Breaking: KD Davis Tore ACL During Frisco Bowl

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So it's okay for you to have your opinion and tell people how they should respond, but but not okay for them to have their opinions? Sure this is not a news flash, but people are going to have different opinions? 

Sure, have your opinion where you trash players who sit out bowl games for health concerns. That's your right. Don't be surprised when those same players don't remain involved with UNT in their later years, though. Plenty of players and family lurk on here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Let's give players credit for signing up for and knowing the risks/rewards of playing major college football.  They aren't forced to play.  But most of us fans very much appreciate it when they honor their "full commitment" to the program, including Bowl games as a reward for their seasons!!   Injuries can happen anytime, in a house, on a road, etc...doesn't mean you opt out of life because of fear from them!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

39 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Sure, have your opinion where you trash players who sit out bowl games for health concerns. That's your right. Don't be surprised when those same players don't remain involved with UNT in their later years, though. Plenty of players and family lurk on here.

And plenty of players play every last game (and even though they don't always say it, not all of them support teammates not playing). So in your world, players can play or not and come and go as they please; but we shouldn't say anything? Fan's can buy tickets, merchandise, and make donations, but they should not be able to comment?

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

And plenty of players play every last game (and even though they don't always say it, not all of them support teammates not playing). So in your world, players can play or not and come and go as they please; but we shouldn't say anything? Fan's can buy tickets, merchandise, and make donations, but they should not be able to comment?

The players aren't your property. Buying tickets, merchandise, etc... does not mean you're owed a performance by individual players just like taking somebody out on a date and paying for their meal doesn't entitle you to sleep with them.

Players can come and go as they please... well, that's between them and the coaches. If the player is leaving at the end of the season anyways, there isn't a whole lot you can do to stop them from opting out unless they make it required by the scholarship which I don't think you can do. Who can prove somebody isn't hurt, nursing an injury, under the weather, or anything else? You aren't entitled to a certain player getting on the field just like that player isn't entitled to playing time if a coach sits them for whatever reason. It's a two way street and it appears people are upset players are now doing what's best for them.

Anyways, good talk. I know many of y'all disagree. The players still get a voice, IMO.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The players aren't your property. Buying tickets, merchandise, etc... does not mean you're owed a performance by individual players just like taking somebody out on a date and paying for their meal doesn't entitle you to sleep with them.

Players can come and go as they please... well, that's between them and the coaches. If the player is leaving at the end of the season anyways, there isn't a whole lot you can do to stop them from opting out unless they make it required by the scholarship which I don't think you can do. Who can prove somebody isn't hurt, nursing an injury, under the weather, or anything else? You aren't entitled to a certain player getting on the field just like that player isn't entitled to playing time if a coach sits them for whatever reason. It's a two way street and it appears people are upset players are now doing what's best for them.

Anyways, good talk. I know many of y'all disagree. The players still get a voice, IMO.

I understand your points, but I also happen to believe, especially as the game has changed, that fans also have the right to voice their feelings, positive or negative.  

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Nobody knows if he was a 3rd day pick but the NFL teams that would have selected him there, not even KD. Only they know if he was a draft pick before the bowl and after. Only they know if playing against Boise in the bowl game helped or hurt his draft stock. I imagine scouts would’ve encouraged him to play because more data is always better for their evaluations.

DeAndre Torrey sat out the bowl game last year and didn’t get drafted. Would putting up 150+ on Miami (OH) have gotten him on a draft board? Probably not but like KD, only he knows if it was worth it to skip as KD will have his opinion on if it was worth it to play. Based on the wording of his tweet, it seems he has no regrets.

Torrey had how many ACL surgeries? How many other injuries did he have in his career…

25 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I understand your points, but I also happen to believe, especially as the game has changed, that fans also have the right to voice their feelings, positive or negative.  

Fans can voice their opinions just like people have here in the forum have with if he had skipped or not skipped…

this just goes back to the worst case scenario that KD got hurt, meanwhile we can see why players such as the UAB RB who went on the trip and sat out. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Somewhat off topic here, but didn’t I read here previously that KD had indicated after the bowl game that he was all right ?

After looking, the topic was “Thank you KD Davis” and the specific post I was referring to was made on December 25.  VENSON posted an Facebook (?) post from Davis that he is “all good.”

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Somewhat off topic here, but didn’t I read here previously that KD had indicated after the bowl game that he was all right ?

After looking, the topic was “Thank you KD Davis” and the specific post I was referring to was made on December 25.  VENSON posted an Facebook (?) post from Davis that he is “all good.”

I remember that too

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not sure I follow. I don’t recall Torrey or KD having season-ending injuries prior to KD’s Bowl injury.

Given how his NFL career turned out, I would bet that Torrey would have loved to play in that bowl game.   Regrets can go both ways.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, NT80 said:

Injuries can happen anytime, in a house, on a road, etc...doesn't mean you opt out of life because of fear from them!

