Who will Replace SMU in the AAC?

Clinetort

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

I don't think P5 is an official designation. It's an old hold over from the BCS era for the AQ conferences. 

I think you are right and others have stated that the unofficial P5 designation will fade away very fast with USC, Oklahoma, Texas, and UCLA cutting all ties with their historical regional conference.  Even the Big 10 and SEC won't resemble their old conferences outside of a few rivalry games.   UT vs TAMU being associated with the SEC just doesn't sound right.   And UCLA vs USC being a Big 10 game sounds even worse.    These conferences are way too big IMO.   And it diminishes conference games as a whole.   The magic number for conference football membership is 12 for me.  Far too many OOC matchups have never happened.   Texas has never played FSU.   Alabama has never played Arizona.  Washington has never played Georgia.  The fact that two titans LSU and Michigan have never played each other is ridiculous.  Those just came off the top of my head and verified them on winsipedia.com.   Maybe we get a lot of these matchups in a playoff.  However, I believe seeing these games in those great home stadiums in September and October are just better. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:35 AM, ForneyGreen said:

Agreed - without SMU, the AAC would still have 12 football members (if the SMU thing really happens at some point).  Our new conference was definitely prepared.

If Air Force or Colorado State petitioned to join, I'm sure they would get serious consideration.  Otherwise, the new AAC will be just fine and doesn't need to reach to grab another school just as a back fill.

Actually, that won't happen.  Both wanted to join the American but the Mountain West stepped in and long story short got both to sign an agreement that they would not change conferences.  

The reality is we already need to be planning our next move. Of course, we also need to make sure we're competitive across the board, but I'm sure Memphis, USF and others are probably wanting out too. The MWC teams we'd like in the AAC, as mentioned here and the other SMU thread, will probably take an invite to fill up the decimated Pac-12. I am seriously worried we will be looking at a CUSA 2.0 in a few years.

Interesting place to be in for administrators, as it looks like there will just be 3-4 superconferences in a few years. I honestly hope we can position ourselves to be taken a look at when/if the Big XII needs to expand again.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

The reality is we already need to be planning our next move. Of course, we also need to make sure we're competitive across the board, but I'm sure Memphis, USF and others are probably wanting out too. The MWC teams we'd like in the AAC, as mentioned here and the other SMU thread, will probably take an invite to fill up the decimated Pac-12. I am seriously worried we will be looking at a CUSA 2.0 in a few years.

Interesting place to be in for administrators, as it looks like there will just be 3-4 superconferences in a few years. I honestly hope we can position ourselves to be taken a look at when/if the Big XII needs to expand again.

For Memphis that's an understatement, you can practically smell the desperation to join a P5 from the Memphis fans. 

This is why we need to invest like crazy and build ourselves up like UCF/Cincy/Houston. Once the ACC GOR expires all hell might break loose and we need to make ourselves attractive to whatever possible opportunity opens. The ACC might be torn apart by the SEC/Big10, and USF/Memphis would be prime candidates. We need to be ready for whatever happens. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I put my trust in Aresco to see us and the AAC through these turbulent waters. Judy? I'm glad we're away from that clown show.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Last fall the Big10 Commish and several writers speculated that the Big10 and SEC would create 20-team Super Conferences.  I think the Big12 would like the same with expansion adding PAC schools.   Would a poached ACC in 2035 align with the AAC?  

More than likely the ACC poaches the AAC, even if those two conferences took all 8 from the ACC they would still have 6 schools and would have enough power and name recognition to make the AAC schools jump. Even in the scenarios we are seeing for the PAC12, if WSU/OSU are the only ones left they will take on the entire MWC and continue as the Pac12/14. We have never seen a smaller conference eat a bigger one, or align itself with one, so unless something truly unexpected happens that's the order of things. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

More than likely the ACC poaches the AAC, even if those two conferences took all 8 from the ACC they would still have 6 schools and would have enough power and name recognition to make the AAC schools jump. Even in the scenarios we are seeing for the PAC12, if WSU/OSU are the only ones left they will take on the entire MWC and continue as the Pac12/14. We have never seen a smaller conference eat a bigger one, or align itself with one, so unless something truly unexpected happens that's the order of things. 

That is all just fake asset value, based on a conference name, not membership or real power.   We have the 20th version of the WAC now, and soon the 10th version of CUSA.  At some point this conference ranking system by name alone, or past P5 and G5 references, must be updated.  There is too much movement now to assign a conference food chain based on old memberships.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

That is all just fake asset value, based on a conference name, not membership or real power.   We have the 20th version of the WAC now, and soon the 10th version of CUSA.  At some point this conference ranking system by name alone, or past P5 and G5 references, must be updated.  There is too much movement now to assign a conference food chain based on old memberships.

