than being uniquely out of place.  

I'm sure your brothers, especially Tito would disagree with you. 

• Haha 2

Obsolete is a bit strong. But the marketplace is changing entertainment….and how we take it in  

Look at the writers strike and now actors. These big corporations and media companies. The models are changing. Streaming and the demands of the customers are changing and upsetting a model that was in place for a long long time. I think we were headed here eventually And Covid accelerated it. 

not sure what the future holds. As for Hollywood…it will be interesting to see the results. Big corporations (Disney, etc.) aren’t making the money so they’re making cuts at the same time, the rank and file want more. What I think could happen…..is they all wake up and realize that what they do for a living is not really all that important to the average American. They have other things to worry about. And they’re not going to prioritize spending their money on the product these folks produce. The market will dictate it. 

Something has to give….