This is kind of how I feel.  I mean, what are the odds of getting severely injured in a game?  If you consider all of the players who play in all of the games throughout the college football season, the odds of sustaining a serious injury have to be extremely low.  Not astronomical, but very low.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4

Kids sign a scholarship. In exchange for playing the sport of their choice they receive numerous benefits including free education, housing, books, healthcare, clothing, meals, tutoring, recovery treatment, etc… Choosing to play or not can be their choice but maybe they should give up some of their “benefits” in return.  They have a part in the agreement as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 1/6/2023 at 1:38 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

Never said anyone could for see it. If a kid want to play let them. If they choose not to let them have their choice. KD could have just cost himself hundred of thousands of dollars. But if had opted out he would have been burn at the stakes. 

If money is the only factor in playing late season games, how many players with draft prospects should sit out of the game Monday…for a stupid trophy. That doesn’t give those guys a big jump in the draft.  Just walk away and wait for the draft. 

they are a college football player…line was said earlier…finish the job with your teammates  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/6/2023 at 6:11 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

And I glossed over you using Damar Hamlin as a puppet for your argument on a previous thread. But, it's downright trashy for you to do such. 

I obviously disagree.  These players risk everything and your "approval of their loyalty" or whatever doesn't mean squat.  And Damar isn't a puppet for the argument because I could have used anyone that suffered a major quality of life impairing injury playing football.  These recently created money grab created Bowl Games have always been stupid.   And judging a player at the end of his college career by his decision to play in one of these meaningless bowls is more stupid these bowls.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

fans also have the right to voice their feelings, positive or negative.  

Clearly I believe fans can and should voice their opinions. Dragging a player for making a decision that is best for their career and money making opportunities, like sitting out a bowl game, is bad. Dragging them for poor performance, attitude, etc is fine (and many disagree with that).

Davis was a leader on the team and he wanted to lead on the field and I love him for it. The outcome is terribly tragic. I wouldn't have thought less of him if he sat, but, I think, he knew his own teammates would. 

• Upvote 2

Athletes should never sit a game to rest their bodies. I buy tickets and merchandise that supports their pay and if I pay to go see them, they need to be on the field because I'm all that matters. I, gomeangreen.com poster, never take a day off from my desk job for a mental break or simply because I want to take a day off to relax. I show up every day whether I'm sick, mentally fatigued, dealing with family issues, or other issues because I'm the perfect employee.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Athletes should never sit a game to rest their bodies. I buy tickets and merchandise that supports their pay and if I pay to go see them, they need to be on the field because I'm all that matters. I, gomeangreen.com poster, never take a day off from my desk job for a mental break or simply because I want to take a day off to relax. I show up every day whether I'm sick, mentally fatigued, dealing with family issues, or other issues because I'm the perfect employee.

Wtf are you talking about

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Was fearful of this after the injury occurred on a non-contact play, but thought (and hoped) it was a lesser injury after reading the ‘all good’ comments back in Dec.

Talk about a guy who left it all the field for UNT. We should be celebrating his incredible career, not tearing down his decision to be with his team and play in the bowl game as his final action at UNT. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Players sit to rest during the season, not in the last game. Players sit out the last game because they feel the risk of injury is greater than the reward of playing, that or they just flat out don’t want to.

15 hours ago, Mean Green Eagle said:

Was fearful of this after the injury occurred on a non-contact play, but thought (and hoped) it was a lesser injury after reading the ‘all good’ comments back in Dec.

Talk about a guy who left it all the field for UNT. We should be celebrating his incredible career, not tearing down his decision to be with his team and play in the bowl game as his final action at UNT. 

I can't speak for everyone in this thread, but my comments aren't directed at KD and his decision.  He knew the risks, and chose to play.  I'm very proud of KD Davis and what he laid on the line (not just in this game) for UNT football over the years.   
My comments are directed at the people on here who expect players to play every game, no matter what, because of "loyalty" or some other crap, as if these players haven't shown enough of that already.   These folks will demean a player's accomplishments over the years, and/or blame them for a bowl loss (Torrey was directly credited by quite a few here for last year's bowl loss) when they decide it's better for them to sit out a bowl game in preparation for their shot at realizing a lifelong dream of playing in the NFL. 
KD's torn ACL should be all the evidence these folks should ever need to step back and respect those decisions moving forward instead of tearing these players down for their lack of "loyalty".

• Lovely Take 1

I don't really have anything to add to this thread other than, although they're not the same player by any means, KD has the same problem EJ Ejiya had in terms of playing in the NFL. He's just not fast enough unfortunately, and he won't be able to cover TE's or running backs so he won't last long. That doesn't take away from the fact that he was one hell of a player here and should be considered an all time great.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1