Update from Footballcoop.com (Monday Morning)

El Paso Eagle

• El Paso Eagle changed the title to Update from Footballcoop.com (Monday Morning)
3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I didn’t realize Kenny Perry was a finalist. Has the backing of Mattress Mack?  That’s an interesting development. 
Thanks for sharing, EPE. 

Edited by Glory to the Green
  • Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

Sources said Perry has the support of Bob Stoops, head coach of the Renegades, Joey McGuire, and Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale. The furniture and mattress magnate-turned-record-setting sports bettor is a North Texas alum who played for the Mean Green back when the school was known as North Texas State and has donated to the football program previously. Multiple sources said Perry has McIngvale's blessing for the job.

This is interesting, and not insignificant. There seems to have been a pretty hard press since WB took over to get Mattress Mack involved again.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

So we've got guys that have seen success as Head Coaches in Keeler and Fuente. Keeler is older but very successful at Sam Houston and as I understand it runs a wide open offense. He's only 5-4 this year though so curious as to what happened. He has two FCS national championships

Both coordinators from a very successful TCU this year. Curious what kind of offense Gillespie would run, he's used to being on teams that are spread oriented.

Kenny Perry is the high school guy that seems more and more popular with Traylor and McGuire finding success. Potentially bringing Mattress Mack back into the fold as a big money donor could be significant to financial growth in the program.

Honestly all of these candidates feel fairly whelming. I have no idea how to feel about any of them

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

So we've got guys that have seen success as Head Coaches in Keeler and Fuente. Keeler is older but very successful at Sam Houston and as I understand it runs a wide open offense. He's only 5-4 this year though so curious as to what happened. He has two FCS national championships

Both coordinators from a very successful TCU this year. Curious what kind of offense Gillespie would run, he's used to being on teams that are spread oriented.

Kenny Perry is the high school guy that seems more and more popular with Traylor and McGuire finding success. Potentially bringing Mattress Mack back into the fold as a big money donor could be significant to financial growth in the program.

Honestly all of these candidates feel fairly underwhelming. I have no idea how to feel about any of them

There was talk that half the SHsu roster redshirted in anticipation of the fcs move… which partially explains the record drop off 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

He's only 5-4 this year though so curious as to what happened. He has two FCS national championships

Transition year and he kept a lot of players out to red shirt. Kept them out in different groups to mix up. Only game he player all "starters" was SFA

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

There was talk that half the SHsu roster redshirted in anticipation of the fcs move… which partially explains the record drop off 

This. Basically, since there was no possible post season opportunities because of the transition, many of the stud players redshirted. 

Edited by Anarkissed
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Transition year and he kept a lot of players out to red shirt. Kept them out in different groups to mix up. Only game he player all "starters" was SGA

Typo but he means SFA in the “Battle of the Piney Woods”. Basically the only coach Keeler chose to be full strength against was Colby Carthel and his fiesty SFA program. SFA lost by 1 point for the second year in a row despite Sam having more scholarship players as they transition to fbs.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Honestly all of these candidates feel fairly whelming. I have no idea how to feel about any of them

Gillespie is a copy of the Traylor and McGuire model. Gillespie coached at a state power (Stephenville) for many years and won a state title before moving up to college. Since then he's been a successful DC at Tulsa and now TCU. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Gillespie is a copy of the Traylor and McGuire model. Gillespie coached at a state power (Stephenville) for many years and won a state title before moving up to college. Since then he's been a successful DC at Tulsa and now TCU. 

He is the one I like most off the list after reading about them.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, golfingomez said:

yeah, regardless of how you feel about him, having Mack on board with UNT can only be considered a W for the university, since his last interactions with UNT, he has become a brand, and based on his betting, he has more money to blow. 

I view this as a positive, and would assume his influence is tied to the dollars he spends.

Yeah, Mack’s blessing shouldn’t be reason 1 on hiring someone… but reason 3? 4? It’s definitely in their minds. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

yeah, regardless of how you feel about him, having Mack on board with UNT can only be considered a W for the university, since his last interactions with UNT, he has become a brand, and based on his betting, he has more money to blow. 

I view this as a positive, and would assume his influence is tied to the dollars he spends.

As I have said before, these bets are simply a hedge against his furniture store promotions. He isn’t just pocketing all of this cash.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Mattress-Mack-Astros-bet-Gallery-Furniture-offer-17175857.php

• Upvote 1