How do we win the conference ?

greenjoe

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

To win the regular season, we would need to finish ahead of FAU.

For that to happen, it would require a collapse by FAU.  That would be very uncharacteristic of them, and highly unlikely.

I would like more to people to care about UAB.  Jelly is playing again, they have the best front court in the league.  Big reasons they took care of FAU and are on a 4 game winning streak.

Be grateful we are at home on Thursday, and I do not consider this a gimme.  Blazers will be coming and flexing their muscle.

Yes.  Finishing on top in conference is really not the reward because the NCAA bid is given to the CUSA Tourney champ.  To better our chances in the Conference Tourney as the #2 seed we need to beat UAB Thursday.   That moves them closer to the 4 seed and playing FAU in the Semis, instead of us playing UAB then FAU.  

• Upvote 4

Here's a fun hypothetical for the committee:

Let's say UAB wins the tournament and gets the auto-bid.  How will the committee be viewing FAU?

1) At that point, if they lost to someone other than UAB, that means they have a UAB loss and loss 2 to, say, UNT.  I think in this scenario, the committee might seek reason(s) to keep them out.

2) If FAU's CUSA tournament loss is to UAB - 2nd loss to UAB, and the UAB team that wins the auto-bid, I think FAU's position is stronger than the previous scenario.  In this scenario, UAB is probably on a tremendous roll, and as long as these 2 CUSA losses are only at the hands of UAB, I think the committee would look more favorably on them.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Let's say UAB wins the tournament and gets the auto-bid.  How will the committee be viewing FAU?

1) At that point, if they lost to someone other than UAB, that means they have a UAB loss and loss 2 to, say, UNT.  I think in this scenario, the committee might seek reason(s) to keep them out.

2) If FAU's CUSA tournament loss is to UAB - 2nd loss to UAB, and the UAB team that wins the auto-bid, I think FAU's position is stronger than the previous scenario.  In this scenario, UAB is probably on a tremendous roll, and as long as these 2 CUSA losses are only at the hands of UAB, I think the committee would look more favorably on them.

Lemme Calculate GIF - Math Calculations Thinking - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 2

My bigger fear is how does Grant keep our kids motivated for another NIT run if they come up short in Frisco?  It should seem easy knowing that we went toe to toe with UVA last year and they are going to be a top seed in this years big dance!  But nobody ever sets a goal to go to the NIT.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1

I'd think it'd be easier to do since we'd be getting in as an NIT at-large.  If we won the regular season again but lost in Frisco for a second year in a row, then I think it'd be much tougher.

Hell, at this point an NIT berth isn't even guaranteed.  

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'd think it'd be easier to do since we'd be getting in as an NIT at-large.  If we won the regular season again but lost in Frisco for a second year in a row, then I think it'd be much tougher.

Hell, at this point an NIT berth isn't even guaranteed.  

The NIT doesn’t usually leave teams out wit 20+ wins and history of success.  We will get a NIT bid if we do t win the tournament.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

The NIT doesn’t usually leave teams out wit 20+ wins and history of success.  We will get a NIT bid if we do t win the tournament.

Actually, they do all the time.  Right now we are projected s a 7th seed in the NIT.  That's not a lot of breathing room.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think FAU will have to win out to make that scenario possible, they have a fairly weak schedule ( @Middle Tenn probably their toughest), but if they have 1 hick-up they will drop out of the top 25 in NET. 

Should it play out that way, and should FAU loose in the tournament final to UAB or UNT, will the committee award them an at large bid?  I think the committee will look at how other conference tournaments play out, and pick which ever teams finished strongest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, 2020 Sucks said:

Agree.  An OT loss to Virginia was a good showing.  They should remember us.  25-27 wins is impressive.