Part of it is name, but part of it is also media contracts and bowl tie ins. As long as those conferences can keep those above others then they will hold the power at the negotiating table. Pac12 has these tie-ins. That's a very solid bowl lineup and all on linear cable.

• 1. Rose Bowl: Jan. 2, 2 p.m. Pacific time, Pasadena, Calif., ESPN – Pac-12 vs. Big Ten.
  • 2. Alamo Bowl: Dec. 29, 6 p.m. Pacific time, San Antonio, Texas, ESPN – Pac-12 vs. Big 12.
  • 3. Holiday Bowl: Dec. 28, 5 p.m. Pacific time, San Diego, FOX/FS1 – Pac-12 vs. ACC
  • 4. Las Vegas Bowl: Dec. 17, 4:30 p.m. Pacific time, Las Vegas, ABC – Pac-12 vs. SEC
  • 5. Sun Bowl: Dec. 30, 11 a.m. Pacific time, El Paso, Texas, CBS – Pac-12 vs. Notre Dame/ACC
  • 6. LA Bowl: Dec. 17, 12:30 p.m. Pacific time, Inglewood, Calif., ABC – Pac-12 vs. Mountain West.
  • First Responder Bowl -- The Pac-12 might occupy a spot in this Dec. 27 bowl in University Park, Texas, against a team from the ACC, American Athletic or Big 12.

Compared to MWC:

• – Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs MAC
  • – Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl vs Pac-12
  • – New Mexico Bowl vs Conference USA
  • – Barstool Arizona Bowl vs MAC
  • – EasyPost Hawai’i Bowl vs Conference USA

AAC fairs a little bit better:

• – Fenway Bowl vs ACC
  • – Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl vs Conference USA
  • – Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs ACC
  • – Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl vs Army

The American Athletic Conference will get a chance at putting four teams in these bowls …

– PUBG MOBILE New Mexico Bowl vs Mountain West
– RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl vs Group of Five or Army
– SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs ACC, Big 12, or Pac-12
– Tailgreeter Cure Bowl vs Group of Five or Army
– TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs SEC
– Frisco Bowl vs Group of Five or Army
– Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs ACC, Pac-12, or SEC

All that to say it comes down to money. They have it and we don't, so until they lose those contracts they will have the leverage in negotiating. 

6C

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

My other post was getting long so I wanted to create a 2nd one about the bolded quote about the 6 ACC schools remaining. Here is a map of the ACC:

4w8u5fddalm51.png

Let's say the SEC takes FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, and the Big10 takes Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and ND (if they say no it could be anyone but I'll say BC to make things easy. That still leaves Miami, GT, NC State, Duke, WF, and VT. Can you really say those team names don't hold power? There's just no way those teams get absorbed by the AAC. They will take Temple, Memphis, USF, Navy, and whoever else has made a name for themselves in the G5. 

Just now, DentonStang said:

Seems likely the ACC remnants and the Truck Stop Conference (B12) attempt to raid each other, with the loser raiding the AAC.

Have to admire you guys for now trying to take shots at the Big 12 locations. Even with all of your deep-pocket backers, you couldn't buy your way in, and you still act like somehow they are beneath you. You are a credit to the delusional Pony fans everywhere.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, wardly said:

I assume market size is important otherwise Rice would not be in the AAC. Atlanta would be a good get with Georgia State and 28,000 students plus it fits the AAC demographics.

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Should be considered as a future add. A south east addition would be great.

Don't know why these posts are getting down votes/pukes. I'd welcome Georgia State, and would love to visit Atlanta every year. Easy direct flight on Delta... if anyone needs a Delta AMEX let me know so I can get some referral flyer miles!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Don't know why these posts are getting down votes/pukes. I'd welcome Georgia State, and would love to visit Atlanta every year. Easy direct flight on Delta... if anyone needs a Delta AMEX let me know so I can get some referral flyer miles!!

If you can’t get a MWC to flip I think they would be a good choice. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 10:06 AM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I have not had that experience.  A little redneck, maybe, but usually very friendly. La Tech puts good teams out to play, and it is an easy 3 hour drive. 

I would welcome La Tech. 

Frankly, so would I.  But Mike Aresco is trying to get the larger markets to increase the TV revenue and Monroe LA is not a big market.

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2023 at 8:21 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

No, I’m not feeling Texas State at all.  Much rather prefer Army.  If we allow Texas State in they will be competing with us for recruits .

Well, if you've noticed lately TSU-SM is competing with us for recruits but we are winning most of those battles by being in a better conference.  I would take them if they are the court of last resort but otherwise I hope that we can talk Army into the AAC again.